Jshort’s bike thread

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
huh, i had no idea you had never tried a crit. You didnt fall off the back or crash so thats a successful first day.

Anytime an MTBNJ jersey is on TV im happy, well done!

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
11. I'll still do another. Soon.
What are some good ones to try? I've been wanting to jump into one or two this year as well, or try a crit. I was thinking about Somerville, but it was kind of far and too short for the drive down. I kind of want to do this this weekend.

ChrisG

Unapologetic Lifer for Rock and Roll
I kind of want to do this this weekend.
The Central Park races can get a little nutty. All of the fields are on the course at the same time, doing different numbers of laps at different paces, along with breakaways to add to the chaos.

If the training series at Sussex is still happening, that would be my recommendation for dipping your toe in the pool.

ChrisG

Unapologetic Lifer for Rock and Roll
1. First and foremost, It was fun.

2. You need a few before you know what's going on. I didn't have a good feel for where I was in the pack at any given time. I guess the general idea is to stay right behind the very front of the pack. But this is much easier said than done.

3. You really need to stay near the front

4. I didn't have any sketchy moments. People seemed to hold their lines pretty well in the turns. This is probably a rarity, or I was able to maneuver any potential issues.

5. People are REALLY slow in the turns. Maybe because I was in the second half of the pack, but I had to nail the gas coming out of every turn. I was worried my conti 4 seasons would suck but man these guys went slow though the turns.

6. You can be overweight and be competitive at cat 4/5 crits. Lots of big guys to hide behind.

7. 30 minutes is a really, really short race. When I was done I rolled up to my dad and sister. They both commented that I seemed a lot less tired than after a MTB race. I hardly broke a sweat. It literally took me longer to pin my numbers to my jersey.

8. I probably saved something for a moment that never happened. I regret not attacking at least once and making people chase me down.

9. I finished near the end of the pack but only because once I realized i missed the part where everyone takes off, there was no point. Knowing when to be aggressive would have been helpful. I'm definitely strong enough to be in the top of a 4/5 race, but need some experience before that happens.

10. The next one I do will be a total letdown because it won't be "The Tour of Somerville.

11. I'll still do another. Soon.
1. It's ridiculous fun. I haven't done a road race in several years (last one was the Cat 3 race at Colts Neck, I think 2012) and I miss it all the time.

2. The art of staying at the front, but not being literally at the front, is vital. And not easy, as you note.

5. The closer you are to the front, the less you need to brake for the turns. The yo-yo effect gets pretty serious when you move to higher-category racing.

9. Being in the right place when the selection is happening is the biggest factor for success. When the train is leaving the station, there's not a lot of opportunity to get on if you're in the wrong position. And most of the people in the race are in the wrong position.

11. Glad it was a good first experience.

Rich W

My first road race

7. 30 minutes is a really, really short race. When I was done I rolled up to my dad and sister. They both commented that I seemed a lot less tired than after a MTB race. I hardly broke a sweat. It literally took me longer to pin my numbers to my jersey.

View attachment 69650

So, you spent 30+ minutes pinning numbers UPSIDE DOWN?!?!?!

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
So, you spent 30+ minutes pinning numbers UPSIDE DOWN?!?!?!

Funny. As I was standing around waiting for the Masters to wrap up, an official was like, hey dummy, your numbers are upside down! I asked him if it mattered and he said if I wanted the race to count, it did. I told him it took me half an hour! He said you better hurry up and fix it then.
The re-pinning only took 5 minutes once I had some practice.

I was waiting for someone to notice :)

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
All Cat 5 crits will be 30 minutes doe. bummer the HG A ride isn't around anymore, that was always the best drop group ride in the area to start dipping your toes into aggressive road environment.

It's still around. But not what it once was.

Good job getting famous @jShort

echappy

What are some good ones to try? I've been wanting to jump into one or two this year as well, or try a crit. I was thinking about Somerville, but it was kind of far and too short for the drive down. I kind of want to do this this weekend.
The Watermelon Crit is this weekend, I believe. Really well-run event, though the course was a bit bumpy the last time I did it.

The Jersey Devil is in early August (35 miles for cat-5), and it's probably the hilliest race within one hour of Central NJ. Also have fond memories of this race as well.

I've considered trying a time trial, but too skeered to try a crit
nothing wrong with that. I'm leaning toward MTB, as road racing seems riskier the older I get.

NJ has a lot of ITTs, and each has a EMX division, with a EMX division championship as well.

http://www.njbikeracing.com/wp/time-trial-cup/

https://www.bikereg.com/theeddy

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
The Jersey Devil is in early August (35 miles for cat-5), and it's probably the hilliest race within one hour of Central NJ. Also have fond memories of this race as well.
I did this one, since it is much less of a crit and much more of a circuit, i felt better about it. more about the climb instead of the fast cornering.

@rick43284382048302, you should look into doing that as well. its in your backyard!

rick81721

Lothar
I did this one, since it is much less of a crit and much more of a circuit, i felt better about it. more about the climb instead of the fast cornering.

@rick43284382048302, you should look into doing that as well. its in your backyard!

Is that the one where they go up dutchtown-zion and loop around sunset?

echappy

Is that the one where they go up dutchtown-zion and loop around sunset?

up Grandview and down Dutchtown. Segment (actually created by yours truly) here

the descent can be a bit gnarly within a group, due to a few blind corners, but it gets better once you've been down it a few times. I hit 48-49 on it. Thankfully, it has smooth tarmac (or it did when I raced it in 2016).

rick81721

Lothar
up Grandview and down Dutchtown. Segment (actually created by yours truly) here

the descent can be a bit gnarly within a group, due to a few blind corners, but it gets better once you've been down it a few times. I hit 48-49 on it. Thankfully, it has smooth tarmac (or it did when I raced it in 2016).

Ha that's the easy way. I go down dutch zion all the time, but can never hit anything higher than 42 mph. They repaved the top a year or 2 ago, it's perfect now... bottom not so much.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Ha that's the easy way. I go down dutch zion all the time, but can never hit anything higher than 42 mph. They repaved the top a year or 2 ago, it's perfect now... bottom not so much.
100 percent different with a group

Top Bottom