Indoor/Outdoor BIYF smack 2018/2019 - it's on

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
i don't think we've had trouble getting people to run this -
5 years ago dave did it (and before that)
4 years ago i helped dave -
3 years ago, i wrote a google form for input (bonus for dark, cold, long, multiple parks)
two years ago, @rlb and I did the scribing - report ride, we loaded it by hand into the spreadsheet
last year, we used a strava group, i wrote some code to sum it up - once a day copy/paste to get it to work. @rlb was the rules official - we didn't have any issues. (we also had the march madness for the top 16)
was planning on just re-using the code for saddle time - so the base scoring is in place. including putting people into classes, and having multiple classes - like a private OOS leaderboard.

additional positions available:
Shit stirrer
Haranguer
Winer, whiner, weiner, whyner - combined for convenience

rlb

It takes a lot of work to run these and stay on top of the scoring so I applaud @fidodie for stepping up and leading it yet again!

Several years ago people complained about the breakaway riders who had no chance of being caught, so we did classes. That seemed to work well enough and it was a simple solution. Having a zwift class is really no different in my mind. You can argue that it flies in the face of the original BIYF spirit, but I'd also remind everyone that the whole point is to keep people engaged and participating and staying fit during the winter. The options today are a bit different than 5-6 years ago so why not adapt? There's still insulation between the inside and outside riders. This was started as a MTB site, so why do we allow so much talk of road riding?

The discussion in the threads was a whole different thing. Part of the fun was keeping up with what others did, and the write-up bonus was a way to encourage that. But it's a bonus, so people complained! Just ride, wherever you can.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Emoji test?

some can see it, some can't!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom