I need to buy a new bike computer...

KStwenty1

So I had a Garmin 500 which was friggin awesome, but it has long since stopped working for me. I’m in the market for a new bike computer and I’m ready (financially) to buy another. I don’t know what bells and whistles are the best but would also like the most bang for my buck. Which ones do you have and what does it do that the Garmin 500 does t do that’s a total can’t-live-without-it upgrade?
Any advice appreciated.

MadisonDan

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I went from the 500 to the 820 and love it... Others will not share that opinion. Does everything 500 does, plus has maps, and bluetooth sync to phone for update/notifications/live track/etc.

Jmann

Never gonna let you down.
Being that I now live in an area I don't really know that well, the 820 would be a better fit. But I already have a 510 and a wahoo Element. The 510 was great but the on off button has gotten sticky so I need to look into having it fixed. The element is great but seems more fragile than the garmin. I haven't used it on my bars for the dirt for fear of killing it. I also heard good things about the wahoo bolt. I bought my computers mostly for road riding and racing. Having power cadence and hr right in front of me.
The element was quite a bit newer than my 510, so the features are more up to date. Like auto upload when on wifi.
I think it depends on what you need it for.

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
The 520 has been good for me. Does the auto upload, shows text messages, incoming phone calls, plus the usual stats, can load rides and follow them. No touch, but I learned to live without that.

KStwenty1

Right now, the Garmin Edge 1000 is like $100 cheaper than the 820. I guess they’re making from for the 1030 coming out soon. So why not the 1000?

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
The 1000 is overkill if you're not running Di2. But, if they're cheaper than the 820, do it. For the rides you'll be doing the mapping of an 8 or 1000 series is so worth it over a 5.

Tim

aka sptimmy43
Great topic. I have been looking into computers for a while, too. What makes either a Garmin (520 or 820) or Wahoo (Elemnt Bolt) better for MTB/off-road riding specifically? I have read equally compelling opinions on whether touch screen (Garmin 8xx or 10xx) is better than a button interface (Wahoo or Garmin 520) and vise versa. I would be most interested in which mapping system is better for off road use.

I guess the other question is what makes a dedicated cycle GPS computer better than my iPhone that I already have and will be carrying anyway?

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Great topic. I have been looking into computers for a while, too. What makes either a Garmin (520 or 820) or Wahoo (Elemnt Bolt) better for MTB/off-road riding specifically? I have read equally compelling opinions on whether touch screen (Garmin 8xx or 10xx) is better than a button interface (Wahoo or Garmin 520) and vise versa. I would be most interested in which mapping system is better for off road use.

I guess the other question is what makes a dedicated cycle GPS computer better than my iPhone that I already have and will be carrying anyway?

i'm running an Elemnt. very cool, has its own wifi connection, and btle and ant. does di2/etap integration (gear selection indication/battery warning)

dedicated better than phone, cause:
it doesn't run the phone down, unless using it for real-time tracking.
more options for screens
screen is on during ride
more durable in rain/wet/dirt
phone safer in back pocket - (although i ran my phone on my stem for a couple years w/o problem)
there is probably more - that was just a quick thought.

rick81721

Lothar

I now prefer buttons over touchscreen - I got tired of my garmin changing pages on its own. Never happens with my elemnt. Also the elemnt comes preloaded with most trail system maps, even with the small screen (I have the bolt) it's easy to see where I'm at, and again with the buttons zooming in and out is simple.

Tim

aka sptimmy43
i'm running an Elemnt. very cool, has its own wifi connection, and btle and ant. does di2/etap integration (gear selection indication/battery warning)

dedicated better than phone, cause:
it doesn't run the phone down, unless using it for real-time tracking.
more options for screens
screen is on during ride
more durable in rain/wet/dirt
phone safer in back pocket - (although i ran my phone on my stem for a couple years w/o problem)
there is probably more - that was just a quick thought.
I agree with all of the points you made on phone vs dedicated unit.

Not trying to hijack KStwenty1's thread but...

