I want a new bike

If you have a problem finding a JET9 demo, let me know. My neighbor is the Niner rep. They had the demo truck in our area last week, but maybe he's got something you could try or knows what shop has a demo.

Was reading your choices and wanted to chime in since I have some relevant experience with some of bikes related to the models on your list. I own an Intense Spider 29c, which is basically the old version of the Primer. Bike is great. Climbs awesome and maintains speed in the rough like no other. I initially didn't get along with it as the shock that I originally was using on it didn't work well (CC DBinline). I switched to an old RP23 (freshly serviced) and the thing is a beast now. Additionally, I went on a guided tour in Moab a few weeks ago and got pretty intimate with the Spot Rollik. While that living link is odd looking, I have to say, it worked really well. I did find the limit of it, due to my inability to negotiate those slick rocks elegantly. It would sometimes feel like it was extending to it's limit, making a sort of vibrating metal sound/feeling. That being said, it was definitely a great climbing, long travel bike. Just wanted to give you some insight, for what it's worth. Good luck!

nope, will ride it a bit this weekend....
HT didn't make the first grouping of 120-130. Too many bikes to assess at 135 or 115. If none workout will likely open to 135, which there are many. The Intense Primer is unique that it can be swapped to 115 travel. Switch to a 120 fork and you have reasonable XC bike. Really want to like this bike, though the bare frames at Intense are currently on backorder. Wyckoff bikes has one, but full build. Almost bought, but my current parts are considerably better, a I really don't want to sell off more parts just for a frame.
Was going to take the Talon to 6MR... but no problem to bring the HT instead.
BTW, do you have a 26er disc wheelset you want to unload? If you do... let me know price :)

Time has come to start looking for new bike. Last year was about figuring out the myriad of tire sizes and to find a new HT, I'd be happy with for the next few years. Since those two projects have been completed, looking to find a new trail bike later this year. I'm currently on a Transition Bandit29, which though nice, never really meshed with me. First of all, the bike is tad heavy even with carbon wheels and XX1 parts, so think it may be time to graduate to a carbon frame. Also the geometry makes the front wheels well planted, but to me a little too much to my liking and I really don't mind when the front wanders a little. Most importantly, the suspension is just okay. Classic single pivot does the job, but not very elegant. My previous FS was a GT Zaskar and it was so much more plush despite only having 100mm of travel. As mentioned earlier, I played with a bunch of tires and know the following about myself. I really like big tires on the HT, 29rs only, and more specifically 29+. Riding a full rigid 29+ in the right parks made me feel like a kid again. For the new FS, I'm again looking for 29s, but 2.4ish tires. The new 2.6 tires were okay but they felt a bit draggy. I'd like the option to swap in a 27.5+ set from time to time to run 2.8s, but 80% of the time will likely on the 30mm wide 29 loops. I'm planning to swap out many of the parts over, so the plan is frame only.

To narrow the field, I'm sticking with bikes within the 120 and 130 travel range. May expand to 115 to 135, but lets see how the first group of rides go. Planning to test the Intense Primer and Salsa Horsethief in the coming weeks. From some interweb research, both bikes are supposed to be good climbers. Climbing efficiency is the top suspension related requirement for me, after than would be some bump compliance. Next will be the Ibis Ripley and Pivot Trail 429. Others for consideration are the Transition Smuggler, Niner Jet 9, Evil Following, Spot Mayhem. Please toss others in the ring as I'm open to try anything as I'm sure I missed some. Looking for feedback on any of the above or ones that fit the bill. And if you have something I can demo for a few miles, I'll toss you some tasty beers or something good your way.

Additional bikes recommended:
- Trek Fuel EX

Based on your criteria, stop and go straight to the Ibis and Pivot. And as an added bonus you'll get small bump sensitivity. Small bump sensitivity should be one of your top criteria as this is where your traction comes from on technical climbs, one of many reasons why DW-Link is so awesome.

have not considered a Trek, but see it's 130 travel, so will put it in.
What have you ridden to compare it to?

i went to jorbafest (or whatever they call it now) and rode the 130mm bikes from every demo tent there (idr all of them, but specialized, i think pivot, giant, and a whole bunch more, i got there early and did their demo loop like a dozen times to try out all the bikes) if you fit a medium you can take it for a spin around sometime. the RE:aktiv (as trek calls it) shock was the one that climbed the best IMO, it was the only bike i was comfortable standing and pedaling on.

I love my Transition Smuggler. It’s a 2016 (before they made a carbon version) with 115 mm in the rear and 130 mm up front. Fairly slack and long bike too with a 67 degree headtube angle. The new smuggler comes in a carbon version that weighs in around 28 pounds for the XO1 model. It climbs like a beast. They did boost the suspension on it to 125 rear 140 front, and made it a little bit slacker with a 66 degree headtube angle though. That being said, my older smuggler can handle pretty much any type of trail other than downhill specific trails like Mountain Creek. It slays on technical trails around NJ and Massachusetts.

Another bike that comes to mind is the Evil Following. 29er with a 66 degree headtube, 120 in the rear and 130 in the front. I demoed one out in Sedona, rode the Hangover trail on it and loved it.

