I woke up thinking "We need another tire thread"

rlb

But let's talk tubeless. Shwable One Tubeless seems to get some love, but the reviews on Amazon lead me to believe they're on the delicate side. Is this true? Are there any other tubeless tires I should be considering? These will be paired with Pacenti 23mm wheels FWIW.

I read this article from another tire post that shall not be named, and specialized seems like they have a nice tubless tire but my preferred shop doesn't carry them.

http://velonews.competitor.com/where-the-rubber-meets-the-road-what-makes-cycling-tires-fast

Mountain Bike Mike

I ran Huchinson Fusion 3's 25c
http://www.hutchinsontires.com/en/road/23-fusion-3-road-tubeless.html

I ran them on Shimano C24 and I put roughly 2k on them from March until two weeks ago. The last month or so, the front tire wouldn't hold air for a long time and each time I pumped it up, the duration it would hold would be shorter. I put it in the sink to see where the leaks were and I counted 10+ spots where it was leaking all around the wheel. I added more juice and that improved it slightly. I ripped both tires off and threw on Conti clinchers 28c for the winter.

Another thing I had an issue with - The sealant had a weird reaction to the wheel and I needed to spend a few hours scraping it off.

If I had to rate them according to the usual criteria:

Efficiency - Not a damn clue
Lightweight - OK
Puncture resistance - Never got a flat from puncture
Wear longevity - There was plenty left at 2k
Comfort - Very supple. So nice to ride on especially on hot days with pressure @ 100psi

Would I buy them again? NOPE. I'm sticking with Conti's with tubes going forward. 4 seasons for the winter and TBD for the warm weather but most likely their race tire.

The Kalmyk

Efficiency- can run lower pressure. Yes you read that correctly. The sell is the tires stay ground as opposed to high pressure tires that bounce around.

alex_k

Efficiency- can run lower pressure. Yes you read that correctly. The sell is the tires stay ground as opposed to high pressure tires that bounce around.
That is not exactly true (see the article above). There is optimal pressure and it depends how rough the road surface is.

alex_k

I'm sold on the virtues of tubeless, I just need to find the right tire.

Unfortunately I can't squeeze 28s on my frame (Cannondale Super Six)

SuperSix or Evo? I have no problems with Clement LGG 28C on my Evo.

Delish

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I have heard good things about the IRC Formula Pro RBCC 25s. long name. they are made in Japan if that gives you any added confidence. Fusion 3's 25c are nothing special. I had a bead break on one trying to mount it on Alpha 340 rims without lube...user error.

rlb

After wasting time the other day fixing a flat I'm revisiting this. What's the latest on road tubeless?

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
I have the Pro 1s. I had a flat the second day but it sealed itself. I decided to use the Slime pro sealant and it’s probably fine for mtb but not high pressure. So I patched the tire(debris from the shoulder sliced it)and switched the Orange sealant which everyon recommended. I have about 500 miles on them with no more flats. When I ren tubes I flatted every 2-3 rides. About 20 of those miles are gravel. Truthfully from reading the G1 is much more durable but I went with fast. These are set up on Enve SES 3.4s.

Reactions: rlb

Blair

I’ve had road tubeless for 18 months now on the same tires with zero flats, finally about 2 weeks ago I got a legit puncture hole that keeps resealing and losing air. I pump it up and it hangs but I’m going to replace the tire tomorrow. all in all I’ve had a great experience. I generally ride 4 to 5 hours per week, maybe less in frigid temperatures. I have the giant slr tires.

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
I made the switch before the PA600k and am now a convert. 3 600ks and The Longest Day along with my normal commuting puts us at about 2,000 miles in 2 months on 26c Specialized Turbo S-Works. I'm running tubeless carbon wheels as well with no issues. I don't run them low though because my frame is comfy and there's no need.

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
I made the switch before the PA600k and am now a convert. 3 600ks and The Longest Day along with my normal commuting puts us at about 2,000 miles in 2 months on 26c Specialized Turbo S-Works. I'm running tubeless carbon wheels as well with no issues. I don't run them low though because my frame is comfy and there's no need.
What sealant?

taylor185

Team MTBNJ Halter's
What's the latest on road tubeless?
I've run road tubeless for well over two years. Love them with absolutely no issues. I'm currently running Schwalbe Pro One (25c) on a set of Shimano Dura Ace C24 wheels. They have that "roll fast" feel and have been impressed with their durability. I have also had very good luck with Specialized tubeless tires, using the Roubaix tire for winter and early spring riding. Also use Stan's. I add some additional fluid every few months in a very unscientific method.

Reactions: rlb

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
How many miles you get out of those?

rlb

You can in front........

I'll have to double check, but I thought the 25s were a tight squeeze. Currently running Conti GP 4000s ii on Pacenti SL23 rims.

Did you try the Schwable Pro Ones? Wondering which is more durable. I survive with the Contis but they don't look pretty when I'm done. FWIW they're always replaced because I hit shit, don't think I ever wore one out completely.

Top Bottom