I'm 5'8"~5'9" talk me in/out of buying a large frame

bergsnj

Hi, I have the opportunity to buy a really nice used yeti sb5(2018 model) like I want but the only catch is that it is a size large and I am in between 5'8" - 5'9" tall. Some say that you want the bigger/longer wheelbase bike for stability and others say that it would be less nimble. What are your feelings? I typically ride medium but have owned a large years ago.

Mtbdog

Inseam vs. standover height. Only time you will notice difference, is standing still. Go for it then hit up an OOS ride so we can check it out!

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
At 5' 10" I'm always between a medium and a large, and I usually go with the large. It depends on the brand and model though. Your best bet is to ride it first and see, but I'm guessing that's not an option. I'm sure the geometry is different, but I've got a large 2014 sb-95 if you want to take it for a spin to try and get an idea.

THATmanMANNY

did you try it?

It used to be like that but more recent "enduro" designs have been longer wheelbases and shorter stems and chainstays and one brand will be different from another. Sooo it's really how YOU fit on it.

I'm your height and I have a LARGE 2012 enduro with a 35mm stem that I put on. Loving t for the pass 4 years. 26er for life!

bergsnj

the Yeti site has the SB5 at 5'7"-5'11" for medium and 5'11"-6'3" for a large..
Yea, thats why i'm worried it will be too big for me. But I am going to test ride the bike this sunday. I'm really hoping it feels good to ride. My old bike that was a large was kind of harder to bunny hop and more cumbersome than my current bike which is a medium. But that old large was from 2009 and a lot has changed since then.

Glenn Rides After 4 PM CST

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I ride medium frame Pivots.
Had a chance to test ride a Sb5.5 that was a large frame and thought that if fit well. Frame was to tall but seat to bars felt good.
I'm 5'6" and all bike manufacturer say I should be on a small.

RobW

I was riding mediums at 5’8. I sized up to a large and feel way more in the bike and stable.

pixychick

JORBA: Ringwood
JORBA.ORG
I would not get too hung up an what mfg says for fit guidelines. They are guidelines and all people vary. Art just got a sb5.5 in large. He was 5'10", but may only be 5'9" these days. He has been ridding mediums in Yeti, trek, pivot and Niner for a long time, but likes the large he has. Short stems wide bars are the new norm. You can do a lot with how you set up, but need to keep track of top tube length and how it will translate to the fit.

dmc123

I'm 5'4" and I demoed both the SB5 in medium and small. I did really well with both and didn't feel bad on either. Maybe a little bit harder to pick up the front wheel on a medium. Had one shop owner tell me to go with the medium and another tell me small. I called Yeti today and they said definitely small citing its easier to lengthen a small with a longer stem then it is to shorten a medium. I am just about to order it and still torn, probably going small.

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
The # of most value here is the reach#

I’m 5-9.5” , I buy pants in a 30 inseam.

I look for a reach # of 460 to 475. This is common on a modern lg

This is mildy helpful but perhaps a starting Point.

It’s noteworthy that a warranty is typically non transferable to a second owner.

SmooveP

I'm 5'8" and I ride a medium sb5+ and it feels a bit cramped to me. I test rode a friend's sb5+ in XL and was surprised to find that it wasn't unridably big. I admit to liking a more stretched out position on the bike. Test ride for sure!

Mr.Moto

5'7" on a really good day. Okay, really 5'6" on a medium SB5+. They don't make a small. It was initially a concern for me, but the reach is right. The only issue is the seat tube length for me. Short legs mean I don't have much dropper post to use. May not be an issue for you.

dmc123

Is there any way to calculate reach or is it just a preference number? @jdog you would have to get an XL Yeti SB5 to get a reach in your range. Not sure what my reach is but a small is 402mm, medium is 423mm and XL is 463mm. Making me second guess going small.

02camaro

I ended up not buying the used large SB5 LR. Instead got a brand new medium 2018 SB5.5 on sale for 20% off. Pretty psyched about it.
awesome bike, great for all types of riding. i really love mine.

what build did you get?

Reactions: Tim

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
The # of most value here is the reach#

I’m 5-9.5” , I buy pants in a 30 inseam.

I look for a reach # of 460 to 475. This is common on a modern lg

This is mildy helpful but perhaps a starting Point.

It’s noteworthy that a warranty is typically non transferable to a second owner.
I am j's same size more or less we both ride a 56 EVO, however I ride a slightly longer stem.

However, I ride a medium 5010. 5'8, 5'9 is right on border between M/L. You could ride either and still be ok.

Top Bottom