IGVENTURE

Delish

Team MTBNJ Halter's
A carbon rigid SS is the only kind of hardtail I find myself wanting. Do the superfly's still crack if you look at 'em wrong or did they sort that out?

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
A carbon rigid SS is the only kind of hardtail I find myself wanting. Do the superfly's still crack if you look at 'em wrong or did they sort that out?

Also, are the sliders still held in place by toothpicks?

Mitch

Team MTBNJ Halter's
BUMP
Not having one but riding with 3 peeps that do I can say that they have fixed the issue and the bikes seem solid!!
On the 2nd note, I think they stopped making them so they are going to be tough to find now..:confused:

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Trek updated the Superfly in 2015 with a better slider system which is very reliable and stopped making a carbon superfly. The 2015, 2016 are Aluminum, however 2016 was the last year they made them. This was the end of an error, Gary Fisher designed the Superfly and I love the geometry of this bike. Long top tube with angles that stretch you out and into racing position. I believe the Pivot Les is very close to the geo of the Superfly.

Delish

Team MTBNJ Halter's
didn't realize your superfly was made of peasant metal. That hydroformed aluminum stuff is TRICKY. Has the 10 foot look of carbon. I'm even more intrigued now. @taylor185 loves his Pivot LES. He has a suspension fork on there doe. He keeps pushing me to try it but one of the reasons I'm interested in a rigid SS is to keep it cheap. going to keep my eye out for something on the used market.

You had a great season. Here it is September and you're already back training. That's a good sign that you were never really over-trained. I know you have started to embrace the ride short-n-hard™ mentality too. You should be the poster child for that. And yoga. I should do yoga.

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
You had a great season. Here it is September and you're already back training. That's a good sign that you were never really over-trained. I know you have started to embrace the ride short-n-hard™ mentality too. You should be the poster child for that. And yoga. I should do yoga.
Yeah, I'm not training like I do in the beginning of the season, I'm toning it down a notch so I can also enjoy this time of year and not be a slave to work outs. I am more or less just doing what I know I have to do to be somewhat competitive and at the same time break the monotony of jra.

And you are the poster child for 3-5 hrs of training/wk, your edge never gets dull.

The Pivot Les is a great bike, if I where in the market for a new SS, that would be it.

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
I just bought another EBB for the crabon frame... wish i could find a cheap slider frame. If i could find one of them treks I’d be all over it.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Also, are the sliders still held in place by toothpicks?

see you tomorrow at nassau - 10am. you all can check for cracks, and turn the toothpicks. funny, from an engineering standpoint,
those adjusters don't do anything but set the wheel straight in the frame with a little tension. same as a top cap.

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
see you tomorrow at nassau - 10am. you all can check for cracks, and turn the toothpicks. funny, from an engineering standpoint,
those adjusters don't do anything but set the wheel straight in the frame with a little tension. same as a top cap.

I had a TREK. Single speed. Same setup. Chain came loose after every ride.

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I got my first SS, Gary Fisher Rig, which is the same geo as the Superfly, in 2011. The slider system broke within a year, Gary Fisher sent me another frame. The slider system failed again in 2013, I believe GF was bought out by Trek by then. Trek sent me a new frame with the same crappy slider system. That frame lasted until 2015 until the slider failed again. Trek then sent me the frame I am on now, with the reliable slider. No issues with this bike.
So for those keeping score at home, this is my 4th frame in 7 years. Ironically once Trek figured out how to build a reliable slider system, they stopped producing the bike.

It's a shame they stopped making this bike. In our current easy coast market (where 75%of people that mtb ride Allaire and 6-mile) of suspension overkill bikes with carbon frames which cost $5,000 and up, this was an affordable alternative. Aluminum construction, can be run single or geared with a proven geometry designed by Gary Fisher, one of the founders of mtbing. I bought my SS for $1500 in 2011, I believe the price tag was around $1800 in 2016 when they stopped making them.

I'm not against full suspension carbon mtbs, I own a Santa Cruz Tallboy and love it...for riding rocks up north. For riding buff flat lands, my Superfly is the go to. I also race the Superfly, it's the poor man's racer. It weighs under 20lbs and climbs incredibly, it does take more effort in tech and downhill, but for me the benefits out weigh the negatives in racing.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that more is not always better, it's just more. If you have money to go all in, then awesome, that's what I would do. However, don't get caught up in the notion that you have to spend big money to enjoy trail riding.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
I got my first SS, Gary Fisher Rig, which is the same geo as the Superfly, in 2011. The slider system broke within a year, Gary Fisher sent me another frame. The slider system failed again in 2013, I believe GF was bought out by Trek by then. Trek sent me a new frame with the same crappy slider system. That frame lasted until 2015 until the slider failed again. Trek then sent me the frame I am on now, with the reliable slider. No issues with this bike.
So for those keeping score at home, this is my 4th frame in 7 years. Ironically once Trek figured out how to build a reliable slider system, they stopped producing the bike.

