iman29

Feb 27th

Hello Stephens, Ice to Meet You
Distance 9.2 mi
Moving Time 1:07:10
Elapsed Time 1:50:08
Avg Speed 8.3 mi/h
Elev Gain 774 ft

First time at Stephens with a friend who agreed to take me on a beginner tour. We made an attempt to first ride the ST loop at the BSA camp but it was too icy as mentioned in the ST email so we had to turn back after the lake where it comes back into the fire road (before the monument). Going back up the switchback was "fun".
Then my tour guide took me back across the road and we headed for "the maze" which also turned out to be not rideable but if you had a bobsled you would have been golden.
Finally we went back to the gravel roads and around the lake and back to the gate to finish up.

I was lucky to borrow his 29er HT Stumpjumper since we are almost the same size, cause my old Rockhopper 26er is just not cutting it and I know its too small. Such a huge difference to be on a proper bike especially in new trails and having to navigate trail debris and balance carefully on some icy but rideable sections (think thin crunchy stuff).

Even with all the hike a bike, and taking a sliding spill on the ice while walking, it was still a great time and I cant wait to come back to these trails when they are in proper condition.

1551303510270.png

Avoided a potential disaster I dont even know how long this was stuck there...

1551303634511.png

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
so i don't get this zwift route thing - if i pick a route, do the automagic turns follow that route?
it didn't seem to - i went to do a hilly 8 in watopia, and first turn it wanted to go the other way.....

also, i'm climbing the epic kom - which is a dumb name - and i can see the gate that is the end of the segment.
i've got a top 5 for the day, and i'm not paying attention. there is a turn right before it to climb another whatever.
it made the turn, and took me off the segment with .2 to go (or so.) oh well - i managed the to place 50916 /97981
so that was cool 37 minute climb for me, avg 7%, topped out at 15%. other than the bike being "flat" - the resistance felt
realistic. it is funny how it matches the visual so well. at one point i was going dh fast around a corner, and the
cues def made the body react.

cresting the pinnacle - they don't even charge for the pictures.

IMG_3038.JPG

iman29

When the click to change route thing comes up just ignore it they changed that feature a while back and it doesn’t make much sense to me. But once you pick a route you should not have to make any manual turns (meaning pick a turn yourself during the ride )

Patrick

Staff member
3 weeks left! might have some magic snow tomorrow through the end of the week. to be seen.

i'm going to attempt a fatbike ride today - there is the evening gravel ride, but i'm going to stay inside and join the hbcc group for zwift richmond.
it is a casual ride, so should be a good recovery after yesterday's climb. check the hbcc fb page for more info.

some big numbers being posted - some from consistent riding, some from a combo of riding and running. we even had a swim or two registered.

Keep up the work - see ya all at short track - i hope - or hoh.....

iman29

Catch up posting:

Feb 28th

Four Instead of Fore

Distance 24.1 mi
Moving Time 1:42:21
Avg Speed 14.1 mi/h
Elev Gain 2,303 ft

For some reason I felt the need to do some hills this day, and on top of that I decided to take my heavier Aloo-mini-um bike off the trainer and out on the road. Turns out this ideas was a good one because despite the sunny day it was effing cold and windy.

I convinced one of my WFH buddies to meet me while I picked a local climb thats just about 3/4 of a mile next to the golf course (hence the slick ride title) and do some repeats. I got 2 of them done before he joined me and I was really cold heading downhill. we did the hill 2 more times and on the 3rd one we hammered the last few feet which pretty much wiped me out. We added some more miles but the wind/cold was too much and he was a bit under dressed so we headed back. Still good mini workout for HoH prep just hoping its not that cold and Windy March 24th.

Patrick

Staff member
did a 1-hour zwift group ride - we hit the short climbs, then regrouped. kept it interesting, trying to learn the cues that zwift
provides. tuck, sitting on the top tube, in the hoods, grabbing the water bottle. then using the map to come back together.
was supposed to avg under 2.0 w/kg - mine was a tick or two over, and i did a long cool-down.

my bike/trainer moves forward when i stand - i ran into the fan today.
also figured out my tv is too high and hurting my neck..

helicopter caught us on one of the flats.

IMG_3043.JPG

iman29

did a 1-hour zwift group ride - we hit the short climbs, then regrouped. kept it interesting, trying to learn the cues that zwift
provides. tuck, sitting on the top tube, in the hoods, grabbing the water bottle. then using the map to come back together.
was supposed to avg under 2.0 w/kg - mine was a tick or two over, and i did a long cool-down.

View attachment 89359

fyi if you go downhill on Zwift, there's some opposite mechanics built into the game where if you pedal slower or even stop pedaling, your avatar will tuck in and go faster. This might be easier on my dumb trainer, not sure how this works with a wheel on smart trainer like Hammer or Kickr.

iman29

March 3rd - Not ST #1 :-(

Peace and Tranquility Before the Storm
Distance 42.7 mi
Moving Time 2:45:26
Avg Speed 15.5 mi/h
Elev Gain 3,107 ft

So no short track race, that means time for a road ride. After another round of text messaging the regulars " hey want to ride tomorrow" I ended up with one taker and wanted to see some new roads anyway. We rode from the Stanhope area, up through Andover , Allamuchy and Great Meadows (yes we passed the BSA Camp) and back through Hackettstown. The temps were chilly but in classic calm before the storm mode, there was zero wind until the end of the ride (around 12PM). We had sun all day and very few cars. He picked a great loop with one good climb which I had not done before, which was a good test for me to continue fine tuning my pacing/cadence up long climbs. I am really working hard on not killing myself on the hills and riding smarter, and I think I have made some progress to the point where HoH wont crush me this year. ( I hope!).

Temps and views were too good not to take some pics so here you go.

Now you know where my ride title comes from....

1551758368062.png

1551758423219.png

1551758451938.png

jklett

View attachment 89359
Who's that getting abducted by aliens?

Patrick

Staff member
So for the trainer people that are interested in the Hb group rides - you will need to do a couple things.
join the hilltop club, which is just a free registration. There is a waiver - and if you go on an
outside ride with them, you have to sign in, but that is not what that is about.
https://www.bikereg.com/hbcchbw-membership0

then join their fb page, which requires approval - don't tell them you know me.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/283403621786661/

then read-up on their expectations/instructions.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1xuzaFdglS1K0-GNNUVtdVwMd-UrMaPlpjy_srszxc9U/edit?usp=sharing

have at it - tip, Glenn does not like people passing him.

RobW

So for the trainer people that are interested in the Hb group rides - you will need to do a couple things.
join the hilltop club, which is just a free registration. There is a waiver - and if you go on an
outside ride with them, you have to sign in, but that is not what that is about.
https://www.bikereg.com/hbcchbw-membership0

then join their fb page, which requires approval - don't tell them you know me.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/283403621786661/

then read-up on their expectations/instructions.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1xuzaFdglS1K0-GNNUVtdVwMd-UrMaPlpjy_srszxc9U/edit?usp=sharing

have at it - tip, Glenn does not like people passing him.
what if you pass him doing a superman?

Top Bottom