I need to buy a new bike computer...

rick81721

Lothar
Hi, Pat,

I'm curious to know whether Wahoo has improved a few features that were a frustration for me in the past. Do you know if:

1) ...there's now a way for the user to "manually" update the maps? I believe that Wahoo announced a map update a few months ago, but I've wondered whether it added any user functionality or was just a one-time update to the original, "static" map provided by Wahoo at purchase (which is a pretty good version of Open Street Maps, but wouldn't reflect any additions/changes made after its creation by Wahoo).
2) ...you can now see trails at scales higher than the "2000'" view? In the past, IIRC, you couldn't see trails on the map if zoomed out more than 2000'. If this were possible, it would help with my third concern below:
3) ...you can now scroll the maps. I'm pretty sure that you still can't, but if concern #2 were addressed, then scrolling would be less necessary. Of course, as you've pointed out, there's always Maprika, etc. for searching beyond the visible map on the Elemnt.

Other than that, there's a lot to like about the Elemnt/Bolt, including a really sharp screen that's easy to ready even in bright sunlight. Thanks!

Why are you asking Pat, he's barely used it :p. I have about 6K miles on mine. It's easy to update maps thru the phone app. At some point trails disappear as you zoom out but I don't know what scale that is - has never been an issue for me. No scrolling.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Why are you asking Pat, he's barely used it :p. I have about 6K miles on mine. It's easy to update maps thru the phone app. At some point trails disappear as you zoom out but I don't know what scale that is - has never been an issue for me. No scrolling.

Good point. Dick. :D

FitmanNJ

Don't sweat it, Pat, no hurry -- just thought I'd ask. I was in Mahlon Dickerson a couple of years ago with the Elemnt riding some trails that I hadn't been on before. I got far enough out so the parking lot was off-screen. Being in a new section, I knew the general direction I had to go to get back, but wasn't sure exactly which mapped trail(s) would get me there. This was during a cold winter day, too -- it was a little unsettling, but I made it back fine.

FitmanNJ

Thanks, Rick. So it's your understanding that the map updates include the latest Open Street Map version? I'm always adding/modifying trails on the OSM website when I see trail closures, reroutes, etc. so it would be neat if they could be loaded to Wahoo devices. Garmin units generally allow you to download the maps directly from the OSM website, so you're getting mods submitted up to a week or two prior to the download (there's a little processing time between changes to the map and their becoming available in the publically-available download file). My interest in zooming and scrolling stems from the issue described in my note to Pat above.

And, why did I ask Pat? Well, let's just say that I know his Elemnt pretty well. ;) Thanks!

Tim

aka sptimmy43
Thanks, Rick. So it's your understanding that the map updates include the latest Open Street Map version? I'm always adding/modifying trails on the OSM website when I see trail closures, reroutes, etc. so it would be neat if they could be loaded to Wahoo devices. Garmin units generally allow you to download the maps directly from the OSM website, so you're getting mods submitted up to a week or two prior to the download (there's a little processing time between changes to the map and their becoming available in the publically-available download file). My interest in zooming and scrolling stems from the issue described in my note to Pat above.

And, why did I ask Pat? Well, let's just say that I know his Elemnt pretty well. ;) Thanks!

Looks like that functionality was added Nov 27...
https://support.wahoofitness.com/hc/en-us/articles/217285397-ELEMNT-Software-Updates

I'm basically sold on the Elemnt Bolt after this...

KStwenty1

I now prefer buttons over touchscreen - I got tired of my garmin changing pages on its own. Never happens with my elemnt. Also the elemnt comes preloaded with most trail system maps, even with the small screen (I have the bolt) it's easy to see where I'm at, and again with the buttons zooming in and out is simple.
Are the maps upgradable and free?

rick81721

Lothar

I don't know what maps they use in the updates but I can tell you I just updated Florida and our street is still not on it. This street is new tho, it just showed up on google maps a few months ago.

Re: trails, they are visible at 2000' scale, disappear at 1 mile. However, your track is still visible at any scale so I don't see what the issue is if you are trying to find your way back to the beginning of a ride.

