Jshort’s bike thread

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
running compact, mid, or std up front?

i was feeling strong a few years ago and switched to mid, but i feel that was a mistake (for me obviously)
what i did feel is that i was running a straighter chain line most of the time.

Compact.

I've been living with it, and I could continue to live with it, but some days I just want to take it super easy. Like yesterday I'm trying to spin up a hill but even in the lowest gear I'm consistently over 350w. That's ok for a little, but after a while that makes the ride become anything but super easy.

One of the hardest things for me to grasp is having the will power to slow it down. If I'm not paying attention, I start pushing harder and harder. Next thing I know I'm about to pop on a recovery day.

/Rant

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Compact.

I've been living with it, and I could continue to live with it, but some days I just want to take it super easy. Like yesterday I'm trying to spin up a hill but even in the lowest gear I'm consistently over 350w. That's ok for a little, but after a while that makes the ride become anything but super easy.

One of the hardest things for me to grasp is having the will power to slow it down. If I'm not paying attention, I start pushing harder and harder. Next thing I know I'm about to pop on a recovery day.

/Rant
I have the 30t ultegra and it was definitely a good choice. I don’t see the downside unless people really want 1 tooth shifts. But now I have 2 teeth lower than the 27 to stay in the 50.

Coincidently, I am spinning more than ever and oddly enough, it is because of the 30 on the mtb. On the road I am now climbing around 85-90 where before I was between 70-80. However, if I want to get out of the saddle, downshifting is a must. Where at 70-80 you can spin up to 90-100. When you already at 90, spinning up to 100-110 out of the saddle is awkward for me.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
I have the 30t ultegra and it was definitely a good choice. I don’t see the downside unless people really want 1 tooth shifts. But now I have 2 teeth lower than the 27 to stay in the 50.

Coincidently, I am spinning more than ever and oddly enough, it is because of the 30 on the mtb. On the road I am now climbing around 85-90 where before I was between 70-80. However, if I want to get out of the saddle, downshifting is a must. Where at 70-80 you can spin up to 90-100. When you already at 90, spinning up to 100-110 out of the saddle is awkward for me.

why? the cross chaining wears the crap out of everything..
there is a 2-3 cog difference between front rings. the straighter chainline doesn't suck power.
as an aside, i think this is where e-shifting shines. makes it easy.

i thought you went farther the other way in a standing climb. putting 400w+ into the system meant lowering the cadence.
Teach me here - am i wrong ??? don't want to make it a power and aerobic thing at the same time.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
why? the cross chaining wears the crap out of everything..
there is a 2-3 cog difference between front rings. the straighter chainline doesn't suck power.
as an aside, i think this is where e-shifting shines. makes it easy.
i thought you went farther the other way in a standing climb. putting 400w+ into the system meant lowering the cadence.
Teach me here - am i wrong ??? don't want to make it a power and aerobic thing at the same time.
I’m not sure where I mention cross chaining but I cross chain like a MFer.

That’s what I am saying, when you are already at 90-100, you have to drop down the cassette further to get that lower cadence that feels right for standing. Where when you are at 70-80 in your 28 you can stand and maybe not even shift when it gets steep.

Maybe I am not explaining what I am
Feeling right.

Patrick

Staff member
I’m not sure where I mention cross chaining but I cross chain like a MFer.

That’s what I am saying, when you are already at 90-100, you have to drop down the cassette further to get that lower cadence that feels right for standing. Where when you are at 70-80 in your 28 you can stand and maybe not even shift when it gets steep.

Maybe I am not explaining what I am
Feeling right.

i read that you could stay in the 50 longer....
maybe before putting the power in?

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
i read that you could stay in the 50 longer....
maybe before putting the power in?
In the majority of stuff I ride, I rarely leave the 50, but that was with the 28 also. There are maybe 3 places in the sourlands for below 50, Spring Hill headed north, Amwell kicker, maybe star gazer or whatever that OnB is over by east mountain.

In jermey’s area I would be hitting the 34 more often for sure.

Patrick

Staff member
In the majority of stuff I ride, I rarely leave the 50, but that was with the 28 also. There are maybe 3 places in the sourlands for below 50, Spring Hill headed north, Amwell kicker, maybe star gazer or whatever that OnB is over by east mountain.

In jermey’s area I would be hitting the 34 more often for sure.

Seems like a he-man thing. Deciding not to use the small ring even if more efficient

Run 1x save the weight and optimize the chain line then.

rick81721

Lothar

Wait what you guys were blowing me shit when I went to an 11-28 cassette and now people are at 30 - 32?

I'm pretty much always in the 50 ring around here. North jersey different story

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Seems like a he-man thing. Deciding not to use the small ring even if more efficient

Run 1x save the weight and optimize the chain line then.
He-man when pushing a 90-100 cadence? It isn’t he-man, it just isn’t needed in your area when you run a 50. Sourlands aren’t steep and made for spinners.

I rode 1x on my voodoo for awhile and the trade off in the high end was noticible. However that was before bigger cassettes where you can run a bigger front ring.

