IGVENTURE

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I've practiced yoga for a few years but never tried hot yoga, why to you need special clothes for it?
You don't need special clothes, however given the amount of sweat produced it's best to wear something like a bathing suit, but at the same time not look like you're wearing a bathing suit.

thegock

No I don't listen to podcasts, but if you let me know who the speaker is, I'd be interested in what they have published/written.

So, Rick, (may I call you SNOWFAK3?), I didn't used to listen to podcasts either, but in my work, I have to keep up with technologies. The TED talks are quite good and once you try podcasts, you will get used to them, but they took me a little while to get used to. The one on food is pretty good. Discusses the evolution of packaged foods in the US.

@rick81721

rick81721

Lothar
So, Rick, (may I call you SNOWFAK3?), I didn't used to listen to podcasts either, but in my work, I have to keep up with technologies. The TED talks are quite good and once you try podcasts, you will get used to them, but they took me a little while to get used to. The one on food is pretty good. Discusses the evolution of packaged foods in the US.

@rick81721

I'm a visual person, I have to read something (other than music) to get into it. Listening to some clown babble has no appeal. Besides, who is this Ted guy and what qualifies him to know so much about so many topics? Not buying it.. ?

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I've practiced yoga for a few years but never tried hot yoga, why to you need special clothes for it?

1) It's hot, so you want clothes that work well for that, similar to biking. Loose pants and a cotton T-shirt may work for regular yoga, but you'll die in the heat and humidity with Hot Yoga.
2) Running shorts work really well as they're short and lightweight. However depending on the pair they bunch up when you move from one position to another, to a point where I'm physically restricted and have to un-bunch the leg so I can move freely. Some shorts that happens, others it doesn't.

I'm just going with what works, people do different things. But if you do hot yoga long enough you realize the people who do it a lot wear next to nothing. Guys that aren't fat like me are topless, girls in sports bras. Women I've noticed do the short-shorts often lately that aren't loose like traditional running shorts.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
So I think the takeaway here is that if you do yoga you either wear Lululemon clothes or dress like you’re on the roster of the Boston Celtics during the 1980’s.

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I looked this guy up. He's a journalist who sells cook books. No education or training in physiology, biochemistry or nutrition. No offense but I don't take people like that seriously. Just like I wouldn't take my car to someone who writes about cars to service a problem, I'd take it to a certified mechanic.
The talk has several speakers, I think you will appreciate what Dr Robert Lustig has to say about sugar at about 22 minutes into the talk. I posted this link to this Ted Talk because I found it to be very enlightening and wanted to share it with others. I understand there are a lot of quacks out there, with questionable motives, however I found this to be the opposite of those types. I'd encourage you to give it a listen. :)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Lustig

rick81721

Lothar
The talk has several speakers, I think you will appreciate what Dr Robert Lustig has to say about sugar at about 22 minutes into the talk. I posted this link to this Ted Talk because I found it to be very enlightening and wanted to share it with others. I understand there are a lot of quacks out there, with questionable motives, however I found this to be the opposite of those types. I'd encourage you to give it a listen. :)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Lustig

Sorry man, it seems Lustig's rep is less than stellar:

https://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/850032

https://health.spectator.co.uk/the-...-is-so-flawed-it-tells-us-nothing-whatsoever/

https://sciencebasedmedicine.org/does-the-movie-fed-up-make-sense/

rick81721

Lothar
"My advice is to grasp firmly your common sense, and stay grounded."

I liked these lines as well:

"How evil can hummingbird fuel be?"

"Breast milk — and I trust no one is foolhardy enough to suggest that breast milk is evil! — is a sugar-sweetened beverage."

qclabrat

1) It's hot, so you want clothes that work well for that, similar to biking. Loose pants and a cotton T-shirt may work for regular yoga, but you'll die in the heat and humidity with Hot Yoga.
2) Running shorts work really well as they're short and lightweight. However depending on the pair they bunch up when you move from one position to another, to a point where I'm physically restricted and have to un-bunch the leg so I can move freely. Some shorts that happens, others it doesn't.

I'm just going with what works, people do different things. But if you do hot yoga long enough you realize the people who do it a lot wear next to nothing. Guys that aren't fat like me are topless, girls in sports bras. Women I've noticed do the short-shorts often lately that aren't loose like traditional running shorts.
that just sounds too intimidating to me. I'll stick with my type till I perfect the Wounded Peacock
1548683535628.png

graveyardman67

Team MTBNJ Halter's

Dig deeper... All these articles are written by industry bitches, propped up by big pharma. Lustig's research has all good intentions of trying to break the cycle of sugar abuse; granted his presentations have been radical but it is necessary. Katz in his article misrepresents Lustig's premise completely. yadayadayada, we go in circles for days with all of these men and women all throwing pitchforks at each other.

I'm not here to convince anyone of anything. But from experience, sugar=bad, and it's that simple. Stick to whole foods, eliminate processed foods, especially containing sugars. I think that's all the Igmaster General is trying to say and to provide some references that may help other people as it has helped him (and me).

rick81721

Lothar
But from experience, sugar=bad, and it's that simple.

This is exactly the point of the rebuttals I posted. Sugar=bad/evil is a scientific absurdity. Our bodies are designed to use sugar (glucose) for fuel. Without it, we die. If you want to argue too much sugar is bad, that's a different story. Drinking a qt of sugared soda a day - probably a bad idea. The occasional sugared snack? That's fine. Moderation is a good basic rule to follow - it applies to pretty much everything in life.

graveyardman67

Team MTBNJ Halter's
This is exactly the point of the rebuttals I posted. Sugar=bad/evil is a scientific absurdity. Our bodies are designed to use sugar (glucose) for fuel. Without it, we die. If you want to argue too much sugar is bad, that's a different story. Drinking a qt of sugared soda a day - probably a bad idea. The occasional sugared snack? That's fine. Moderation is a good basic rule to follow - it applies to pretty much everything in life.

Rephrase. Processed sugars=bad. I think that’s what everyone is trying to say. I eat fruit. Never drink soda. I have milk. Wouldn’t touch anything with corn syrup. It’s excess. Shit I have Gu on a long ride because I know I need it.

I think the point is Iggy, from his own old ass experience, is trying help other people understand what has helped him not only in cycling but in life. And based upon my own, almost as old ass experience, would completely agree with his assessment.
Some people just like to be contrary to others own experiences. Which boggles my mind because I’m not listening to it, or reading it. I lived it.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
^^^i know people on a sugar based diet, and it isn't pretty.
they are in for 100grams before taking a shower.
worry about eating oranges mid-day cause diabetic. go figure
can't tell them anything.

alcohol does not metabolize into anything that looks like sugar. #fact. of course if you put it into .....

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
Rephrase. Processed sugars=bad. I think that’s what everyone is trying to say. I eat fruit. Never drink soda. I have milk. Wouldn’t touch anything with corn syrup. It’s excess. Shit I have Gu on a long ride because I know I need it.

I think the point is Iggy, from his own old ass experience, is trying help other people understand what has helped him not only in cycling but in life. And based upon my own, almost as old ass experience, would completely agree with his assessment.
Some people just like to be contrary to others own experiences. Which boggles my mind because I’m not listening to it, or reading it. I lived it.
@pooriggy is a man full of wisdom...sort of the Master Splinter or Mr Miagi of the mtbnj world.

Top Bottom