Jshort’s bike thread

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
1) where do you go before going OTF and for point 2) how do you go from sitting at the back to being OTF?

Like me, Jeremy is a cat 1 MTB racer. OK so maybe I don't deserve that as much now, but I did then. As a cat 1 off-roadie, Jeremy has the power to go from last to first in about 30 seconds. Keep in mind this is cat 4/5 we're talking about here. There will be a few races where you'll average 25 mph, but not many. The garden-variety crits will have moments when you are sitting in the pack wondering, "did something run into the road?" because it's going so slow.

In most of these 4/5 races there are 20 moments like this. Pick any one of them and just blast past the pack and shoot off the front.

Delish

Team MTBNJ Halter's
@Norm's right...it comes down to goals. Crits are a hell of a lot of fun but if you don't see yourself wanting to make it a key part of your racing plan there are good ways to stay relatively safe and get a good workout.

My early crit experience can be summed up as follows: try a bunch of stupid attacks that never work, get swarmed during the final sprint. Once I finally started making a real effort to upgrade to Cat 3 I raced much differently (smarter) and upgrade points started coming somewhat predictably. For me, the way to get points was to sit in and do essentially no work during the race--either tailgun or sit somewhere near the front but never actually work to chase down the silly attacks--then use my one and only match at just the right time. It takes patience and planning to put yourself in a good position for the sprint and the cajones and/or brawn to hold it. But, this is not the way to get a really good workout. For a good workout, see "OTF" above.

Other note about 4/5 races: Long range attacks almost never succeed. I think this is because Cat 4/5 races either have no idea what kind of massive effort it takes to get away or just don't have the engines necessary (or perhaps both). Most 4/5's attack like cute kittens pawing at a ball of yarn compared to the violent and sustained cheetah-mauling-a-wildebeest attacks & counter-attacks you see from Cat 1/2/3 racers.

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
For reference, the Somerville race was 30 minutes, and my avg speed was a hair under 27 mph. (Per Garmin)

I think people were going extra hard because of the short race time.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
then use my one and only match at just the right time.

That's what a lot of crit racing comes down to. Build one bad ass match, that gets you the last 1000 yards faster than anyone else. Then practice hiding. And get good dental insurance.

Plus you also need to get lucky. Shit is just like that sometimes.

I think people were going extra hard because of the short race time.

Probably because it's Somerville. The Freedom Tour used to also be up there. I think that was typically the fastest race of the year. That's abnormal though.

jShort

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Bear Creek recap…

It seems like I’m finally getting past the winter blues (it’s fucking June already, but whatever) and my fitness is improving. My allergies which destroyed me at Way Way 50K are under control (3 different meds, at the same time) AND, my new (7 month old) bike is finally dialed. All the little buttons, knobs, levers, PSIs, etc are where I want them and I can adjust when needed as needed. I’ve really come a loooong way since that hop brook race.

Pre race nutrition for a 1PM race is a little different since I’m used to earlier races. I’ll bore you with the details:
When I wake up:
3 pancakes consisting of 1/2 Kodiak cake mix and 1/2 instant oats)
Half a banana in the pancakes, the other half while I’m cooking them.
Little bit of syrup
Black coffee

On the ride there:
1 left over pancake
Starbucks cold brew coffee from a gas station (sipped on this and finished it an hour before race) this really give a nice caffeine kick. Just need to be careful you don’t overdo it because if it does, you may need to hit the potty when you’re lining up.
Beet VO2 Max drink
Skratch Bar 1:15 before the race.

I rolled up with the family in tow. I figured this was a good event to bring them because the venue is a resort with places to eat and things to play on, and a kids race.
I reg’d and got my shit ready and they did their own thing, which was nice. It used to be stressful to bring the kids to a race, but as they’ve gotten older its like a whole 2% less stressful now.
I’ve just learned to let my better half deal it 98% of the time.

