Hunting facts for 6 mile:

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
Six Mile Run Reservoir Hunting Season:

Certain designated areas within Six Mile Run Reservoir are open for bow hunting for white-tailed deer. You can access the hunting map via this link:

http://www.state.nj.us/dep/parksandforests/parks/docs/DnR6MileRun_HuntingMap.pdf

Basics of the season:

The 2010-2011 bow hunting deer season takes place from September 11, 2010 to February 19, 2011.

There is no Shotgun, Muzzleloader or Six-Day Firearm Season within Six Mile Run.

Portable tree stands are allowed, but must be removed at the end of the day.

Hunting is permitted Monday through Saturday from ½ hour before sunrise to ½ hour after sunset.

NO HUNTING IS ALLOWED ON SUNDAY.

Parking is only allowed in designated areas.

To report any wildlife violators please call 609-735-8240 or 1-877-WARN DEP

Every day is fine. Just avoid wearing brown clothing and white gloves.

Every day is fine. Just avoid wearing brown clothing and white gloves.

met 2 hunters draging 2 doe out one seemed small at the 27 lot.. they looked delicous the deer that is..i asked them if i should be riding they said "no problem " glad i didn't wear my antler helmet yesterday

Thanks J,

I will be wearing very bright jersey, neon yellow can see it from space..

I spoke with the D&R parks Naturalist yesterday. She said the herd is way too big and that she is glad to see the deer population controlled.

Seems like fishing in a barrel to me but that is still fun.

Is it legal to shoot deer from the bike? Could make for a very fun ride! (My Southern roots are showing, I know.)

wow, i just saw this, after posting about possibly taking my kids here tomorrow...should i be worried? my youngest son loves to bike wearing his camoflogue shorts...

You should be fine. I rode Six Mile many times last year during hunting season without any issues, the hunters are usually pretty cool. Camoflouge shorts are probably fine, just make sure they are accompanied by a bright colored top. And if you are all sticking together its probably even better, I would think that the hunters would be able to differentiate between a herd of bikers and a herd of deer.

bow hunters dont have that much range and need to hit a deer in a much smaller target area than shotgun. They dont want to chase down a wounded deer either so they always have a good view of their target before release. The gun hunters take much more desperate shots by comparison to bow and can follow with a second shot quickly to take down a fleeing but wounded animal.

bow hunters dont have that much range and need to hit a deer in a much smaller target area than shotgun.

Yep. Effective kill-range for a bow is about 30 yards. I'd would bet any hunter would hear and see a biker long before they got that close, so nothing really to worry about.

White bike

All this talk about not wearing white...fine but my bike is white! Should I be worried?

This is good to know. I was riding there yesterday and had close encounters with about a half a dozen deer that nearly ran me over. They go so close I actually can smell them for the first time (they stink). As they were running along I hear what sounded like shot gun blasts and I was getting nervous. Not knowing the hunting schedule I thought for sure I was going to get hit given my proximity to the deer and despite my bright yellow jacket. Now I know they're not allowed to hunt on Sunday I feel safer but now I'm wondering what the blasts were.

Most of the hunters that I run into in any of the parking lots are friendlyish. It is a little distressing to see shotgun shells on the trail though. That's why I usually wear my bright florescent don't shoot me shirt:)

We are getting really close to hunting season. Just keep your head on out there.

Six Mile Run Reservoir Hunting Season:

NO HUNTING IS ALLOWED ON SUNDAY.

To report any wildlife violators please call 609-735-8240 or 1-877-WARN DEP

OK, so now that the boat is winterized in the yard, <sad> and my lame-ass fishin buddy is, well, lame-ass, what better thing to do than hit the trails again? Nice ride yesterday, early, ran in to @Arwen's Mom and dog,right in the beginning. Made the whole loop and heading back out red towards 27, this stumbling fool falls onto the trail from above and nearly impales himself on his own quiver of broadheads. WTF? Hunting is legal on Sunday? I think not. But wait, there's more... right behind him his dumass razor tip-toting buddy can't get down the hill to the trail either! I guess the morning blackberry was flowing, he nearly nicks me as I go by. Felt like stopping and beating both their asses with a stick. But I was nice.

Watch out assholes, if you're gonna poach at least stay sober. Consider yourselves reported.

I think this thread needs an update.
The way I interpret the rules, this is zone 14 and regulation set #8
In this years digest, Sunday Bow is legal.
Also realize that hunters are protected by law from any interference and this "interference" is broadly defined.

upload_2016-11-8_14-12-39.png

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions