Ideas/products to protect your downtube from rocks

qclabrat

I'm getting some nicks from rocks kicking up and hitting my downtube
what aftermarket product or DIY options do I have?

Don't care so much about scratches, just want to avoid real damage

rottin'

Staff member
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Walt, on one bike I have nice clear 3-4mm adhesive designed for the frame protection. On the other I have 2 layers of black gorilla tape...I think that one works better lol

gmb3

JORBA: Sourlands
JORBA.ORG
I've used adhesive back Velcro strips that are readily available at Home Depot but might try the purpose-built frame guards on the next application

rick81721

Lothar
are they clear? If not can you post some pics?

I posted this previously. This is clear with ape toon
17932313_1264123183684373_7252685142727065600_n.jpg

jumpa

Trek has this downtube protection thing you can buy. The original one had a tear near the BB so I replaced it with a new one and cut the old one by the tear and placed it above the new one to run farther up the downtube. I get alot of rock kick up with the minions so I preferred the protection higher up as well.

20170525_082846.jpg

20170525_082855.jpg

MadisonDan

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Trek has this downtube protection thing you can buy. The original one had a tear near the BB so I replaced it with a new one and cut the old one by the tear and placed it above the new one to run farther up the downtube. I get alot of rock kick up with the minions so I preferred the protection higher up as well.

View attachment 52507

View attachment 52508
Giant haz similar..

what about this?

51ouR2Am-JL._SL1000_.jpg

rick81721

Lothar

View attachment 52507

View attachment 52508

My salsa came with something similar standard. Covers maybe 8" so all mountain chevrons added further up for more protection.

qclabrat

View attachment 52507

View attachment 52508

I thought I saw that somewhere, at CR a few Fridays ago
yes, that's it more of a thicker polyethylene rubberish material, the Intense bike have a really good looking one on there stock bikes as well

qclabrat

glad you posted that one, and after seeing the mud collection, no go, will see if I can find some old wide slicks though
added weight and cleanup would be a bitch
was going to ask on another thread but how you guys keeping your wheel clean? Mine all have this dirty dirt colored patina

pkovo

I've seen some slick ones made by cutting a piece of PVC pipe the right diameter. Attached with zip ties or velcro.

456631_10150965382940827_2129425814_o.jpg

Top Bottom