They ended up having a great time...
FB_IMG_1528129494292.jpg

After running into the MTBNJ Crew (Kirt, Iggy, 6er (who took my stickers of his bike), we heard the conditions were OK, but slimy rocks were haunting some racers on the backside.
I’m kind of familiar with the course having done Nats there and last year’s enduro, So I knew the course is technical (probably the most technical course ?) Throw some muddy, sweating rocks, and I decided to swap tires. I started with a 2.35 ralph on front and decided to put on the vittoria tire which is much beefier.

Vittoria:
20180604_084114.jpg

Ralph:
20180604_084124.jpg

I mean, if its good enough for Paul Ferrand Prevot to win a UCI race, its good enough for me.
download.jpg

Turns out that was the right call.

We line up and I know a few people, but this was my first MASS XC race in a year so I wasn’t positive who was who. I knew the guy Mark who has been winning every Cat 1 40 -49 race for a while was there, but I wasn’t positive which he was.

The Order was:
Pro
Elite 40+
Cat 1 19-39
SS
Cat 1 40-49 combined with the 50’s
All Women

Once we go off its obvious which one he was, he was of the front. I settle into 3rd behind Werner and Mark. We climb a bit, hit a rocky little downhill (is immediately clear the dropper and beefy tire was the right call, again) and right before we climb, Werner pulls over and seems like he has a mechanical. I latch onto Mark’s wheel and follow up the climb.
It’s a long climb to the top and my legs feel great. The HR isn’t up as high but I’m not concerned with that. I stay with Mark as we hit some other groups.

By the time we got the top of the climb we were passing SS’rs and 19-39’rs left and right. I kept saying 1 more, 1 more trying to make the passes and everyone was super cool about pulling to the side and letting me by. Really cool to see that because it’s usually NOT that easy. But as we ventured to the technical sections, it just wasn’t possible. Mark made some passes in the perfect spots and when it was my turn to pass the same guy I got a little hung up. This happened a few times and eventually I lost sight of Mark.
I was feeling so good, I wasn’t about to give up though so I kept pushing. I actually thought I caught him on the second lap, but It turned out to be another guy in the same kit.
On the 3rd lap I was pretty much all by myself. I would catch the occasional rider. The course was kicking a lot of people’s asses and I passed a lot with empty gas tanks.
I have to be honest, after being on that side for the first few races, having lots of gas for the last lap felt great. And after I passed each one, I put out a max effort and make sure they didn’t even try to latch on. But otherwise I rode a conservative last lap and made sure I didn’t flat or crash or fall victim to the course in any other way, shape, or form.

Rolled through the finish line in 2nd. 4+ minutes behind the winner.

I would have loved to have been able to stick with him and seen how long I could have hung without getting caught in traffic. I doubt I would have been able to run a 4 minute faster race, and if I tried I may have popped, so maybe its for the better.
As someone once told me, “There’s always another fucking race”.
IMG_20180603_180442_240.jpg

IMG_20180603_180442_242.jpg

Last edited:

JDurk

I’ve just learned to let my better half deal it 98% of the time.

Nice job getting on the 2nd step. Observed her dealing with a 98% moment by our team tent. One of your little dudes dropped his ice cream and was on the verge of nuclear meltdown, she picked up his cup and your other little guy shares his. Meltdown over.

jShort

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Nice job getting on the 2nd step. Observed her dealing with a 98% moment by our team tent. One of your little dudes dropped his ice cream and was on the verge of nuclear meltdown, she picked up his cup and your other little guy shares his. Meltdown over.

That's why she's the better half. She handles these situations much better. Getting one to share ice cream is a pro move. I'm sure back room bribes were made.... ;)

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
i like throwing in the "hey thats my race" if you have the lungs. it usually helps people realize that you arent really racing them and they are more then often happy to move over. granted depending on the trail, you are F'd.

u still my hero

jShort

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Lew – Mo

Last week sucked. After a so-so start at Stewart, I loosened up and was riding strong on the second lap. I thought I was in 4th. I attacked going into the last lap, passed 3 guys and then thought I was winning…until I caught 3 more guys which I didn’t realize were in front. But once I recovered, and I was with them for a few minutes, I was still feeling great. I was getting stronger as the day was going on but then I flatted and my race ended. I was pissed but that’s part of the game. I think having to walk a mile to a dirt road, and then ride with a flat tire made me more pissed, but that passed after a beer. No full recap because recapping a shitty race sucks…

I put some additional pressure on myself to have a good race this weekend at Lewis Morris. I’ve done this race so many times, I knew it would be a big field with lots of fast dudes, many of which are not very good at riding mountain bikes.

