Ideas/products to protect your downtube from rocks

Karate Monkey

glad you posted that one, and after seeing the mud collection, no go, will see if I can find some old wide slicks though
added weight and cleanup would be a bitch
was going to ask on another thread but how you guys keeping your wheel clean? Mine all have this dirty dirt colored patina

The only people with clean wheels all around are the ones who have a paid mechanic on staff (ie, pro level), or spend waaaaaay too much time cleaning up. My wheels get cleaned off maybe every couple of months (probably 3-4?). I mean actually cleaned, by the way. If they're filthy, they just get a wipe down with a soapy brush. Cleaning for showroom level is a different beast...and I really only do it for rim brake bikes, anyway.

Actually clean (takes roughly 5-10 minutes per wheel):
-Cassette off, cleaned separately. Rotors off (centerlock really saves time here...).
-Bucket of soapy water, brush, brush, brush. Don't douse the bearings.
-Dry rag, wipe everything down, starting at the hub, then the spokes, then the rim/tire. Use gun swabs/q-tips/pipe cleaners to clean the first spoke cross/tops of the hub flanges
-Anything that survives deserves to be there (only kind of kidding...). dried sealant snot can be cleaned off the outside with acetone. Wet a rag, run it around the rim, let it flash off, then follow back up with a wetted rag.

Quick clean (few minutes):
-Leave the cassette/rotors on.
-Spray with soapy water (I use the ZEP sprayers you can get in hardware stores--1-2 TBSP soap, fill with water).
-Wipe down anything you can get to with just the rag, which is quite a bit, if you don't have sausage fingers.
-F*** the tire.

Avoid the bearings...I know several people who have cleaned their bearings into destruction (after dousing the bike with water, and not drying/greasing the bearings, ever).

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I didn't worry about it until I bought a fancy carbon bike with one of those from-the-factory rubber protectors. Wildcat ate through the rubber and ripped out some of the frame. :)

qclabrat

I didn't worry about it until I bought a fancy carbon bike with one of those from-the-factory rubber protectors. Wildcat ate through the rubber and ripped out some of the frame. :)
you got a pic? I've seen some kevlar-resin DIY projects which seem interesting

Top Bottom