FitmanNJ

Looks like that functionality was added Nov 27...
https://support.wahoofitness.com/hc/en-us/articles/217285397-ELEMNT-Software-Updates

I'm basically sold on the Elemnt Bolt after this...
Thanks, Timmy. Despite what it might look like from my comments, I think Wahoo makes a great computer -- and you can see from the update site that they address bugs and implement improvements far more frequently than Garmin. I think that Wahoo has to modify the base OSM map for use on it's units, so the user can't update to the absolutely most recent, "unmodified" version of OSM. With the Nov 27 update, however, it means that, until the next announced Wahoo map update, the maps on the Elemnt and Bolt will be current as of Nov 27, 2017. Prior to that modification/update, the available maps were from mid-2015, I believe, when the Elemnt was first introduced.

Tim

aka sptimmy43
Thanks, Timmy. Despite what it might look like from my comments, I think Wahoo makes a great computer -- and you can see from the update site that they address bugs and implement improvements far more frequently than Garmin. I think that Wahoo has to modify the base OSM map for use on it's units, so the user can't update to the absolutely most recent, "unmodified" version of OSM. With the Nov 27 update, however, it means that, until the next announced Wahoo map update, the maps on the Elemnt and Bolt will be current as of Nov 27, 2017. Prior to that modification/update, the available maps were from mid-2015, I believe, when the Elemnt was first introduced.
Good to know. Thanks for clarifying.

FitmanNJ

I don't know what maps they use in the updates but I can tell you I just updated Florida and our street is still not on it. This street is new tho, it just showed up on google maps a few months ago.

Re: trails, they are visible at 2000' scale, disappear at 1 mile. However, your track is still visible at any scale so I don't see what the issue is if you are trying to find your way back to the beginning of a ride.
As I suggested in the note to Timmy above, my guess is that your street wasn't mapped to OSM as of Nov 27, 2017, therefore it's not present on the currently-available Wahoo map download. You could look at the current version of OSM at openstreetmap.org and see if anybody has added your street to the map since Nov 27, 2017. If so, and if Wahoo does another map update, your street should be there.

Based on your comments, the scale at which trails appear doesn't seem to have changed recently. And, you're correct, the "find your way back" issue isn't huge. But, at Mahlon Dickerson, for instance, some trails that you might physically encounter that appear to go toward your starting point could become virtually unrideable (unless you're Jeff Lenosky) -- or could curl around and go in the wrong direction, which could make for a long haul back. All of the trails that I've mapped to OSM can be ridden by bike, so that's handy information to have available. I would imagine that several other large trail systems, especially those with technical sections (e.g., Waywayanda, Ringwood, Allamuchy North, Stephens, etc.) could present with the same challenge.

Admittedly, this is a pretty narrow concern for most persons...and I'm still very positive in general toward the Wahoo products.

rick81721

Lothar
As I suggested in the note to Timmy above, my guess is that your street wasn't mapped to OSM as of Nov 27, 2017, therefore it's not present on the currently-available Wahoo map download. You could look at the current version of OSM at openstreetmap.org and see if anybody has added your street to the map since Nov 27, 2017. If so, and if Wahoo does another map update, your street should be there.

Just checked - our street is not on openstreetmap.org, but it is on google maps.

soundz

The Hat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I ended up throwing an old iPhone 5c on my bike.

with this:

https://www.shapeways.com/product/9RV4RQFAY/garmin-male-mount

and this:

a22fc499-7a3c-40b4-ac42-914df3746e51_1000.jpg

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's

RSAmerica

The battery on my Edge 520 is starting to go. Should get a refurbished unit from Garmin or just pick up a Edge 1000 for $297? The only thing I do not like with the 520 is the screen is too small and you can not pan the map, only zoom. Can you pan the map on the 1000 & 820?

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
You can zoom and scroll the map on the 1000

However the battery replacement on the Garmin is not hard. At least my 1000 was a 5min job and a $16 part

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I got a Fenix 5s from work. I used it a few times with my 520 and it works just as good. Being a "wearable", its got a bunch of other features like all day HR, sleep tracking, silent alarms, etc. It's pretty awesome and I wear it 24x7.
That said, it's pretty damn expensive and I wouldn't buy it if I had to pay for it. Maybe if I was a multi sport athlete.

The days of using a mobile device instead of a bike specific computer are near though. I promise.

If a iPhone or Android phone was the size of a Garmin, would you want it on your bars? Any mapping app, Strava, calls, music, weather, alarms. I know I would... With all the sensors being Bluetooth anyway, u wouldn't miss much. Except maybe GPS accuracy.

Check the Hammerhead. It's finally shipping. This is just the beginning of these new devices.

Top Bottom