Jshort’s bike thread

szymon

Nice job taking the sprint, it was a good call running tires with more grip I made the mistake of thinking it would be dry and fast since they didn't show rain the day before and very worn down Ralph's did not work very well to say the least.

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Nice job taking the sprint, it was a good call running tires with more grip I made the mistake of thinking it would be dry and fast since they didn't show rain the day before and very worn down Ralph's did not work very well to say the least.

Thanks. After running that tire at Bear Creek I knew it would make the terrain more manageable. It came in handy on the third lap when I was wearing down and getting a sloppy. It definitely increased my margin for error.

jShort

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Pre Nats thoughts from Snowshoe West Virginia:

20180719_184717.jpg

The drive up here yesterday was pretty uneventful. I took my wifes VW Tiguan because i pack a ridiculous amount of stuff for 2 nights. I get here around 1230, checked in and unpacked my car. On the walk up to the room I saw this:

20180719_184841.jpg

Yea right

20180719_185353.jpg

One the way to Reg I saw @Rich W and he gave me the scoop on the course. Its basically identical to last year's course exepct they dont run it through the Village which is kind of a bummer, but not big deal. I guess it was kind of a PITA last year for people walking around to the stores and shops when there's barricades everywhere. Its now an uphill start but nothing crazy.

Once i got back to my room with my number i look at the "schedule" and saw i had to wait until 6:30 tp pre ride. Ok... whatever. I tried to take a nap because i woke up so early, and that lasted for about 15 minutes. After which I said fuck it, got my gear on and hit the course. There were some people out there already so nobody was busting balls for riding. The Enduro races were going on but at that point they werent anywhere near the XC course.

On the first pre ride lap, I was a little winded. Maybe the 5k feet of elevation, maybe just nerves... but on the second lap I felt fine. I went pretty slow and other than the huge fireroad climbs my HR stayed pretty low. I saw lots of people fretting about the rock gardens, but really other than 1 spot where there are some slick roots on a little step but there is nothing to sweat. In fact, the sketchiest part of the race is the first woods section which was clearly built just for nats. It was probably thrown together last minute for last year and its the same shitty, washed out rooty sections with off camber switch backs which are slick as hell. Too bad they had a year and couldn't do a few hours of TM . Its a really pretty forest and could be something awesome, but instead its washed out roots with some mud.

20180719_160901.jpg

i just a huge breakfast and in a bit i'll going to go check the 10AM races which includes Masters 30-40.

I'm feeling pretty good, but i found the race is 5 laps which should take between 2 - 2 1/2 hours. It is a little longer than i'm used too so I'll have to pace myself and extra nutrition . My biggest issue will be holding back in the first 5 minutes when instincts tell me to GET TO THE FRONT. If I can without killing myself I will... I'd really like to be in the lead pack but being a long race I have to remember to conserve.

So far, no Paparazzi pics (Sorry @stb222, i'll keep working on that)

And I must mention that @muddybike WON THE ENDURO MASTERS NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP . #legit. Fucking Killer job by Kris. Last year seeing her wipe out ( I didn't actually see it, but saw her afterwards) She was bummed, but didnt let her bring her down. To see her come back and take the top podium spot is so awesome. I'm proud to be on the same team as her.

Race goes off at 2:15 PM. All i'm hoping for is a clean race. If i can get through with no issues, I like my chances of being in the mix.

jShort

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Edit that, I just got an email :MTB Nationals Race Day 4 Communique. Why TF is it a "Communique". We're in West Fucking Virginia. It's a communication.

Anyway per the "Communique" I'm only doing 4 laps which is fine my me!!!

20180720_085008.jpg

muddybike

Team MTBNJ Halter's
And I must mention that @muddybike WON THE ENDURO MASTERS NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP . #legit. Fucking Killer job by Kris. Last year seeing her wipe out ( I didn't actually see it, but saw her afterwards) She was bummed, but didnt let her bring her down. To see her come back and take the top podium spot is so awesome. I'm proud to be on the same team as her.

Thanks Jeremy!!!!

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Those pics remind me of that rocky downhill where Laura ate shit. Did they leave those rocks in?

Top Bottom