I pre –rode the course a few times and felt pretty confident I knew the right lines and trim as much time off as possible. Even though I do the race every year, I never ride here otherwise so remembering the intricacies of the course isn’t something I’ve had in the past, I have a terrible memory when it comes to trails. It’s like @capers and pizza, they all taste, or in this case they look exactly the same, especially here.

My plan never changes, stick with the leaders as long as possible. If I blow up then I blow up and I wasn’t going to win anyway. At this point in the season and after last week, I was looking for a podium. I knew Rich (who I rode with most of last week’s race) and Martin S. are both very fast and I assumed they would be in the mix. There were also a lot of new faces which I didn’t know, but LM always brings out the ringers so I didn’t know what to expect.

When it was time to line up I made sure I was there early. 26ish people pre-reg’d, and there isn’t much room for passing that many people, and from the front to the back of the field was pretty far. I’ve seen people go down petty hard at Lew mo starts because they got tangled up.

Once we go off, the 16 YO kid next to me takes off like a rocket. Rich is right behind him and then someone else, and then me. The long start up the fire road climb seemed like it took forever. I was stressing about not losing any positions right before the singletrack. I may have blocked a move or 3 but nobody yelled so I guess they didn’t think I was being dirty. I was really just trying to take the smoothest line, avoiding the root and rocks.

I went into the trail in 4th but immediately jumped into 3rd going over the roots. The descent and then over the bridge, and then up the next climb was steady holding third. After the switch back I was able to see the 3 of us opened a good sized lead. And this is why I wanted to stay in the front. Gabriel (the 16 YO), Rich, and then me. G set a blistering fast pace. I could tell he was slipping a little on the wet roots, but he was still setting the pace and letting his legs make up for what his skills lacked. The 3 of us rode the entire first lap together and when I looked at my Garmin, the lap time was almost exactly 28 minutes. Some quick maths told me I would not be able to repeat this two more times. I felt good but that pace would end up in 1:24 ish territory which is top 5ish in pro.

(Thanks Magic for the Pic)
8440.jpeg

Going up the climbs on the second lap I eased up and let G n R gap me a little. Still within a rocks throw, but I was consciously pacing myself, especially up that long rooty climb that goes on forever. Right before I got to the first of 2 fire roads, Rich was picking himself up after spinning out on a root. He was up and running in 2 seconds, so I sat behind him and G was off.

Rich and I rode the next lap together and going into the 3rd lap I saw our pace was a more manageable 30 minutes. Rich seemed stronger in the flats and downhills but I had an slight edge on climbs. Although he seemed to save something for the top of each climb and would surge a little as he crested the top.. which is smart. But I was able make up the gaps on each climb.

However, After the Tempe Wick parking lot, he attacked and I let him go. I was mentally ok with 3rd at this point of the race and concentrated on not losing any spots. We had passed quite a few guys in the open class so I was pretty sure I had some margin for error, but last week’s flat popped in my head and I imagined having to run the rest of the lap, lol. I decided to keep pushing and not worry about shit like flats or other mechanicals.

We were going down the endless switch backs and I would see rich was probably 8 or so seconds ahead of me. Not out of reach, but not that close either. When I got to the bottom of the switch backs I hammered. The long descents allowed for some recovery and I started to burn what matches I had left. Powering up each little climb, focusing on form and breathing, I made up a little. I was closing the gap when an endurance racer blocked me right before the washed out fire road descent before the hard right and bridge. Right after the bridge he let me by but Rich was already up ahead going over the rollers. When we got the last fire road, he was right in the grey area of being out of reach.

I gave it a shot knowing I had nothing to lose. Locked out suspension, stood and sprinted. As I went around the last turn before the ballfields he was still a little out of reach, but I don’t think he realized how fast I was coming. I shifted into highest gear and went max/”everything I had” effort. I’d love to have a power meter tell me what I was putting out because I’m sure was the most ever. As I closed the gap I pushed harder and harder.

