hydraulic disc brake upgrade...any suggestions

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
how do you know a take off from the real thing

Take off is just a term for new or slightly used. I wouldn't use that as a search criteria, but yes those that you posted fit the bill.
I bet you could find cheaper than that though.

Also, keep in mind the hose length. If you have an XL bike and you buy some brakes from someone who had them on a small, the hoses may not be long enough. This is usually but limited to the rear brake.
It's worth it to take your brakes off and measure the hoses and make sure what ever you decide on are long enough.

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
If you need more stopping power, a bigger rotor makes a big difference and is usually a cheaper option.
This. I remember it made a HUGE difference when I still had mechanical brakes. I went from 160 to 180 and front and rear and some new metallic pads and I could actually stop.

pygmypony

Take off is just a term for new or slightly used. I wouldn't use that as a search criteria, but yes those that you posted fit the bill.
I bet you could find cheaper than that though.

Also, keep in mind the hose length. If you have an XL bike and you buy some brakes from someone who had them on a small, the hoses may not be long enough. This is usually but limited to the rear brake.
It's worth it to take your brakes off and measure the hoses and make sure what ever you decide on are long enough.
got it...thanks for all of the input so far guys! i already feel like i have so much more to go on...here are my learning points that i didn't have any clue of about 2 hours ago:

* 4 pistons vs 2 pistons
* mineral oil vs DOT 5.1
* size matters (hose length, at least - and rotor size!)
* try ebay...and take-off does not equal knock-off!

thanks again!

qclabrat

I see take offs for 2016 and 2017 Guide models, didn't SRAM have a major spec change in there?

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
a little pricey...$185 x 2 = $370, plus maybe another $100 for rotors...getting into N+1 territory!
http://www.jensonusa.com/Hope-Tech-3-X2-Disc-Brake/

also, i hadn't even thought of brake fluid type as a consideration...i had no idea that was even a thing...a quick google search turned up this articlewhich is seems pretty detailed...looks like the main downside of mineral oil is the cost, and the potential for water pooling in the caliper...

expensive yes - but they move from bike to bike!!!

and you did say upgrade :D

Danimal

definitely not catastrophic - slow to return in hot temperature : http://forums.mtbr.com/brake-time/sram-guide-rsc-lever-sticky-slow-return-989324.html
At JORBAfest some dude walked up to my bike and starting grabbing my levers. I was pretty confused... Asked if the bike was mine, said yes. He said your levers feel like shit! They were slightly slow to return but nothing out of the ordinary. Long story short, the dude was from SRAM and they were walking around checking peoples Guides and replacing Guide levers for free if they felt like poo. Talk about great service! I like my Guide R's much more than the XT's

Xler8

I'll throw in another +1 for Hope brakes. Not the cheapest option, but like they say you get what you pay for. It's hard to pin point exactly what separates them from SRAM and Shimano. They just feel better IMHO and are a little easier to work on.

Only other brand which I've yet to try is TRP. Maybe someone here has and can comment on them.

jShort

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I used to be all in on Hopes. But they lasted so long, when I tried something different, the industry must have made some advancements because both Shimano and SRAMs were better than my Hope Race X2s. Same with the Tech X2s I had.

I'd like to try a modern version of the Race X2s but looking at them online they don't seem like they changed at all.

I'm sure they're great brakes, but I'm not sure they're worth the premium they charge.

JDurk

Only other brand which I've yet to try is TRP. Maybe someone here has and can comment on them.

Can't comment on use of TRP, but I got a good look at some at TSEpic last year. Seem to be well made.

And then there's this from the TRP FB post.
We are pleased to confirm our new and extended sponsorships of TRP talent for 2018:
This season shall see the likes of Brendan Fairclough, Gaetan Vigé and Claudio Caluori joining the TRP family through our support of the Scott-Velosolutions team. While Matt Jones, Luca Cometti, Cedric Gracia, Jordi Bago and Justin Lindine all make the move to TRP for 2018 as sponsored riders.
Continuing to enjoy the ride with us for another year are Aaron Gwin, Rémy Métailler, Neko Mulally and Angel Suárez Alonso.
We cannot wait to see all our riders in action and wish them all the best in pursuit of their ambitions for 2018.

qclabrat

I used to be all in on Hopes. But they lasted so long, when I tried something different, the industry must have made some advancements because both Shimano and SRAMs were better than my Hope Race X2s. Same with the Tech X2s I had.

I'd like to try a modern version of the Race X2s but looking at them online they don't seem like they changed at all.

I'm sure they're great brakes, but I'm not sure they're worth the premium they charge.
how old were your Tech X2s?

soundz

The Hat
Team MTBNJ Halter's

because you haven't tried v4 or m4

jShort

Team MTBNJ Halter's
because you haven't tried v4 or m4

I had 4 Piston hopes way back. Im sure they were good but I was a shitty rider so I never really tested them.

I remember going down mountain Creek after a race and my Hope X2s were BURNING up. @pearl was my witness I believe

soundz

The Hat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I had 4 Piston hopes way back. Im sure they were good but I was a shitty rider so I never really tested them.

I remember going down mountain Creek after a race and my Hope X2s were BURNING up. @pearl was my witness I believe

Because you had 140mm rotor.

Actually when I bought the X2's from you, I wasn't too greatly impressed with the stopping power. I mean they were fine, but when I go on 8hr rides on a rigid bike, hand fatigue eventually becomes a factor. That's why I just got the V4's and I can't be happier. Other than stopping power, I feel they are just "smoother" to the touch (modulation? chatter?) than 2 piston brakes.

I use the X2 (front) on my polo bike now with 180mm rotor and it works fine for that.

Last edited:

Ian F

These guys get very little love on here but I've been using their stuff for years with no very few issues. Wood recommend.

https://www.ebay.com/p/Hayes-Prime-...r-and-Lever-Black/2255595286?iid=191876593410

(disclaimer - I ride for a club with an association with the Hayes group for a number of years now - I can get them for stupid cheap and have a number of sets)

Prime brakes are reliable, but I would not consider them very powerful. OK for general XC riding, but they have provided me with a few "oh sh1t!" moments over the years during descents along with a fair bit of arm-pump. I've been bugging them for a few years to release a proper gravity (4-piston) brake for enduro and DH use. An inside source hinted a year or so ago that we may see one, but I've seen nothing substantial yet. It's a shame since Hayes were THE brake to have for DH racing 15+ years ago. Amazingly, that same basic brake model is still in production.

Despite the significant cost difference to me, I run Shimano brakes. Saints on the DH bike (and will be getting Saints for the enduro bike) and XT brakes on the trail bikes. Simple. Reliable. Powerful. Parts available pretty much everywhere.

trener1

Just a word on the guides, I bought a new bike in the fall of 2016, came with the Guide's, a few months later I pulled up to a ride and the left brake just wasn't working, long story short they were those that were covred by the warranty, as soon as I took it into the shop, before the guy even looked at them he was like "oh those" yeah warranty, and it was catistrophic, I thin I had ridden them on a Wednesday and they were fine, and went to ride them on Sunday and no front brake, SRAM did replace em for free so there is that...

Top Bottom