Hunters at Stewart State Forest?

2Julianas

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Riding at Stewart today - bad idea? It's small game hunting season and the parking lots is full of trucks and hunters with shotguns and orange hats....

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Riding at Stewart today - bad idea? It's small game hunting season and the parking lots is full of trucks and hunters with shotguns and orange hats....
What time?:)

Stewart is legal to ride in at all times but the regular hunting season, that I believe starts Nov. 11th or so this year. During small game, bow, musket, and whatever other season, you can still ride. Just look where you're going and try not to dress in deer colors.

Edit: Nov. 19th-Dec. 11th

RSAmerica

I ride during hunting season. Just make sure you wear safety orange. Get a safety orange helmet cover and vest or t-shirt.

2Julianas

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Thanks everyone! While my kit does have some orange on it I chickened out and drove to ride Blue Mountain instead.

Ian F

Does NY allow hunting on Sunday? In PA, we avoid riding on Saturdays in some areas for that reason and go on Sunday when there's no hunting.

huffster

Yes, you can hunt on Sundays in NY. Here's a handy PDF of the dates/etc.

http://www.dec.ny.gov/docs/wildlife_pdf/huntseasons16.pdf

Stewart has unique rules that prohibit any other user group in the park during Regular Deer season (Nov 19 - Dec 11). You can actually get ticketed...or worse yet KILLED during those dates. It is heavily hunted during that timeframe. So, not worth it to even try riding around that rule.

Top Bottom