He looked back, I passed him near the bridge right before the finish and stole second place. Whew… that was a good one.

I was talking to Rich afterwards and he was a good sport and good guy. He had a pretty nasty road rash from his spill. He said I should have passed him then and stuck with Gabriel who only finished 30 seconds or so in front of us. Woulda coulda shoulda,… but I was happy to finish second.

8435.jpeg

20180624_123420.jpg

Celegrating with Ice Cream

20180624_134420.jpg

FB_IMG_1529868274744.jpg

20180624_145418.jpg

Mountain Bike Mike

The kid in front is Gabriel. He won. He's 16 and Ken keeps telling me he is going to be a stud. Winning cat 1 races is a sure sign. I'm sure he'll be up in the open category soon.

Same happened two years ago with Tommy Steinbrenner and Joe Thomas last year now they’re both consistently at the pointy end of the pro class... All hail he 40-49 class

jShort

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Same happened two years ago with Tommy Steinbrenner and Joe Thomas last year now they’re both consistently at the pointy end of the pro class... All hail he 40-49 class

Those are good kids. This kid was cool too. I lined up next to him and asked some questions about his gu chew setup. It was pretty interesting. Anyway, he talked like a normal person which is more than I can say for some of the other younger kids I've lined up again in this year. Not that it's their fault, 15-45 is a wide range and you can't expect all of these kids to have a clue about how to act.

jShort

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Sizzler Recap

Slow day at work today so here’s a quick recap:

This place is 1:40 from my house, so an 8:30AM start had me thinking about bailing. Especially the night before while I’m at my neighbors BBQ, at 10PM lighting off fireworks and I see my kids eating smores. All I could think was that there is no way these kids were going to sleep at a reasonable time, and let me get enough sleep to wake up at 445 AM. Luckily my wide read my mind (after a few subtle hints) and I went home and went to bed. She came home with both kids a little while later and I didn’t even hear them. I managed a hair under 6 hours of sleep which isn’t perfect, but it was enough. I woke up and didn’t have that fog which usually accompanies a poor night’s sleep so I thought I was ok.

I get down in plenty of time and park next to Dan Larino …who is a force now. When I saw him at the first race in CT (when it was 32 degrees) he was on some old ass hardtail with 9 (maybe 8) gears and asking how much tire pressure to use when running tubes. Now he’s on a new Giant and winning races. Strong dude who luckily signed up for the 40+ Elite class.

Anyway, I reg, get my gear on, talk to @BrianGT3, @muddybike, Dan and @RichW, and of course @Mountain Bike Mike for a few and then it’s time to warm up. The descriptions I got were that the was twisty, flowy, and had lots of punchy little climbs. And that they are running it backwards which was apparently throwing everyone off. Lucky for me, I didn’t know backward from forward because it was my first time there.

I line up and spot Mark, who wins every Cat 1 40+ race and that the guy I want to follow. We go off and its Werner leading us into the woods and I am sticking to Mark’s wheel not wanting to let anyone sneak in between us. The first section is really tight and twisty with…you guessed it .. punchy climbs.

FB_IMG_1530629780895.jpg

There isn’t anywhere to pass so I just kind of set it on auto pilot and rode the trail. Once things opened up, Werner was still in front and riding a pretty easy pace. I do the same thing when I’m leading and know there’s fast guys behind me. It doesn’t take long for Mark to make a move on Werner and I follow. Soon, Mark and I are off and working on a gap.

77307800-IMG_0878.JPG

I am super comfortable sitting behind Mark. He’s smooth and knows the lines and I have no issues keeping up. My HR is way below threshold and I feel great. I know it’s going to get harder and hotter (it was already 85ish at the start) so conserving was the name of the game, especially when I was completely unfamiliar with the loop. Mark made a few passes and it may or may not have been intentional, but he would pass in spots where I was hard for me to follow, and then he would seem to accelerate. No issues with that, I would do the same thing. I was able to latch back on each time without burning any matches.

