I am a transgender woman and I occasionally race my bike. AMA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Juggernaut

Master of the Metaphor
Sooo, a theoretical question.

Removing all parties from the discussion (not literally). If a transgender athlete (was an F now a M) wanted to participate in an Olympic sport, say archery (I want to eliminate all the usual arguments). If all the criteria was met. Would anyone give it a second thought?

In my fantasy scenario, the media would simply report, not opine or capitalize / sensationalize. Did I not say fantasy? ;)

MikeyBikey2000

i think @Norm should ban you for the day for just being stupid.

Morgan is doing something awesome here and opening herself up for a legit serious discussion on transgender athletes. DON'T SHIT ON THAT.

Not shitting on at all, I just hate to see people divided like this. I think you completely misinterpreted what I was doing but whatevs. Have me banned.

Fat Trout

Sooo, a theoretical question.

Removing all parties from the discussion (not literally). If a transgender athlete (was an F now a M) wanted to participate in an Olympic sport, say archery (I want to eliminate all the usual arguments). If all the criteria was met. Would anyone give it a second thought?

In my fantasy scenario, the media would simply report, not opine or capitalize / sensationalize. Did I not say fantasy? ;)

If legal it shouldn't have to be something given a second thought. The media doesn't like this however and some (not all) of the people in question don't like that either.

I ride my bike because when I'm doing it I don't have to think about the issues of the world.

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.

Yeah, but clickbait. Let's be 100% honest here, not one of us can name a single other women's world champion. If nothing else this whole ordeal has brought women's cycling into the limelight.

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
Current or former?
Marianne Vos
Pauline Ferrand-Prevot

So between all of us we came up with 5 names across how many disciplines? You all get my drift. If the media just posts "woman name here" won an age group track cycling World Championship about 100 people from around the world might like the Facebook post at best. This is drawing legitimate world wide attention like no other women's race has and that's a good thing no matter what anyone's bias may be.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Or Jolanda Neff, or Sanne Cant, or Rachel Atherton. I will admit to not following track cycling nearly as closely.
I get your point though Jim.
FWIW, we can’t name many men either, especially on the track.

But who can forget Anna Van Breggen (spelling doesnt count)

echappy

Yeah, but clickbait. Let's be 100% honest here, not one of us can name a single other women's world champion. If nothing else this whole ordeal has brought women's cycling into the limelight.
well, speak for yourself ;)

I'm primarily a road cyclist and have no idea who won what in CX and MTB (though Vos has won quite a few). I'll start the list from 2009, as that's when I got into cycling

2009, Guerdezo?
2010, Bronzini, in a sprint
2011, Bronizini again, in a sprint
2012, Vos breaks her duck of finish 5 ( or is it 6) straight steak knives at Worlds;
2013, Vos solo over Johanssen and Ratto. Bonus apperance by Jolanda Neff, who overcooks a right turn and tries to remount, just in time for the pack to bear down. Vos somehow deftly avoids Neff
2014, PFP in a small sprint over Brennauer and Bronzini
2015, Armistead in a small sprint over Anna VdB and Guarnier (I was watching near the finish)
2016, Diedrikson over I don't know who else. Boring race in the desert
2017, Chantal Blaak solos it. Can't remember the other podium finisher
2018, Anna VdB smashes it, over Spratt and I think Guerdezo
Bonuses: Vos over Armitstead and Zeblenskaya in 2012; Anna VdB over Johanssen and Longo-Borghini in 2016

No idea about the ITT winners, though I want to say, Pooley in 2010, Van Dijk in 2012 and 2013, Brennauer in 2014, Armstrong in 2015, Neben in 2016, Vleuten in 2017 and 2018

Tim

aka sptimmy43
Ok, back on topic.

Morgan, my question is:

Can you see how or why cisgender women who are supportive of transgender individuals may feel genuinely diminished by a transgender woman winning an athletic competition against cisgender women?

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Nothing to do with Morgan's post, however I assume she's interested just as any other people...

VeloNews Podcast 110 has a lengthy interview with Rachel McKinnon. While I may disagree with her on a couple of her points, it's nice to hear her talk about it at length as opposed to quick sound bites.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom