I'm happiest when biking at walking speed

phillychris498

For anyone with doubts on Massachusetts gnar, here are a couple of my favorite rollers at School Street in Gloucester. The second one is never ending, the picture from the bottom doesn’t do it justice.

FCDE552E-1A44-46D4-9632-99F3969A253E.png
8539A234-441F-49DD-9F15-4F54599DC706.png

My favorite Mass gnar, though, is Lynn Woods. It’s another world of monster rollers there. Here’s one of the most intimidating with a top and bottom view:

B5F74DE7-5C4E-4494-BC9E-AB8F5FB669FB.png
BA321DB3-319E-4D12-8B05-56D6928C860B.png

J-Dro

Sourlands has a new trail - Chunky Monkey.
It was built to learn a section or two at a time. Maybe it will be rideable this year, if it stops raining for a few weeks.

https://www.strava.com/segments/16061782

you know it is tough when @J-Dro is doing under 4mph....

Chunky Monkey kicks my ass every time... and I love it. Linking a few of those chunky sections in a row makes for a great day. But all days aren't great haha.

2018 has been nuts with all the rain. Never dried up from the snow nd its mid June!

blackburn1973

That's the same system, yes. One of my favorite places to ride is School Street, which links up to Red Rocks in West Gloucester. If you're up there in late August let me know, that's when I'll be in Massachusetts next.

Cool. I'm going to be up in mid/late July; nothing scheduled for late August but that could/might change.

blackburn1973

For anyone with doubts on Massachusetts gnar, here are a couple of my favorite rollers at School Street in Gloucester. The second one is never ending, the picture from the bottom doesn’t do it justice.

View attachment 70407View attachment 70408

My favorite Mass gnar, though, is Lynn Woods. It’s another world of monster rollers there. Here’s one of the most intimidating with a top and bottom view:

View attachment 70412View attachment 70413

For anyone interested in some more views of Lynn Woods and other gnar spots in Mass, you can see some in the images/vids on this site: http://dieselbikes.com/

Was a local, Mass freeride group that I believe is disbanded (or at least no longer update the site). Provides some vids of Lynn Woods and Bruce & Tom's (you can also find some on Youtube). Was back in a time when Sinister Bikes was still around (Frank the welder used to do frames for them).

phillychris498

For anyone interested in some more views of Lynn Woods and other gnar spots in Mass, you can see some in the images/vids on this site: http://dieselbikes.com/

Was a local, Mass freeride group that I believe is disbanded (or at least no longer update the site). Provides some vids of Lynn Woods and Bruce & Tom's (you can also find some on Youtube). Was back in a time when Sinister Bikes was still around (Frank the welder used to do frames for them).
I wasn't aware of that site, those guys are awesome. I really gotta ride Bruce n Toms with a local that knows the lines... the one time I went I ended up doubling back to ride lines I missed and I'm sure I missed some of the best trails in the park. This a file of the one ride I did there:

https://www.strava.com/activities/1543773903

phillychris498

Today’s ride was the gnarliest possible at fugawe. 8 miles there took us just under 3 hours, 2 hours of which we spent pedaling. This is the view from the top of mesina’s wall, a 200 foot roller (the largest you’ll ever encounter on a mountain bike trail). Literally a never ending, relentless trail system of pure rock. Surprisingly my average of 4 miles an hour from tonight was my fastest ever at the Fugawe...
92029418-C07F-424F-AB48-F96C2024F3EB.jpeg

Jmann

Never gonna let you down.

View attachment 70407View attachment 70408

View attachment 70412View attachment 70413
Cool thread. I love the rocks.
There’s a bunch of steep rollers in Lincoln woods in RI. I always say I’m going to do them when I’m around but when I’m there it’s like nah.

Another one for the list is the Anne Jackson trail at Beebe Hill in austerlitz NY.

Jmann

I’ve only ridden it a couple times, but the section of white trail at wildcat from the creek to where it reconnects with orange on the climb from the batcave lot. I know it’s possible, but man is it gnarly.

Last edited:

phillychris498

I’ve only ridden it a couple times, but the section of white trail at wildcat from the creek to where it reconnects with orange on the climb from the batcave lot. I know it’s possible, but man is it gnarly.
I did ride Beebe hill once with a local, not sure if I rode Anne Jackson though. You can tell me if you if strava tells you enough:

https://www.strava.com/activities/1037203304

And everything at wildcat is technical. I think i’ve done that section of white down but not up. The trail referred to as “New way down” from the hawk watch is gnarly too.

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
Ringwood Red trail and whatever the trail is going through Pearson’s.
Hartshorne(yup I said Hartshorne) the Doubla Chachunk climb to water tower is the only trail I see people unclip on almost every time I ride.
Waywayanda Pumphouse trail.
Rothrock area Baby and No name trails.
Chimney Rock Hi Texh CCW.

rick81721

Lothar

phillychris498

Jmann

I did ride Beebe hill once with a local, not sure if I rode Anne Jackson though. You can tell me if you if strava tells you enough:

https://www.strava.com/activities/1037203304

And everything at wildcat is technical. I think i’ve done that section of white down but not up. The trail referred to as “New way down” from the hawk watch is gnarly too.
You did ride AJ, it’s the one that sort of runs parallel to the road. The second half gets really tricky. You might remember a skinny board connecting two boulders. That last section is hard to clear. It’s relatively flat, just weird shaped rocks.

Top Bottom