Going into the second lap is when things got a little interesting. Mark waved me by at the S/F meaning it was my turn to do a little work and set the pace. Ok, I felt fine. I kept a similar pace, maybe a hair slower because of my unfamiliarity with the course. We passed a SS and he asked mark what was going on that he couldn’t break the win streak.

Then we were going downhill, into a sweeping right which ends with a little climb. I heard Mark go down, I think he clipped a pedal. I didn’t look, just kept looking forward and trying to pay attention to the flow. The SS guy said “did you drop a turtle shell”? I lol’d then tried to accelerate and put a gap on assuming Mark would come charging back.

77307799-IMGL8680.JPG

This slightly heightened effort was kept up for the rest of the second lap. I was still concentrating on form, good lines through the turns, and conservation, but without a wheel to follow I was not nearly as efficient.

Going into the 3rd lap and through the S/F line I saw Mark on the sidelines… he was out. He said he went down hard and pulled out.

I had no idea how close the 2nd place rider was so I kept pushing, and shortly after, I got a little sloppy and inefficient. I could tell it was happening, it was like slow motion. I was braking late, pushing too hard out of turns, taking bad lines, and definitely feeling the heat. By the end of the third lap I was coming unraveled. I was good on water, taking about ¾ a bottle per lap. But then I ate a GU and my stomach almost immediately rejected it. Looking back, that damn Gu was when things went downhill. I don’t think it had anything to do with the Gu itself, I think my nutrition mistakes happened many hours before the race.

On the little hills right before the 4th lap was when I got caught. I thought I had better climbing legs, and I would gap on the climbs, but right after that section this guy flew by me. I could hear him breathing real heavy and I knew he was working hard. I was hoping that he was shot from the effort to catch me. So when he went by I tried to hold on.. but I could not. His lead got bigger and bigger and eventually he was out of sight.

Into the 4th lap I was not exactly zombie heat exhaustion level, but I was ready for the race to be over. It was getting hotter and hotter, and my legs were letting me know they were just about done. Luckily the 4th lap was uneventful except for the occasional traffic. Everyone I passed was at a similar mindset. We had it on cruise control and were just trying to finish out the race without making any heat induced mistakes.

77307801-IMGL9008.JPG

Near the end of the lap I thought I was making progress on catching first. I thought “finally, this guy popped”. I turned it up knowing it was almost over. As I came into the S/F straight away I saw him, so I locked out my suspension, stood, and began to get the cadence up to max, shift, wind out, shift, wind out, shift, etc. I was thinking “holy shit, a sprint finish 2 weeks in a row!”. I was making up the gap so fast, and I was sure I was going to win. With about 20 yards to go I pass him and that was when I realized it was NOT the guy I was racing. It was some Cat 2 racer warming up. Fuck…. Me….. I smacked my handlebars, crossed the finish, pulled over and collapsed. That huge fucking effort which practically killed me, was for nothing. I think I scared the shit out of the guy and he was wondering what the hell I was doing. Whatever. I was dying on the side of the course. It took a few minutes to catch my breath and HR to come down from the 190 it just hit.

2nd place is an solid finish. I should be happy, but I’ll have mixed emotions looking back at my first summer sizzler.

On the positive, I am be happy with a podium, especially in the MASS series. Good racers bust their asses and don’t sniff the podium.

On the negative, I would have liked to had the opportunity to race Mark the entire race. It would have been nice to know how that story ended. But that was out of my control, so I won’t dwell on it.

I also made a lot of mistakes which I can be mad at myself about, starting with the poor night’s sleep, to pre-race nutrition, to race strategy. I’m left wondering if I nailed those things, like I should, if I would have done a little better.

20180701_114547-ANIMATION.gif

20180703_142255.jpg

And now, here I am on Tuesday, still feeling a little off. A little bit of a fog, a little bit of a headache….. Hopefully it’s all in my head, and I just need a good night’s sleep which I haven’t had since last Friday.

To Be Continued….

Last edited:

ChrisG

Unapologetic Lifer for Rock and Roll
Good work man, you're having a great year.

The combination of early start, long drive, and forecasted heat was enough to get me to bail, but I was definitely unhappy about it.

Top Bottom