The wheelset die in the fire?
Findon Skid Kids YouTube still.jpg

Was reading your choices and wanted to chime in since I have some relevant experience with some of bikes related to the models on your list. I own an Intense Spider 29c, which is basically the old version of the Primer. Bike is great. Climbs awesome and maintains speed in the rough like no other. I initially didn't get along with it as the shock that I originally was using on it didn't work well (CC DBinline). I switched to an old RP23 (freshly serviced) and the thing is a beast now. Additionally, I went on a guided tour in Moab a few weeks ago and got pretty intimate with the Spot Rollik. While that living link is odd looking, I have to say, it worked really well. I did find the limit of it, due to my inability to negotiate those slick rocks elegantly. It would sometimes feel like it was extending to it's limit, making a sort of vibrating metal sound/feeling. That being said, it was definitely a great climbing, long travel bike. Just wanted to give you some insight, for what it's worth. Good luck!
What year is your spider? Funny because this search started with that bike. Saw someone selling one on PB and did some research for curiosity sake. I'd consider the frame but some of their graphics were a bit over the top.

What about a Devinci Django

Had them on the list and read a number of unfavorable reviews on their warranty. Anyone heard the same? Someone mentioned it here about foreign mtb companies sometimes are a pita when dealing with warranties

That's funny. Heard the exact opposite on that suspension from an employee at Golden Cycles out in CO last time I rode out there. Said it was the best climbing full suspension he'd ever experienced and that several customers had said the same. Caveat, this was actually said about the Rollick vs the Mayhem but it's the same suspension. FWIW, I didn't give it a spin, only looked at it in the shop so no personal experience.
To clarify the statement the tester said the rear felt fully locked out with no flex so you don't get that positive feedback which plants the rear tire in hard climbs. Guess that means an unlively rear?

Seems like all the cool guys ride Pivots. Just steal Glenn's

If you have a problem finding a JET9 demo, let me know. My neighbor is the Niner rep. They had the demo truck in our area last week, but maybe he's got something you could try or knows what shop has a demo.

it must be that guy following me on instagram

Had them on the list and read a number of unfavorable reviews on their warranty. Anyone heard the same? Someone mentioned it here about foreign mtb companies sometimes are a pita when dealing with warranties

I haven't read that, actually the opposite, plue there are local Devinci shops that will help with the warranty. And their lifetime warranty seems pretty nice. Their customer service has been extremely help and fast to answer any questions I had. I test rode a Marshall and have a Django 27.5 on the way. I really liked the suspension. It felt very neutral on climbs, with great traction but without the feeling on the rear wheel getting pulled down into the ground and the suspension toping out feeling that the 429 trail did. It wasn't super supple on flats because the Marshall is 110mm that ramps up fast, but it did handle bigger hits very well. I also demo'ed a 429 and did not care for it at all. It was a little small, even though it was the size pivot recommends. Had a hard time getting to get it to go where I wanted, was always fighting with it until I pushed it very hard. I hated how it felt on steep climbs. Every pedal stroke, the bike felt like it was growing, much to high AS in low gears. My DW-Link Turner does this slightly, but not nearly as bad as the 429. It was annoying and distracting. The Devinci felt much better.

Another bike to look at would be a Rocky Mountain Element. I would have gotten the Element or Thunderbolt if they were any left in my size.

I haven't read that, actually the opposite, plue there are local Devinci shops that will help with the warranty. And their lifetime warranty seems pretty nice. Their customer service has been extremely help and fast to answer any questions I had. I test rode a Marshall and have a Django 27.5 on the way. I really liked the suspension. It felt very neutral on climbs, with great traction but without the feeling on the rear wheel getting pulled down into the ground and the suspension toping out feeling that the 429 trail did. It wasn't super supple on flats because the Marshall is 110mm that ramps up fast, but it did handle bigger hits very well. I also demo'ed a 429 and did not care for it at all. It was a little small, even though it was the size pivot recommends. Had a hard time getting to get it to go where I wanted, was always fighting with it until I pushed it very hard. I hated how it felt on steep climbs. Every pedal stroke, the bike felt like it was growing, much to high AS in low gears. My DW-Link Turner does this slightly, but not nearly as bad as the 429. It was annoying and distracting. The Devinci felt much better.

Another bike to look at would be a Rocky Mountain Element. I would have gotten the Element or Thunderbolt if they were any left in my size.
Awesome feedback, thanks
Do they us a split pivot design?

Awesome feedback, thanks
Do they us a split pivot design?

They do. I also tried a Fuel Ex and Salsa and like them too. But definitely test ride different bikes. While it didn't like the 429T there are lots of people that do, so its not that its good or bad, just a matter of finding the suspension design that works best for you.

What year is your spider? Funny because this search started with that bike. Saw someone selling one on PB and did some research for curiosity sake. I'd consider the frame but some of their graphics were a bit over the top.

It’s a 2016. I think it’s the last year they made it. I know what you mean about the graphics. I opted for black on black. I think I remember when the Primer came out I was looking at the geo and it’s a little slacker than the Spider. It’s probably much more fun on the descents though the Spider is no slouch.

The Ripely is a pretty good bike for around here. They make it in 2 geometries, Old and New School. Friend of mine got one in Old School. The bike rode surprisingly well, much better than I expected for an xc bike. If I were to get one though, I would definitely get it in New School, as I’m taller than my friend.

All suspension designs are a compromise, but I think that DW LINK gives up the least. One of the few that don’t require you to use pedal assist, working best fully open and lightly damped. They are finicky with setup though, so beware on a demo. Not a design where you want to run less than the recommended sag, thinking your going to get better climbing efficiency. They actually ride like shit with too much preload. You want to run recommended sag, sometimes even a little more. FWIW, mine is 160/160 and climbs better than any xc race bike I used to own. In Ringwood, Wayway, Jungle, High Mountain the bike eats up the tech. And I never change my preload to match terrain. If I go to a bike park, I may increase rebound a few clicks to match speed but that’s it. Only place I change preload is my fork.

Back
Top Bottom