Huge Bear 10/8

BAIN

Took my cousin on a short hike yesterday from rock-rill to headley. On our way back between the trail head of stonegate and the cars we almost walked right into this big boy. He didn't really give two shits about us, but 15 feet is just a little too close for me.

Fogerson

Former Resident Nerd
Took my cousin on a short hike yesterday from rock-rill to headley. On our way back between the trail head of stonegate and the cars we almost walked right into this big boy. He didn't really give two shits about us, but 15 feet is just a little too close for me.

There are a few bruisers at MDR. There is a big boy I call "Clyde" who's den is near the top of Cascade....I think he eats 26ers :)

Stocky

We went through a few weeks where every ride we'd see a few bears . Mostly around the Cascade area and mostly cubs . Once with a mom , but no Clyde .
Haven't seen any in a while and never around Stone Gate .
Logged 3 hrs there yesterday . That's 3 mid week rides up there for me this week .
One more tomorrow if the stars align .

Tommyklein

I was riding this past sunday and finishing up at bottom of stone gate at dusk and I saw the biggest bear I've ever seen up close. I was hammering out on the fireroad toward rock rill doing about 20mph and I heard a noise and saw a big black thing out of the corner of my eye. I was going too fast to stop and by the time I saw him there was nothing I could do but put my head down, pedal faster, and hope he doesn't jump on me when I pass him. In a split second he jumped from the ground to 10ft up into a tree. I could hear his claws just dig in and shred the tree bark as I passed by. I'm just lucky it wasn't me that he clawed into. I knew he was very big just by what I saw out of the corner of my eye, but I had to look back once I got like 100ft past him and couldn't believe the size of this guy. I saw one in my neighborhood earlier this year around 500+lbs and this one looked bigger. I see bears all the time riding MD, but never this size. I had met a huge male around this time last season on stone gate that wouldn't move off of the trail. It took 15min for me to finally get by him. I wonder if this was the same guy and he put on some weight from last year.

Stocky

We always joke that you hear the deer , squirrells , chipmunks etc... But you never hear the bears.

We've been getting about 2-3 rides in a week at Mahlon for the last few months and lately we've seen nothing . Up there today , Pine Swamp , The Wall , Stone Gate etc... and nothing .....

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
I'm surprised no one has done this, so I'll do it.

Hey, I see huge bears all the time:D

200px-Gay_Bear_Mechanic.jpg

Love, Jim.

Tommyklein

Can't say I saw any bears that looked like that. If there's a "Clyde" out there than that was definitely him. I think his cousin lives in my neighborhood. This guy loves my neighbor's bird feeders. He rips them down and my dumbass neighbor puts them back up with duck tape. This happens weekly all summer long.

Attachments

• bear.jpg
    bear.jpg
    3.5 KB · Views: 300

HumanVise

Can't say I saw any bears that looked like that. If there's a "Clyde" out there than that was definitely him. I think his cousin lives in my neighborhood. This guy loves my neighbor's bird feeders. He rips them down and my dumbass neighbor puts them back up with duck tape. This happens weekly all summer long.

That's a big Bear Tommy! How's the knee? I'm guessing better since you are getting out!

Tommyklein

The knee is okay. Thanks for asking Pat. It's never gonna be great with the amount of cartilage damage I had, but I'm just happy to be able to get out and ride. You still tearing up phone books and doing shows? Maybe I'll see you at MD one of these days.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions