I can't believe I just said that

rlb

This is a place dedicated to those cringe-worthy moments that happened last week, last month, or 12 years ago that still make you uncomfortable to this day. I'll start, because this one just happened and I can't stop kicking myself...

I noticed my boss wasn't online around 8 am, which is unusual since we all start ~ 7am most days. I see he doesn't have any meetings, so it's an odd situation because he'd usually give a heads up if something was going on. Later in the day he calls my cell phone (instead of my office line) and I fail to take note of what number he was calling from, my brain just decided he was calling from his cell. My knee-jerk assessment based on all of these facts is that he's not at work.

I answer:

Me: What's up?
Boss: Guess what's back?
Me: Your insert name of medical condition?
Boss: ......Um, project XYZ (which had been dead for > 1 year)
Me: explaining my above assessments
Boss: Nope, skype updated and I couldn't get logged in for some reason

From the outside, I think its actually a funny story, and it's not a big deal because we are all laid back and casual. However I'm not forgiving myself for this one any time soon!

I still sometimes cringe about something I said when I was six years old at a birthday party. I read this article a year ago and try my best to follow the advice given.

Reactions: rlb
This is a place dedicated to those cringe-worthy moments that happened last week, last month, or 12 years ago that still make you uncomfortable to this day. I'll start, because this one just happened and I can't stop kicking myself...

I noticed my boss wasn't online around 8 am, which is unusual since we all start ~ 7am most days. I see he doesn't have any meetings, so it's an odd situation because he'd usually give a heads up if something was going on. Later in the day he calls my cell phone (instead of my office line) and I fail to take note of what number he was calling from, my brain just decided he was calling from his cell. My knee-jerk assessment based on all of these facts is that he's not at work.

I answer:

Me: What's up?
Boss: Guess what's back?
Me: Your insert name of medical condition?
Boss: ......Um, project XYZ (which had been dead for > 1 year)
Me: explaining my above assessments
Boss: Nope, skype updated and I couldn't get logged in for some reason

From the outside, I think its actually a funny story, and it's not a big deal because we are all laid back and casual. However I'm not forgiving myself for this one any time soon!

I couldn't get past the point that you start work at 7am!

Wait, your still buying the consultant billing time line? That is cringe worthy.

I have forgotten more cringe worthy stuff I have said than I can remember.

NOTE: Cringe worthy stuff said to millennials is bad for your career.

I kinda snipped at my kid a couple days back. He was trying to pour coffee out of a cup into a travel mug over some paperwork (which was not critical). Wasn't doing a good job.

I should have just asked him how he was going to do it next time rather than barking at him to do it over the sink.

I try not to do this, but it creeps in every so often.

He got me back last night by trying to puke in the kitchen garbage can at 2am and mostly missing.

A few years back a friend of mine was back visiting his hometown area. We hung out with two of his female cousins, one who I was friends with and other I just met. The cousin I didn’t know was very pretty, and every once in a while her voice would go funny, like maybe she had a speech impediment. I never quite understood what was going on. Next day he called me and I asked what was up with his cousins voice, but probably in a blunt guy to guy fashion. I then hear scrambling and muffled noises, and then I hear, “dude your on speakerphone, she’s in the car”. D’oh! (To be fair, he should have told me I was on speaker, but I should have been more sensitive.)

NOTE: Cringe worthy stuff said to millennials is bad for your career.

I need a head doctor after reading this. You offended me, lol.

I kinda snipped at my kid a couple days back. He was trying to pour coffee out of a cup into a travel mug over some paperwork (which was not critical). Wasn't doing a good job.

I should have just asked him how he was going to do it next time rather than barking at him to do it over the sink.

Isn’t it strange how tough we can be on the ones we love the most. Specifically about the silliest things. No doubt about it, it’s huge opportunity for me. I forget how I was when I was my kids age. Sloppy and clueless to anything beyond my own nose.

I try not to do this, but it creeps in every so often.

He got me back last night by trying to puke in the kitchen garbage can at 2am and mostly missing.

Your kid was drinking that heavily on a Monday night?

Kids these day need some leeway to make little mistakes, so they don't make big ones later, that includes some foot in mouth moments.

I couldn't get past the point that you start work at 7am!

If you have flex time, starting work at 7 is the poop. I'm rolling out the door before most and - more importantly - I never have to be the pathetic shitsack who is the 300th person to an office building with only 299 parking spots. In fact, because I am a complete dick who feeds his soul on schadenfreude, I love to go to the indoor cafe on site with a view of the overflow parking lot at 9:15 am on rainy days and sit with my beverage and watch some poor bastard sprint through the pouring rain from the far spot.

As far as cringe-worthy things I say, the fact that I can't think of any makes me believe I probably say a lot of them and lack the basic social grace necessary to realize it.

If you have flex time, starting work at 7 is the poop. I'm rolling out the door before most and - more importantly - I never have to be the pathetic shitsack who is the 300th person to an office building with only 299 parking spots. In fact, because I am a complete dick who feeds his soul on schadenfreude, I love to go to the indoor cafe on site with a view of the overflow parking lot at 9:15 am on rainy days and sit with my beverage and watch some poor bastard sprint through the pouring rain from the far spot.

As far as cringe-worthy things I say, the fact that I can't think of any makes me believe I probably say a lot of them and lack the basic social grace necessary to realize it.

@rick81721 is retired.

Doubt any of this makes sense to em. He makes his own flex time.

@rick81721 is retired.

Doubt any of this makes sense to em. He makes his own flex time.

The "r" word ... I can only speak that word in hushed whispers, and every time I do, my lower lip quivers. For the past 20+ years, my only work aspiration has been to achieve r-word status ... indeed, all of my career ambitions begin and end with my career ending. In my world, @rick81721 is like a Buddha, or maybe an especially violent and fearsome drug kingpin -- someone who has achieved the level that everyone beneath him aspires to.

Your kid was drinking that heavily on a Monday night?

Kids these day need some leeway to make little mistakes, so they don't make big ones later, that includes some foot in mouth moments.

agree - i totally blew it. what is a little spilled coffee on granite in the big picture. When did he ever do this task before? (never)

now if he puts his finger through the hole of a bagel to hold it while cutting.....

agree - i totally blew it. what is a little spilled coffee on granite in the big picture. When did he ever do this task before? (never)

now if he puts his finger through the hole of a bagel to hold it while cutting.....

Big picture, your reaction was simply human.

Now drinking till you puke, its an awesome life lesson to learn early. I did it when I was younger (in a major way), and haven't consumed alcohol to the point of puking since. Came close a few times, but always pulled the plug before I was past the point of no return.

Back
Top Bottom