I'm happiest when biking at walking speed

Jmann

Never gonna let you down.
There’s still sections of ringwood that I’ve yet to ride cleanly. Especially that climb from the creek to the cliffs on red (if your coming from the school going towards Skyline, cross the creek and start rock climbing). There’s a couple spots I always end up dabbing.

phillychris498

There’s still sections of ringwood that I’ve yet to ride cleanly. Especially that climb from the creek to the cliffs on red (if your coming from the school going towards Skyline, cross the creek and start rock climbing). There’s a couple spots I always end up dabbing.
I do remember the boardwalks connecting boulders on that one trail at Beebe. Really cool place. I rode Ringwood on monday and was able to clean that one climb without dabbing, but was weezing by the time I was done climbing. That section of Ringwood along with the Hoeferlin trail on top of the ridge up there is one of my favorite in the park.

phillychris498

With a lot of the trails mentioned, you start crossing over to trials type riding. Balance skills need to be real sharp.
Although my trial skills are lacking, I'm working on the ability to balance on the front wheel and throw my back wheel into the right spot for positioning myself to get around tight corners and tough sections. I'd love to be able to hop up some crazy rock climbs, but for now I just hammer on the pedals to get speed to start the climb, shift down hard and then balance and spin to the top. It's much easier to describe these skills than it is to perform them though...

blackburn1973

Today’s ride was the gnarliest possible at fugawe. 8 miles there took us just under 3 hours, 2 hours of which we spent pedaling. This is the view from the top of mesina’s wall, a 200 foot roller (the largest you’ll ever encounter on a mountain bike trail). Literally a never ending, relentless trail system of pure rock. Surprisingly my average of 4 miles an hour from tonight was my fastest ever at the Fugawe...View attachment 70482

Where's Fugawe? Not familiar with that one. Know all the rest of the NJ spots you mentioned.

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Where's Fugawe? Not familiar with that one. Know all the rest of the NJ spots you mentioned.

It's near Splitrock, and eventhough it's on Strava now, it's still somewhat fight club.

Today’s ride was the gnarliest possible at fugawe.

Heh, if you think that's hard, you should check out some of Mike's "other" trails.

phillychris498

Heh, if you think that's hard, you should check out some of Mike's "other" trails.

Where are the other trails? Are you talking about Erzberg? I've done some of those trails with the bulldogs back on Wednesday Night Rides, but I'm sure there's plenty we didn't cover.

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
I think I have conquered that on SS...

phillychris498

My last ride in “the states” was today at South Mountain, outside of Allentown PA. Id recommend it to anyone in central/western new jersey. Tons of rock options on the side of the trail and rock gardens that you can’t ride around. There’s even a section on the Red blazed trail with a drop into a creek. Overall a really fun, easy to navigate park. My favorite feature was this rock drop on the Bug trail (black blaze):

F67903A8-CD65-4859-9A72-88502036429C.jpeg

teabagger11

we have a section of trail in my area that is called Witness, the reason for the name was you could only claim to have made it through if someone actually saw you do it, there was a wooden plaque at the end that you would scratch your name on with a provided nail. if i remember only about 3 people had made it i wasn't one of them. after a few people had gotten hurt pretty good on it we kinda stopped using it, as it may or may not have been on private land, it's still there but pretty grown in

rick81721

Lothar
OK this is one of my nemeses at the sourlands - white trail section to roaring rocks. Have never cleaned it going up, down isn't too bad. Come to think of it, I did clean it once but that was when frozen snow filled in all the gaps kinda like concrete so that doesn't count... or maybe a few bags of concrete is the solution :shrug:

anywho, tips??

34286401_1326481230830327_3816909862265159680_n.jpg

Dingo

OK this is one of my nemeses at the sourlands - white trail section to roaring rocks. Have never cleaned it going up, down isn't too bad. Come to think of it, I did clean it once but that was when frozen snow filled in all the gaps kinda like concrete so that doesn't count... or maybe a few bags of concrete is the solution :shrug:

anywho, tips??

I have never cleaned going up, always seem to get bounced around and 'off' the line. Going down, most times can clean it but still bounced around. The other rock crossing near the top, same thing always better going down. At one time someone had spray painted the line on the top one, that sure kept me focused, always head up and don't look down.

I've been witness to riders that make it look like pavement.

I love riding here, but getting better every year is off set by being older and out of shape. My favorite trails ever.

Last edited:

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's

anywho, tips??

Ride Six Mile.

phillychris498

anywho, tips??

That's one of the few lines at Sourlands I've never conquered once. I always aim for the large, flat-faced boulder to the left of the rocks but never make it there. It seems like once you make it to the top of that rock it's smooth sailing through the rest of the line. Easier said than done...

rick81721

Lothar
That's one of the few lines at Sourlands I've never conquered once. I always aim for the large, flat-faced boulder to the left of the rocks but never make it there. It seems like once you make it to the top of that rock it's smooth sailing through the rest of the line. Easier said than done...

That's interesting, I always try to hit exactly where my front disk brake rotor is in the pic. I'm the worlds worst "try alternate lines" guy!

blackburn1973

That's interesting, I always try to hit exactly where my front disk brake rotor is in the pic. I'm the worlds worst "try alternate lines" guy!

That's the easier entry point based on the roots and whatnot entering in but going hard left is definitely the way to go (though for the record I've never cleaned it myself ... those who I've seen do it are all about the left).

Top Bottom