I'm crushed ...

Fat Trout

Mike has a survey that is asking why people didn't sign up. Maybe you can reach out to him and fill one out with info that you'd like the date moved.

I think part of what happened here is long-term and part is more specific to this year. The weather this year has been awful, and a lot of people may not be thinking of racing at all yet. But then I think there is also the possibility that this is a continuing trend and XC and even endurance racing in general are declining because it's just too much of a hassle for promoters and racers. A lot of events have disappeared from the calendar over the last few years, and even those that haven't are not getting the numbers anymore. Why would promoters put themselves out there for small fields that barely cover costs? I think we've seen a growth in MTB "festivals" - the crowds are going to these places where they can demo bikes and hang out on casual group rides with friends. People have limited time to give, so they're choosing to use it for those type of outings rather than racing. Makes sense.

Personally, I have no interest in overcrowded festivals that put tons of riders on limited trails moving along at leisure pace. I'd rather just go find my own adventures. I'm thinking right now that I may do something like that rather than try to find other races. I may just hop on my bike and go exploring for a bit with the time off I reserved for TSE. I had a lot of fun riding solo from DC to Pittsburgh in October, and there are plenty of rides like that all over the country. And I've been eyeing up the possibility of doing one long "hit 'em all" ride for the trail systems in my region for a while now. I could basically start from my house and keep spiraling outward to hit everything from Wiss to Blue Marsh to Fair Hill in one big multi-day bikepacking excursion. Or maybe something else. I don't know. At the moment, though - and I'm sure this is largely just disappointment talking) I'm kind of thinking that the juice might not be worth the squeeze for continuing organized racing. There's a lot of other ways to get my fix that don't rely on other people wanting the same experience.
You could make a trip out of it and try singletrack 6. Still seems to be open & they have a 3 day. I did BCBR but that was a bit much @ 7 days. Sells out super fast. I've thought about trying ST6 or just going back to BC and riding for myself.

http://singletrack6.com/2018-singletrack-6/

Consult_Ant

Whats crazy is that the Pisgah Stage Race is 95% sold out; what gives?
Pisgah is cheaper and offers better trails, some would say. Much easier to justify a 5 day in Pisgah over TSE, for less money. Every bit of feedback I have ever heard about TSE is generally negative. The fireroad to singletrack ration didn't seem to square with most people's interests. I think the trails are probably great for the region, but that doesn't justify spending $1200+ to go ride there, IMO.

Consult_Ant

Care to share that feedback? I've participated in the last (2) TSEpic 5-day events, only negative would have been rain related. I'm sure the race promoter would want to know it too.

7 Question Epic survey
I've not done TSE, but the individuals who have and communicated their feedback highlighted that it was disproportionately more fireroad/doubletrack to actual trail - and when it was trail it was basically your traditional east coast rock gardens. I can understand how after just a few days the 'climb fire road to descend rock gardens' can be quite brutal and mentally redundant. They also highlighted the general lackluster condition of the cabins. Don't get me wrong, I get why they call it 'singletrack summercamp' in that you're actually out there camping in a "summer camp" modeled environment. But at $1200 you have to consider your clientele too. How many folks are going to travel in and pay that kind of money for that sort of experience?

Ultimately, the feedback I've received has kept it off my list (which includes VT3, Breck Epic and La Ruta this year - for comparison)

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
my list (which includes VT3, Breck Epic and La Ruta this year

i_dont_even_ndt.gif

:)

Wait, are you doing all 3? Or you're picking from these?

In 2016 I did both the pisgah stage race and tse. Pisgah is designed to challenge you but doesn't leave you destroyed. Imagine 5xc races in a row. TSE was like 5 endurance races in a row. Big difference in difficulty. If you're just looking to finish it's probably not outside the reach of anyone who can train a few days in a row. If you're trying to be competitive at tse it really requires top level fitness. I managed to win my category on mediocre fitness and paid dearly for the rest of the season. I was totally shot. Forget about racing the rest of that year. That being said I'd love to do it again. The experience was amazing. I just didn't sign up again because I have other goals and didn't want to spend the rest of the summer on the couch.

JDurk

disproportionately more fireroad/doubletrack to actual trail - and when it was trail it was basically your traditional east coast rock gardens. I can understand how after just a few days the 'climb fire road to descend rock gardens' can be quite brutal and mentally redundant

Overall more fire road to ST in '17 than '16. Rain courses were used in '17 for at least 2 stages if I remember correctly, per land managers. There was quite a bit of rain in '16, but I don't remember courses being altered.

my list (which includes VT3, Breck Epic and La Ruta this year - for comparison)

That's a hell of a list, please provide race re-caps.

In 2016 I did both the pisgah stage race and tse. Pisgah is designed to challenge you but doesn't leave you destroyed. Imagine 5xc races in a row. TSE was like 5 endurance races in a row. Big difference in difficulty. If you're just looking to finish it's probably not outside the reach of anyone who can train a few days in a row. If you're trying to be competitive at tse it really requires top level fitness. I managed to win my category on mediocre fitness and paid dearly for the rest of the season. I was totally shot. Forget about racing the rest of that year. That being said I'd love to do it again. The experience was amazing. I just didn't sign up again because I have other goals and didn't want to spend the rest of the summer on the couch.

For me, '16 felt way more difficult than '17 and I agree with your assessment. Was just looking to finish. '17 overall was less mileage and climbing than '16. (151mi/19600ft vs 175mi/21535ft) And you did it on a SS, which is insane!

I remember right after it finished in 15 they started hyping 16 up immediately. That's when I preregistered. There was a lot of excitement around it then. There always seems to be a lot of excitement about mountain biking in the summer (hint hint)
I don't know why but it seems like I haven't heard much about tse this year until this announcement.
I can't imagine the work that must go into an event like this. Hats off to promoters for giving a bunch of middle aged peeps something to do all summer.

Top Bottom