StayHydrated

Swedish Chef

MarcGasch_3TABS_171017__DSC0506_NEW.jpg

https://www.aquabluesport.com/blog/larry-warbasse-3T-strada-walkthrough.html

So dope.

jShort

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Question: So, the "offseason" is officially over. Where would you say you are at in regards to current fitness?
Answer: I started doing a structured workouts in mid Jan. I had a good 6 weeks of training and then the bottom kind of fell out. My kids brought bug after bug home and I went through a really rough stretch starting at the end of February. I remember the exact ride actually when it hit me. I got caught in the rain and by the time i got home both legs were cramping. I felt sick for 2 straight days after that ride, my resting HR was way up, and i got winded walking up stairs. It took some time to get back on the trainer and even when I did i could hardly finish the workouts. A couple I just abandoned half way. Then just when I stated feeling OK, a new germ would invade the house. It was frustrating to say to least.

Question: Wow, cry me a river. Everyone deals with this shit. When did you stop feeling sorry for yourself and get your act together?
Answer: A, fuck off. B, I stated coming around about 2 weeks ago. I noticed I was starting to get a little stronger on my MTB loops, and the prescribed intervals on trainer became a little more manageable. I still don’t think I am anywhere near where I should be, but I’m on the up and up. I am not sure if all of these cancelled races were a blessing or a disguise. In one sense, i really like the short track races because they prepare you for that zero to 100, immediate max effort. By the 3rd short track race I really feel like I can have a strong start and maintain that effort, until I have a chance to settle down. I definitely missed that this past weekend at the Hop Brook race.

Question: Speaking of which, how was the race?
Answer: It went about as well as I could expect. I had the usual first race of the year nerves. I didn’t eat great the days leading up to the race. Not that I ate badly, but I didn’t eat enough because i feel like I need to lose a few lbs.
The day of was a blur. I struggled with my pre-race routine and nutrition. I was the guy everyone was waiting on to go pre ride the course... That was another side effect of missing the ST races, they really let you dial in your rituals before it’s “for real”.

Question: And the actual race?
Answer: I lined up in the second row, not that it made a difference. I felt ok off the line and was able to move up a few spots in the grass section before we got to the singletrack. I was probably 15h (out of 22 starters) going into the woods and of course the inevitable "a little rock step up causes the cat 1 guys to dismount" happens. I guess people are right on each other’s ass and someone grabs too much brake and it fucks everyone else up. By the time I got going again the leaders were so far away I knew that train was gone.
I stuck in the group of 4 or 5 and picked a few guys off when the opportunity presented itself, but my HR was all over the place. Every effort caused it to spike way up, but as soon as i could coast and recover, it would drop way off. Not ideal, because getting it going again seemed to take a lot out of me.
I knew I had no top end so I tried to ride as conservative as possible. Even with that mindset I questioned if I would make through 3 (much less the scheduled 4 laps) of the race.
First lap came and went in 25 minutes and change. It was a super-hot lap and I knew I couldn’t do it again. I found myself behind a Pawling guy. He seemed to be keeping a good pace with which i could hang. I stuck on his wheel for the entire second lap but as we crossed the S/F line I was having a harder time keeping pace.
A few minutes into the 3rd lap and I was solo. This was the lull, the dark place where I begin questioning why I do this. Every hill is a mind fuck, every rock seems like it punches my wheels my when I ride over it, every downhill seems like it’s going to make my bike rattle to pieces. It’s such a struggle that I start slowing down without recovering. It’s not the summer zombie mode, but more of the "I was not prepared for this” mode.
But then I came into the 4th lap and I kind of snapped out of it.
The 4th lap didn’t hurt any less but I could see the light at the end of the tunnel. I had a good feel for the course and I could mentally prepare a little better. My 4th split didn’t fall off as much as it did from 2-3. I didn’t feel any better, but I wanted to it to end and I didn’t want to lose any more spots. The little bit of pride remaining from my last race (top of the podium at bubble cross) kicked in a little.
I could see a few riders catching up so busted my ass to keep them from getting close enough. I didn’t want to even think about having to sprint. There is a road section right before the last bit of singletrack and if there was to be a pass, it would have to happen there. Once off the road, it’s pretty tight to the end.
So when I saw the baby blue kit of the guy chasing me, I dropped the hammer as much as i could. At this point of was more of a teeny tiny hammer, or maybe a rubber mallet, but I fucking dropped it. Locked out, stood up, and mashed it.
When I finally looked back the coast was totally clear. Good because I was about to cry from the pain and didn’t want anyone to see me.
I crossed the line in 10th. I told @Kirt i would be happy with a top 10, but that was a lie. I wanted to do better. It’s frustrating as fuck to not even be able to contend for a top spot. On the bright side it is very motivating. Ringwood and Mooch are the next 2 races and i don’t expect to regain top form for either, but it should serve as a good block for what comes next.

Oh, and no pictures. Suck it!

Patrick

Staff member
I like this interviewer, no fluff questions. maybe a podcast is in the works....

Delish

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Nice recap and good job getting out there despite being <100%. The constant sickness thing describes my 2017 exactly. Flthy litte germ machines, these children. Once you hit a healthy stretch and get a week or two of good training in to re-sharpen the axe you'll be flying again. In my expereince, the fitness comes back quickly with all that winter basework already in the books.

jShort

Team MTBNJ Halter's
In my expereince, the fitness comes back quickly with all that winter basework already in the books.

I hope you're right! I don't know if I got a big enough of a block in, but I'm about to find out.

jShort

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Question: Does it bother you that I brought my laptop into the bathroom and read this on the crapper?

Question: How does it feel to beat Dan Larino?

I appreciate anyone reading this blabbering anywhere. Who am I to say you can't read on the crapper. But who uses a laptop in the crapper?

And for Dan, the obvious answer is that it'd be a lot cooler (and unlikely) to beat him in October.

Top Bottom