I need a new bike

roc

I need a new bike. I have ridden the new stump jumper comp carbon and it was awesome. I tried a trek e8 27.5 and was not impressed, although it did suck up all the bumps very well.
My budget is in the 3-5k range.
Any suggestions?
I live in Motown, but mostly ride mooch, ringwood and high mountain.
Anybody selling a pretty new used bike? Size large.

ninja4life

whats up ROC, its been a long time brother. you should check out Wycoff Cycles they're close to High Mountain. I can see you on a Pivot Trail 429 :)

Reggie

Formerly ReggieHammond
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I want to try the non carbon one. I break shit a lot. I don’t think I’m a candidate for carbon.

FWIW.....I have a cemetery of broken frames in my backyard. My carbon Giant XTC is awesome with absolutely zero issues. I think you'd be fine with carbon.

roc

FWIW.....I have a cemetery of broken frames in my backyard. My carbon Giant XTC is awesome with absolutely zero issues. I think you'd be fine with carbon.
Let's talk. I'd rather not spend a shit ton of money if I don't have to. Whatever I get will be a huge upgrade from my old bike.

icebiker

JORBA: Morris Trails
JORBA.ORG
Haven’t been bike shopping in a long while and likely won’t be for some time, so I have nothing to suggest, but I will live vicariously through your thread. :cool::popcorn:

Reggie

Formerly ReggieHammond
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Let's talk. I'd rather not spend a shit ton of money if I don't have to. Whatever I get will be a huge upgrade from my old bike.

Rob, my Giant is a HT. I was referencing that you absolutely could ride a carbon bike. IMHO, I would buy something new rather than spend 50% of your budget upgrading your current ride. Just my $0.02.

extremedave

Team MTBNJ Halter's
The new stumpy 29 (ST) and Trance 29 are on my radar and can be had within your budget. The Trance (2 I think, aluminum) at $3200 comes with decent suspension and a dropper post. Most of the newer bikes are capable of running 2.4-2.6 tires which makes plus tire sizing less necessary. YMMV there.

I buy almost only used these days. Downside is if you break things there's less support and frames are only warrantied to original owners.

I am a fan of Santa Cruz but personally lean towards their 27.5 stuff, although if you want something a little racy the Blur is very well received. Honestly any modern new bike is gonna rock your world and work really well for you.

A Potted Plant

Honorary Sod
If I go FS I'm in the same shoes as you @roc I'm looking at the new jeffsy or stumpy both in soda can flavor, Carbon for me is pointless since I can make up the weight difference with a trip to the bathroom or if I got serious drop the weight of 2 bikes.

I know YT did demo's in the area last year so I am going to try to demo a bike this year before I pull the trigger my only qualm is warranty replacement. This is going to be my only new bike for the next 5+ years so if I break it I need to be able to replace it.

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
One thing I noticed... carbon isn't as cold to the touch as aluminum during the winter months... if it counts for anything.

roc

If I go FS I'm in the same shoes as you @roc I'm looking at the new jeffsy or stumpy both in soda can flavor, Carbon for me is pointless since I can make up the weight difference with a trip to the bathroom or if I got serious drop the weight of 2 bikes.

I know YT did demo's in the area last year so I am going to try to demo a bike this year before I pull the trigger my only qualm is warranty replacement. This is going to be my only new bike for the next 5+ years so if I break it I need to be able to replace it.
I demoed a yeti behind Martys in Randolph. It was their top of the line bike or close to it, it was ok. Nothing compared to the 29 comp carbon stump jumper. That thing is awesome.

trener1

I would say have a serious look and a demo if you can of the Rocky Mountain Thunderbolt, it is supposed to be a great bike and you can get the alloy version for as low as $2600, and move up the price point from there.
http://www.bikes.com/en/bikes/thunderbolt/2019
I believe that Tenefly Bike works will let you demo one.

Another one to look at is the Norco Sight

Top Bottom