I want a new bike

J-Dro

Another bike that comes to mind is the Evil Following. 29er with a 66 degree headtube, 120 in the rear and 130 in the front. I demoed one out in Sedona, rode the Hangover trail on it and loved it.

I sold all my other trail bikes after getting a Following. They just weren't getting used. For a 120 rear 130 front bike, it punches way above it's class for stiffness and stability in the gnar. On the flowy trails, it's super poppy and playful when you work the suspension. Definitely keep this on your short list.

blackburn1973

I sold all my other trail bikes after getting a Following. They just weren't getting used. For a 120 rear 130 front bike, it punches way above it's class for stiffness and stability in the gnar. On the flowy trails, it's super poppy and playful when you work the suspension. Definitely keep this on your short list.

Do you ride this at Sourlands or just for 6MR and the like? If so, how does it do @ SL?

J-Dro

Do you ride this at Sourlands or just for 6MR and the like? If so, how does it do @ SL?

It's my only trail bike at the moment, so yes it's my SL bike too. It handles everything that my 160mm Tracer did. The Following is not your typical 120mm XC race bike. It's slack and overbuilt so I don't find myself wishing for more travel. Will not win any XC races but a respectable climber especially during out of the saddle efforts.

Ian F

I have a 2017 Intense Primer and love it. It was their "Expert" XT build with a few team parts changes (Manitou Machete fork, Industry 9 Enduro wheels; Thomson dropper, Answer bars), but the basic bike isn't a whole lot different. It is the 29er I always wanted a 29er to be: quick handling, poppy, playful, yet can bomb through just about anything if I want to. Climbs very well. My one quibble is I wish for a bit more rear clearance for a heavier DH casing tire (center knobs hit the lower link) for when I want to do medium-tech enduro events like Glen Park.

Last edited:

qclabrat

I have a 2017 Intense Primer and love it. It was their "Expert" XT build with a few team parts changes (Manitou Machete fork, Industry 9 Enduro wheels; Thomson dropper, Answer bars), but the basic bike isn't a whole lot different. It is the 29er I always wanted a 29er to be: quick handling, poppy, playful, yet can bomb through just about anything if I want to. Climbs very well. My one quibble is I wish for a bit more rear clearance for a heavier DH casing tire (center knobs hit the lower link) for when I want to do medium-tech enduro events like Glen Park.
what did you ride before? Did you get a chance to test ride it before the purchase? The 2017 frames are on sale, but only in small. I need a medium

Ian F

No - I ordered the Primer sight unseen back in early 2017.

I started out on a Niner Jet 9 in 2009, but never really got on with that bike. Next was a 2014 Intense Carbine 275 which I still have, but haven't it ridden very much since getting the Primer. I also have a 2016 Intense M16C for full-on DH riding. We (Team XXL) have changed bike partners from Intense to Santa Cruz and I'm looking at a 2018 Nomad to replace the Carbine and possibly the M16C. Also have a Vassago Ver Hauen steel hardtail set up with 27.5+, but pending replacement with a new Chameleon.

Previous to these more "modern" bikes, I rode a 1998 Yeti Lawwill DH-6 and a 1997 Independent Fabrications Deluxe. Both I still have, but probably not for long as I'm finally looking to simplify and unload all of my collection of "vintage" mtn bike bikes and parts.

If you want to try it, we might be able to work out something for this weekend. Mine is a Medium.

qclabrat

No - I ordered the Primer sight unseen back in early 2017.

I started out on a Niner Jet 9 in 2009, but never really got on with that bike. Next was a 2014 Intense Carbine 275 which I still have, but haven't it ridden very much since getting the Primer. I also have a 2016 Intense M16C for full-on DH riding. We (Team XXL) have changed bike partners from Intense to Santa Cruz and I'm looking at a 2018 Nomad to replace the Carbine and possibly the M16C. Also have a Vassago Ver Hauen steel hardtail set up with 27.5+, but pending replacement with a new Chameleon.

Previous to these more "modern" bikes, I rode a 1998 Yeti Lawwill DH-6 and a 1997 Independent Fabrications Deluxe. Both I still have, but probably not for long as I'm finally looking to simplify and unload all of my collection of "vintage" mtn bike bikes and parts.

If you want to try it, we might be able to work out something for this weekend. Mine is a Medium.
thanks perfect Ian also a medium, and I always thought you were a team of guys riding XXL sized bikes
I'll PM you when I can get down south, unless you'll be MCBP on Friday...

Ian F

No, if I go anywhere on Friday it would be to Blue Mtn (PA), but it'll depend on if the mechanic gets my van fixed by then so I have something that can transport bikes.

blackburn1973

It's my only trail bike at the moment, so yes it's my SL bike too. It handles everything that my 160mm Tracer did. The Following is not your typical 120mm XC race bike. It's slack and overbuilt so I don't find myself wishing for more travel. Will not win any XC races but a respectable climber especially during out of the saddle efforts.

Thanks. This is interesting. I'm thinking seriously of getting rid of the quiver and just having one MTB and one road/gravel type of thing (like a GT Grade or similar). Rub was having something that's reasonable at both Sourlands and 6MR.

qclabrat

Thanks. This is interesting. I'm thinking seriously of getting rid of the quiver and just having one MTB and one road/gravel type of thing (like a GT Grade or similar). Rub was having something that's reasonable at both Sourlands and 6MR.
I would be giggles if I could get down to 5-6 bikes.
Putting up 4 in the next few weeks, to simplify and feed the habit. But every time I get under 10, the itch comes back.
If I moved and could only keep one mtb, I'd probably go with hardtail.

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
If I had to have only one MTB bike other than my race bike, I like my habit. It can hang in the tech and it's light enough to get up the hills.
I'd like to try an Evil Following. Short travel (120mm) trail geometry 29er... Sounds like another great all around bike..

Top Bottom