How is the mapping on the Wahoo off road? Can you install custom maps or update the base map?

I sweat like a pig so I have been leaning towards a unit with buttons vs. a touchscreen. I am also a bit concerned with battery life. Seems the Garmin doesn't last nearly as long as the Wahoo (not that any of my rides last that long). To justify the expense the mapping needs to be excellent for when I visit new parks and don't know the trails. If I am going to replace my phone as the go-to device then I don't want to have to pull my phone out to determine where I am.

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
i also sweat like a pig (even in the winter when underdressed i will end up sweating by the end of the ride) and i havent had any problems with my garmin on the out front mount, most of the sweat seems to land on the top tube rather than the handlebars for mtn biking.

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
Another ex-Garmin user here who has happily switched to the Wahoo.

Bike is their main focus while Bike is like garmin’s 50th

Patrick

Staff member
I agree with all of the points you made on phone vs dedicated unit.

Not trying to hijack KStwenty1's thread but...

How is the mapping on the Wahoo off road? Can you install custom maps or update the base map?

I sweat like a pig so I have been leaning towards a unit with buttons vs. a touchscreen. I am also a bit concerned with battery life. Seems the Garmin doesn't last nearly as long as the Wahoo (not that any of my rides last that long). To justify the expense the mapping needs to be excellent for when I visit new parks and don't know the trails. If I am going to replace my phone as the go-to device then I don't want to have to pull my phone out to determine where I am.

i used the stock map at wayway, and it was fine. Unless i need to get back to a parking lot, i typically just keep riding, so
it is a low priority to me. when really lost, out comes maprika because of the color screen, better labels, and manipulation.

FitmanNJ

Hi, Pat,

I'm curious to know whether Wahoo has improved a few features that were a frustration for me in the past. Do you know if:

1) ...there's now a way for the user to "manually" update the maps? I believe that Wahoo announced a map update a few months ago, but I've wondered whether it added any user functionality or was just a one-time update to the original, "static" map provided by Wahoo at purchase (which is a pretty good version of Open Street Maps, but wouldn't reflect any additions/changes made after its creation by Wahoo).
2) ...you can now see trails at scales higher than the "2000'" view? In the past, IIRC, you couldn't see trails on the map if zoomed out more than 2000'. If this were possible, it would help with my third concern below:
3) ...you can now scroll the maps. I'm pretty sure that you still can't, but if concern #2 were addressed, then scrolling would be less necessary. Of course, as you've pointed out, there's always Maprika, etc. for searching beyond the visible map on the Elemnt.

Other than that, there's a lot to like about the Elemnt/Bolt, including a really sharp screen that's easy to ready even in bright sunlight. Thanks!

Patrick

Staff member
Hi, Pat,

I'm curious to know whether Wahoo has improved a few features that were a frustration for me in the past. Do you know if:

1) ...there's now a way for the user to "manually" update the maps? I believe that Wahoo announced a map update a few months ago, but I've wondered whether it added any user functionality or was just a one-time update to the original, "static" map provided by Wahoo at purchase (which is a pretty good version of Open Street Maps, but wouldn't reflect any additions/changes made after its creation by Wahoo).
2) ...you can now see trails at scales higher than the "2000'" view? In the past, IIRC, you couldn't see trails on the map if zoomed out more than 2000'. If this were possible, it would help with my third concern below:
3) ...you can now scroll the maps. I'm pretty sure that you still can't, but if concern #2 were addressed, then scrolling would be less necessary. Of course, as you've pointed out, there's always Maprika, etc. for searching beyond the visible map on the Elemnt.

Other than that, there's a lot to like about the Elemnt/Bolt, including a really sharp screen that's easy to ready even in bright sunlight. Thanks!

-not sure about loading custom maps. i could poke around, but you are better at maps than most.
-will mess with the zoom feature if i can get over to RV tomorrow
-no scrolling, not enough buttons!! (not that they couldn't figure out a way to overload them) - this is a serious drawback for "map people"

Top Bottom