I want a new bike

qclabrat

So is THIS going to Creek?!?!? .... ;)
maybe, need to make there once this year....
Gone next week till mid August, and ribs should be good to go by then.
I tweaked my side again weighing the bike last night as it's no lightweight
- frame, shock, fork was 13 pounds
- add wheels and tires and it was 23 pounds (tubed)
- didn't weigh the complete bike but guessing around 30ish

alex_k

maybe, need to make there once this year....
Gone next week till mid August, and ribs should be good to go by then.
I tweaked my side again weighing the bike last night as it's no lightweight
- frame, shock, fork was 13 pounds
- add wheels and tires and it was 23 pounds (tubed)
- didn't weigh the complete bike but guessing around 30ish
I'll double check but my is 28 pounds tubeless, w/o any fancy components

BPaze

I'm curious you mentioned you went non-boost on the wheels are you able to swap rear dropouts and convert in the future? Nice looking bike and fairly progressive geometry although not over the top look forward to you bringing this on Saturday!!

qclabrat

I'm curious you mentioned you went non-boost on the wheels are you able to swap rear dropouts and convert in the future? Nice looking bike and fairly progressive geometry although not over the top look forward to you bringing this on Saturday!!
that's one of the big selling points of the Banshee and large companies won't do it cause they sell less bikes
The Banshee's also have chip on the dropouts to change the slack

1532028865579.png

here are the wheel/tire size options, have the drops for the 142 long and 148 compact. They are only about $100 set so won't break the bank
There's so may options I can mess around for months to figure out my favorite combo. Starting with the 27.5+ on Steep setting and switch over to bigger wheels. After that flip the chip and retry the wheels part deux.

1532029039168.png

They were one of the first to put out long top tubes and slamming the stems to allow for wider bars. Seems so simple now, but they did a good job predicting the customer trends. Hoping to get out on Saturday.

BPaze

I am kinda committing to boost but you definitely have me interested. I love the idea of being able to swap between various sizes and the idea of adjusting BB height and other geo.

qclabrat

Its not on strava... so it didn't happen
that's right, it didn't deserve a Strava today
But I'm pretty sure I got some PBs on the climbs and the downhills just wanted me to go faster.
In the driveway it felt a bit awkward and thought I might have set it up too steep but in the trails it was just fine. The Topaz is so good, I can't wait to dial it in to smooth out the downhills. But the climbing was the real champ. Zero bob and the rear wheel stuck to the ground like velcro the whole time. Wow, so that's what small bump compliance is all about.

I could definitely feel the 3 weeks off the bike and no exercise as I was winded just after a lap around red. Could also feel the bad ribs whenever I tried to muscle the bike up and over things. But the bike doesn't ride as heavy as it weighs at all, looking forward to seeing what it can do when I heal up and can get a little more reckless again.

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
I am kinda committing to boost but you definitely have me interested. I love the idea of being able to swap between various sizes and the idea of adjusting BB height and other geo.
You know there is boost plus right?

BPaze

Yes well aware of Pivot not sure who else is using super boost which is why this is interesting. Really nice to have an ability to future proof a little.

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
Yes well aware of Pivot not sure who else is using super boost which is why this is interesting. Really nice to have an ability to future proof a little.
I forget... Hope or DT or some other hub company said they were full on board with boost plus.

qclabrat

same for me with 142, I'm kinda invested in that size so there's no reason for me to do boost or super boost at the moment. I love the fact that I can continue to play with tire sizes with this frame. But once I have it figured out, it probably will only be switching between two sets. I currently have Hans Dampfs in the front and NobbyNics in the rear. The 2.35 HD still seems a little small and the NN rear is tiny. I think 2.4-2.5 has become my standard and will swap out after I get few rides in the new Hadley wheels I laced up with Bonty XR4s. What's puzzling me is the 27.5+ size, I haven't loved the 2.8 or 3.0 size so not sure if I want to buy another just to try. Plus tires are so damn expensive.

alex_k

that's right, it didn't deserve a Strava today
But I'm pretty sure I got some PBs on the climbs and the downhills just wanted me to go faster.
In the driveway it felt a bit awkward and thought I might have set it up too steep but in the trails it was just fine. The Topaz is so good, I can't wait to dial it in to smooth out the downhills. But the climbing was the real champ. Zero bob and the rear wheel stuck to the ground like velcro the whole time. Wow, so that's what small bump compliance is all about.

I could definitely feel the 3 weeks off the bike and no exercise as I was winded just after a lap around red. Could also feel the bad ribs whenever I tried to muscle the bike up and over things. But the bike doesn't ride as heavy as it weighs at all, looking forward to seeing what it can do when I heal up and can get a little more reckless again.
Prime small bump compliance is equally good in all wide range of sag levels from 20% to 30% and that is really magical to me because all my previous bikes gave me really bumpy ride if I set a shock for 20% sag. I credit that to the suspension lower link which easily moves back in the initial part of its travel.

qclabrat

I haven't ridden it anywhere I felt it was under gunned, but you can run it with a 120mm fork...it's made for 100 or 120. I had a Turner sultan a long time ago with 120 front and rear and felt like that bike could do anything.
Back to this
Jeremy, @Kirt, @rick81721
Since Turners are hard to find to demo, did you also happen to test a Tallboy or Blur and able to provide differences between the Czar?
The one similar characteristic I've noticed of all SCs I've ridden are that they have a very playful front end, but not twitchy. Tried the Blur, HT and Nomad and all have that ride feel.

Ryan.P

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I may have a tallboy 3 CC med frame , fork , fox dropper , carbon renthal bar for sale soon . Just need to make sure new whip is good first

Top Bottom