It's a shame they stopped making this bike. In our current easy coast market (where 75%of people that mtb ride Allaire and 6-mile) of suspension overkill bikes with carbon frames which cost $5,000 and up, this was an affordable alternative. Aluminum construction, can be run single or geared with a proven geometry designed by Gary Fisher, one of the founders of mtbing. I bought my SS for $1500 in 2011, I believe the price tag was around $1800 in 2016 when they stopped making them.

I'm not against full suspension carbon mtbs, I own a Santa Cruz Tallboy and love it...for riding rocks up north. For riding buff flat lands, my Superfly is the go to. I also race the Superfly, it's the poor man's racer. It weighs under 20lbs and climbs incredibly, it does take more effort in tech and downhill, but for me the benefits out weigh the negatives in racing.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that more is not always better, it's just more. If you have money to go all in, then awesome, that's what I would do. However, don't get caught up in the notion that you have to spend big money to enjoy trail riding.

Love my 2011 Paragon - which i believe is the AL geared version of the Rig. I'm waiting for a new electronic shift actuator (xshifter) to put it back into service. Needs a little update, wider bars, shorter stem, 1x. It was my first 29r, and felt right after trying out 25 or so bikes - having no experience on big wheels, and a huge gap in riding. 100mm travel. Fun!

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Sunday was the Bearscat 50, this was my first race since Kittatiny in mid July. I began a build block of training last week and yesterday could be considered part of that build.

We had a 2mile road prologue to spread us out before heading into the single track to pump house. As part of the 25 mile racers, I was racing as a team with teammate Brian Ackerman. There where about 35 of us in this category which started a half hour after the open 50 milers. I'm not sure we needed a prologue with so few of us, I hate that road prologue, but whatever, we raced stupid roads at stupid speed before single track.

When racing, you know within 5 minutes of the start what kind of day you are going to have. When your legs instinctively spin and your heart rate pumps like a locomotive you will have a good race, when your legs need to be reminded to pedal and your heart rate pumps like chitty chitty bang bang, you are not going to have a good race.

Today I felt chitty, so I went with it. Wawayanda is an awesome place to mtb, the race course covers some great trails, so I sat back and enjoyed the ride, cleaning the tech and not hurt myself. The Plymouth trail did have some wet boards that where like soap on ice, it kinda felt like this.
giphy (9).gif

Going through Plymouth my bars clipped a tree while on the boards and I ended up landing on my feet and catching my bike in my right hand, I wish there was a camera rolling, it would have been cool to watch.

Despite coming in almost a half hour after Brian, we still managed to get 3rd. Brian had a really fast time, if he went faster maybe we could have beaten Dave Taylor;)
20180924_072012.jpg

Not to take anything away from Dave, Jaime and Brian, they had an awesome race, me...not so much.
I may not have been fast but I did look good.
20180924_074902.jpg

I also did other stuffs this wknd.
This only counts as one me and Ev selfie, I drag him around with me on adventures. We kayaked the Metedeconk on Friday and rode Lewmo Saturday. Do you like my new helmet?
IMG_20180924_073958.jpg

BrianGT3

Some observations

@pooriggy won and podiumed multiple races this past season aboard his full rigid single speed racing against geared bikes with suspension. Also took H2h overall championship in 45+ Cat 1

He rode the tallboy yesterday, 2nd place finishers were both aboard single speeds.

@pooriggy won and podiumed multiple races this past season wearing Team MTBNJ lycra kit

He was full endurobro yesterday rocking baggies, baggies put which put Iggy in social mode I think :p

The race winners times are switched, the 2:33:26.3 was actually done by David. This means @David Taylor beat Igg by 19 minutes.

Lastly, I was able to finish race and in that 26 minute wait I was able to:
-Do a 15 minute cooldown around parking lot
-Leisurely change into normal clothes.
-After changing, neatly fold and put away my cycling gear
-Throw away the bag of napkins and bagel crumbs
-Make a recovery drink
-Call my GF for race update
-Chit chat with Dave, Don & Jamie

In conclusion Iggy belongs on full rigid singlespeed

Top Bottom