Jshort’s bike thread

Does it prevent post-race headaches. PM plz.
i went through the post race headaches a couple years ago, but i cant remember the last time i had one. i ate betterer (granted this was when i had 64 oz of soda a day and ate fast food all the time) and it went away. i most certainly do not have pre/post race nutrition dialed in though.

ken special = red bull and snickers? I remember that one time @soulchild was hopped up on it and took the holeshot at nittany but then took a dirt nap in the second corner? its a dangerous recipe in the hand of amateurs

LOLs! I was always hopped up on that 'Ken special' concoction of caffeine, sucrose, glucose, corn syrup, maltodextrin, hydrogenated soybean oil, peanuts, and a bunch of other shit you couldn't pay to to ingest anymore. I used to crash so hard I'd barely make it home awake some Sunday afternoons. Good times.

Does it prevent post-race headaches. PM plz.

Absolutely not.

LOLs! I was always hopped up on that 'Ken special' concoction of caffeine, sucrose, glucose, corn syrup, maltodextrin, hydrogenated soybean oil, peanuts, and a bunch of other shit you couldn't pay to to ingest anymore. I used to crash so hard I'd barely make it home awake some Sunday afternoons. Good times.

Absolutely not.
I think we have a problem here if this is distributed in needles

I'll do a quick race recap with a highlight on the bike.... hopefully tomorrow.

Until then... No more ugly helmet...
20180430_202622.jpg

quick recap of the Mooch race.

This was the thrid straight week with a race and the plan was to start feeling like I am an actual racer. The first 2 races were struggles. Bike handling was on point for the most part, but my conditioning was nowhere near what I want to be. Same reasons as everyone else, usual warmup races were all cancelled, weather was crappy, whatever, excuses are like assholes. My form wanst where I wanted it to be because I have not been pushing as hard as I should in workouts. There is a lot more to it than that, but some things arent for sharing.

For the Mooch race I pre rode the day before and was reassured I am very familiar with every rock on this course. Its a home course so to speak and it was a releif to go into a race loop with some familiarity.
IMG_20180421_184415_535.jpg

Pre reg numbers blew up the day before the race and the same 3 guys that finished in front of me at ringwood were registered for Mooch madness. At this point, my expectations are not what they were last year. Which is in itself a bit of a failure on my part, because I should be learning/improving and trying to exceed everyhting from last year, but i am where I am and perception is reality.

My plan for the Mooch race was to stick with the leaders as much as I could, rely on my familiarty of the loop and knowledge of the lines through tecnical areas to save some strengh for everywhere else. Then hopfully make a move near the end of the race if I was in position.
Like all plans, once you get punched in the face, they go out the window. Now, I really didint take a punch but my plan went to shit halfway though the first lap.

I was sitting in 4th of 5th as we got to the last climb before the long downhill. I got a litle too eager, my guts were bigger than my brains and I made a move. I jumped out front and bombed the shit out of the downhill. Dropper post dropped, head down, WFO. By the time i got to the pond, I had a decent gap. Going into the short track I kept pushing trying to expand, but I was losing ground to someone.
As soon as I started climbing the switch backs, the 18 year old who won ringwood (Zack) caught up and stuck to my tire.
The entire second lap he rode my wheel and followed my lines. Halfway through Lap 2, my calfs started showing signs of cramping which threw me off. Me and zack were all alone for the entire second lap that I could tell. Actually, we caught Dave Taylor who ended up sticking to us. I had the feeling like Zack could drop me whenever he wanted, mostly because he crushed it the week befotre and I was feeling the first laps effort.
Mooch Madness H2H 2018 410.jpg

Going into the 3rd lap I was kinda shot. My calfs were cramping up whenever i stood, which i had been doing alot more because of the dropper. Live and learn...live and learn. I waved zack by. He wasnt sure I was being genuine... I think he thought I would attack but whatever. I was in pain. He actually ate shit and went into the puddle after the single track follwoing the road climb. But he got up, passed me again and was out.
Dave Taylor who had been riding with us eventually went by me too and I was suddenly Solo. I made it all the way to first section of Short track when Dave Kahl and another guy passed me. At this point I was in full survivial mode and limped to the finish line without anyone else passing me.
IMG_9625.JPG

It wasnt until the results were posted that I found out that the guy with Kahl was in my class and I ended up in 3rd. I'll take it.

Looking back:
The 3 week stretch of races and workouts in between brought me back to where I feel like i'm actually gaining traction...the tires have stopped spinning, I grabbed the pavement, I'm making progress and moving forward. I still dont think I am where I want to be, but i am much better than I was in the first race in CT. I'm looking forward to way way, but not sure what to expect. Its a low pressure race because its almost twice as long as mooch, so I'm there to get a good workout, let it hang out, and see what I can do.
Mooch Madness H2H 2018 409.jpg

Because Rick asked, the Turner Czar is awesonme. I really have not dialed it in as much as I need to. the rear suspension handled the big hits great, and it doesnt need to be locked out on the climbs. The small bumb compliance was pretty rough, and I felt every pebble which led me to think i needed to let air out of my tires. It turned out I just needed to adjust the open mode of on the fox shock. It was set to 3 which is firm and when i put it to 1 or 2 its much better. I'll adjust it based on terrain, but this is the stuff you need to go though to be able to dial it in ondemand as needed. If you are just a set it and forget type, you're not getting the most out of your bike.
The Fox step cast is super light, but unless you're racing its a little too noodly. If I wasnt racing, I would throw on a 120 mm Fox 34 and it would crush rocky stuff and still be XC raceable. You really cant find a DW Link bike for the price of this bike. Turner is direct to customer, so they may save a little $ somewhere in there.
I would recommend it for sure.

My first road race

A. I signed up on a whim. Someone on my Facebook feed posted that they they actually had a 4/5 class in Somerville. Having NEVER done a road race I was interested. And I had a few beers in me so I was all in. Apparently drunk bike race registering IS a thing.

1. First and foremost, It was fun.

2. You need a few before you know what's going on. I didn't have a good feel for where I was in the pack at any given time. I guess the general idea is to stay right behind the very front of the pack. But this is much easier said than done.

3. You really need to stay near the front

4. I didn't have any sketchy moments. People seemed to hold their lines pretty well in the turns. This is probably a rarity, or I was able to maneuver any potential issues.

5. People are REALLY slow in the turns. Maybe because I was in the second half of the pack, but I had to nail the gas coming out of every turn. I was worried my conti 4 seasons would suck but man these guys went slow though the turns.

6. You can be overweight and be competitive at cat 4/5 crits. Lots of big guys to hide behind.

7. 30 minutes is a really, really short race. When I was done I rolled up to my dad and sister. They both commented that I seemed a lot less tired than after a MTB race. I hardly broke a sweat. It literally took me longer to pin my numbers to my jersey.

8. I probably saved something for a moment that never happened. I regret not attacking at least once and making people chase me down.

9. I finished near the end of the pack but only because once I realized i missed the part where everyone takes off, there was no point. Knowing when to be aggressive would have been helpful. I'm definitely strong enough to be in the top of a 4/5 race, but need some experience before that happens.

10. The next one I do will be a total letdown because it won't be "The Tour of Somerville.

11. I'll still do another. Soon.

20180528_094549.jpg

Back
Top Bottom