I have no idea how to build mouse traps, but I can figure it out.

can i pull this off?

• Total voters

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
I've always wanted to make my own courses for cross or mountain biking. I remember moons ago hearing the phrase, "build a better mouse trap". So I'm going to try it. I have no idea how this will actually go (may disappear like a @bonefishjake blog), I kind of have no idea what I'm doing, but I have the right ideas and I think that is enough to get the momenteum rolling.

Day 1
After the last QCCX race (local, pre-legit NCCX series, considered the minor leagues. Raleigh has one and Asheville does. Sadly they are 2 hours away in opposite directions), the numbers were going down, I realized it's because it's the same venue. Sure, the course is different-ish, but who wants to go to the same venue 4 weeks in a row? I came home and shot out some emails to some local park people to see if I could get any interest. I get a reply back from some guy that is interested and wants to meet with me. Oh crap, okay. I research a couple of "things" that to say. I have no idea what this guy knows about this sport of cyclocross or anything like that. I'm more than prepared to be shut down and told to go home.

Drive to the park, go to the guys office and he's younger, my age. I'm nervous about talking about insurance, ruining grass, blah blah blah. The first thing the guy leads off with

"So I watched a 10 minute video and I'm worried that the gravel we have is too rough for cyclocross tires. The start has to be 100 meters long right? The barriers have the be a minimum of 16 inches or something"?

THE GUY RESEARCHED AND KNOWS ABOUT WHAT WE ARE DOING. HE THINKS ITS AWESOME.

I'm blown away. He's totally on board. He LOVES the idea. I'm almost thrown off my game at this point.

When I first heard back from the park manager at this location, I wasn't too excited. The grass and front area where I think the race would end up being is meh, it was small but hey, I'd give anything a chance just to have a canvas to put something on. We hop in his truck and explore the property some more and head further into the back. Since we are looking for something for next year, he shows me where a new parking lot will end up being in a 6 months and this beautiful area.

It was like a cyclocross dream playground. Off camber, beautiful quarry views, freshly cut single track. bench cut nirvana. Mature trees. Tons of natural elements. Shade from the sun. Grass that natural and not fragile that it would be damaged from a race. We walked around and in my head, I expected that I would be the only one to be interested in features.

HE STARTS POINTING OUT HIS IDEAS THAT HE LOOKED AT EARLIER IN THE DAY.

I hear nightmares about parks giving you crap about putting on events, but this guy, he seems all in. He is confident his team will agree. I wanted to take pictures of the area but I will have to go back another day.

So, blogging may be dead, but keeping up with this adventure for the next year could be interesting.

MadisonDan

Team MTBNJ Halter's
you-can-do-it-meme-4-1.jpeg

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
when does registration open?

GL! i'm sure you'll crush it!

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
I've always wanted to make my own courses for cross or mountain biking. I remember moons ago hearing the phrase, "build a better mouse trap". So I'm going to try it. I have no idea how this will actually go (may disappear like a @bonefishjake blog), I kind of have no idea what I'm doing, but I have the right ideas and I think that is enough to get the momenteum rolling.

Day 1
After the last QCCX race (local, pre-legit NCCX series, considered the minor leagues. Raleigh has one and Asheville does. Sadly they are 2 hours away in opposite directions), the numbers were going down, I realized it's because it's the same venue. Sure, the course is different-ish, but who wants to go to the same venue 4 weeks in a row? I came home and shot out some emails to some local park people to see if I could get any interest. I get a reply back from some guy that is interested and wants to meet with me. Oh crap, okay. I research a couple of "things" that to say. I have no idea what this guy knows about this sport of cyclocross or anything like that. I'm more than prepared to be shut down and told to go home.

Drive to the park, go to the guys office and he's younger, my age. I'm nervous about talking about insurance, ruining grass, blah blah blah. The first thing the guy leads off with

"So I watched a 10 minute video and I'm worried that the gravel we have is too rough for cyclocross tires. The start has to be 100 meters long right? The barriers have the be a minimum of 16 inches or something"?

I'm blown away. He's totally on board. He LOVES the idea. I'm almost thrown off my game at this point.

When I first heard back from the park manager at this location, I wasn't too excited. The grass and front area where I think the race would end up being is meh, it was small but hey, I'd give anything a chance just to have a canvas to put something on. We hop in his truck and explore the property some more and head further into the back. Since we are looking for something for next year, he shows me where a new parking lot will end up being in a 6 months and this beautiful area.

It was like a cyclocross dream playground. Off camber, beautiful quarry views, freshly cut single track. bench cut nirvana. Mature trees. Tons of natural elements. Shade from the sun. Grass that natural and not fragile that it would be damaged from a race. We walked around and in my head, I expected that I would be the only one to be interested in features.

I hear nightmares about parks giving you crap about putting on events, but this guy, he seems all in. He is confident his team will agree. I wanted to take pictures of the area but I will have to go back another day.

So, blogging may be dead, but keeping up with this adventure for the next year could be interesting.
Good luck.

The nightmares are probably from NJ where an entire county has a ban on MTB.

Big Dumb Animal

Hippo Nipples' #1 Fan

Day 1

I think the key factor is that the guy was your age. A lot of people get set in their ways and think something will never be because it has never been. Just like banning mountain biking up here in Essex county, or whatever county it is we're not allowed to ride in, the arguments become cyclical because no one wants to stop and think, they just assume based on misleading information.

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Give me the date, I'll register and race.

I'm sure it's going to be a lot of thankless work, but someone's gotta do it, glad you're stepping up.

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Totally agree

2 young hungry guys with a vision a drive and expressing a desire to give people something they need want or experience.

Nothing more rewarding then to hear great course great vibe and well run event. A must do! You have been there put it together...

Just don't ask me to come down for TM :)

Mountain Bike Mike

Can I setup a tent in your yard if we make the trip to support your event a d if so Will the campsite (backyard) have electric, bathroom and shower facilities be provided ?

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
how the hell did i get dragged into this @pearl?

seriously though, if you want to bounce ideas off me or have any questions feel free to ping me. i started asking questions here in town and next thing i know i'm running the trails committee and voted to the open space committee. one thing i will tell you from the jump is that, no matter what they say, expect it to take wayyyyyyy more time than you want it to. it just seems to be the nature of these politic things.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Like Jake said, if you have any questions, ask Jake. Don't ask me. F cyclocross.

Top Bottom