ideal rim width for 2.6 tires

qclabrat

looking to get bigger on 27.5 wheels
What's the ideal width for 2.6 tires?
I've seen 25 to 30mm, who's making 30mm nowadays?

Juggernaut

Master of the Metaphor
I'm running a 2.6 Nobby Nic on a 42 external 36 internal rim on the front of my ridged SS. The width feels spot on to me.

qclabrat

I'm running a 2.6 Nobby Nic on a 42 external 36 internal rim on the front of my ridged SS. The width feels spot on to me.
I have 2.35 front 2.25 rear NN and grown to hate them
they don't bite around the turns and seem finicky when you lean the bike at all
switched to Fat Alberts and ride was night and day, they are a little bigger but the nob are in the right places IMO

what are your thoughts on the 2.6 NNs?

alex_k

switched to Fat Alberts and ride was night and day, they are a little bigger but the nob are in the right places IMO

for this particular reason I would not recommend anything wider than 29mm Flow MK3. 2.6 NN has reasonable round profile on MK3

Monkey Soup

Angry Wanker

Not a big fan of the NN's either. I'm running a Maxxis 2.5 WT on the front, looks the same as their new 2.6's. Get the Flows like Alex says, and run a real tire like the Minion DHF. If you want bite around turns, you'll have it in spades.

Juggernaut

Master of the Metaphor

So it's only on the front, I'm running a Racing Ralph 2.35 in back (which measures out at 2.4) and it's on a 29er not 27.5.

I have both sizes NN on bikes so side by side photos (not to scale) 2.6 vs. 2.35 are in order. Left 2.6 Right 2.4
3179BCFC-2812-4D84-94BC-F9A0C04E01E6.jpg

The 2.6's knobs are both taller and thicker but as you can see way closer together. They're much less squirrelly than the 2.25 or 2.35's. But I do wish the outside knobs were a tad farther apart.

This photo was taken at approximately the same distance as each other so it's a better apples to apples comparison. Same orientation 2.6 left. 2.4 right. You can see, aside from the volume, the knobs are way taller.
1DD2F4E5-DB32-4348-9A60-A1D704C143C1.jpg

So the money question.... how wide? 2.62 @13 PSI on 36 internal rims. Full disclosure, I run them at 17-20 normally depending on location and conditions.
IMG_0336.JPG

I don't ride in wet conditions so the lack of mud clearance on the 2.6 doesn't bother me but with all the sipe'ing, I expect it'll grip wet roots like a fatbike.

qclabrat

good stuff @Juggernaut

anyone know the quality of Ibis wheelsets? looking at the 741/742 series, they can be had for under 1K, considerably less than other carbon wheels out there
or even the low priced metal version 738

wheel-742-Ibis-CU-Asym-1020.jpg

G00027RR.jpg

Juggernaut

Master of the Metaphor
good stuff @Juggernaut

anyone know the quality of Ibis wheelsets? looking at the 741/742 series, they can be had for under 1K, considerably less than other carbon wheels out there

G00027RR.jpg

I could be mistaken, but I could swear @jShort had a set of Ibis carbons on his "play" bike at the Nassau ride a couple years ago.

Monkey Soup

Angry Wanker
good stuff @Juggernaut

G00027RR.jpg

You don't need rims this wide for 2.5-2.6" tires. You get what you pay for with carbon, get yourself some Flows or ARC 30's and save yourself the headache of dealing with cheap carbon that will break.

qclabrat

thoughts on the Raceface Turbine 30 wheels? It's doesn't have the new Vault hubs but the rims are 30mm ID

Monkey Soup

Angry Wanker
I believe the ARC30's and Turbine 30's are identical. I would buy the rims separate, and build them up with some decent hubs. The ARC/Turbine 30's are ok. I've dented them, but they've held air. I also tend to ride a bit on the reckless side, so I'll dent any rim. I just broke a burly all-mountain/enduro carbon frame.

Top Bottom