Huber and hartshorne are the most eroded they've ever been. What will the mcps do?

Huber and hartshorne are the most eroded they've ever been. So what will the mcps do about it?

• Get able-bodied professionals with power equipment to fix the trails

Votes: 1 3.7%
  • Re-route certain trails that are just waaaay beyond repair

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Partner with a capable knowledge dedicated organization like jorba to maintain trails properly

Votes: 7 25.9%
  • Send out a dozen 70 year old volunteers w/ hand tools, no direction and 3 hours

Votes: 19 70.4%

• Total voters

Mitch

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Nothing! As usual. As long as you can hike it they think it is just fine. They do not care at all about mountain bikers.

wonderturtle

Nothing! As usual. As long as you can hike it they think it is just fine. They do not care at all about mountain bikers.

100% dead on

But certain trails are dangerous to hike as well. ,opportunities for twisted ankles abound

And what about the horses? Surprised the horsey people aren't pissed. Or perhaps trails at huber that are closed to bikers but open to horses (go figure that logic) are just fine? Probably.

I am a rule follower. So I stay off the "off limits" trails at huber and hartshorne. But the neglect is so unbelievably profound it makes me think - screw it. If mcps isn't gonna keep up their part of the bargain I may as well ignore my obligations too (ie, obeying the trail rules) and just ride wherever the heck I want! seriously.

Even worse (since it affects public health).....

last time I went to Tatum, the ramnissen section of holmdel and Thompson they weren't mowing the field-edge trails!! With all of the tick-born diseases, they have an obligation to the public to keep those trails trimmed. But last time I went to each of those parks you're riding (or walking and/or walking your dog) through knee deep grass. That's far worse than the erosion at huber/ hartshorne. That's a public health problem.

Total neglect.

Screw mcps! They totally. F'ing . Suck.

Last edited:

jpn

It always amazes me that even though the govt consistently fails to do even a mediocre job at keeping it's promises on it's responsibilities like this (or road upkeep/repair) most people have no problem with giving the govt control over their health care.

Matt_

I Get Jokes
8e7.png

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
Nothing, but getting the full fire road kom a couple weeks back was the scariest thing I have done with the amount of erosion. Maybe I'll keep the fat bike.

Matt_

I Get Jokes
The said part is I emailed Tracy about JORBA and not even a reply.

Tracy & co seemed excited about the JORBA turnout at the training course held at Clayton a few months back that myself, @michael.su , and at least 4 other JORBA members attended. And some of the trainers were interested in our ideas/input for trail work. Seemed like there was definitely room for dialogue and a mutual interest to work together.

Karate Monkey

Tracy & co seemed excited about the JORBA turnout at the training course held at Clayton a few months back that myself, @michael.su , and at least 4 other JORBA members attended. And some of the trainers were interested in our ideas/input for trail work. Seemed like there was definitely room for dialogue and a mutual interest to work together.

Aye, I attended a training session recently, and there seems to be a misconception that we all enjoy the chunder.

That said, the ship for the "moderate" designation sailed a long time ago for Buttermilk Valley, what with the steps and big erosion over the root systems.

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
The
problem is it's now end of June with only one TM completed on one small section. Pointless.

The Kalmyk

Let the decision makers know you are unhappy and ask for improvements.
This won't work either. Who wants to sound like a whiny little beotch.

Take them out to a few dinners and let them read the menu right to left. Rub elbows with them- put their agenda before mountain biking and let the traction set in. Obviously the currency of time isn't working. Spend some money.

Last edited:

Frank

Sasquatch
Monmouth Cty. = Essex Cty. = Union Cty

JORBA has tried on many occasions to help, but was turned down......well there was one exception, they would gladly accept our tools. Sadly, the big wigs are concerned about job security more than trail conditions. That said, keep trying!!! One day they will tire get tired of the complaints and perhaps get off their butts!

SmooveP

MFing the MCPS on a public forum accomplishes nothing.

Let the decision makers know you are unhappy and ask for improvements.
And we need to show up for TM sessions. While I admit to missing a lot of sessions, I was the sole MTB'er at a few of them.

SmooveP

It always amazes me that even though the govt consistently fails to do even a mediocre job at keeping it's promises on it's responsibilities like this (or road upkeep/repair) most people have no problem with giving the govt control over their health care.
The public sector sucks, the private sector sucks. What do both have in common? Both are infested with people. Lazy, greedy, whiny, imperfect people.

wonderturtle

And we need to show up for TM sessions. While I admit to missing a lot of sessions, I was the sole MTB'er at a few of them.

I've been to a number of them and they just piss me off. There is no plan. They just send some folks in one direction and others in another direction. Since there is no plan they just "fix" the first thing they come across that appears to them to need fixing. Seen this every time I go. Knowing the trails I point out to them "you know there is a section right around the corner that is badly eroded" which usually gets ignored so they can fix the first non-problem they encountered.

Last two times I went I just went off on my own with a pair of hedge clippers and single handedly trimmed miles of trails. Since I only had 3 hours I was running between sections to trim back as much as I could in the little time we had.

But don't get me wrong - even though this might sound like a criticism of volunteers - it absolutely is NOT a criticism of the volunteers. After all how much progress can a 75 year old woman with clippers make in 3 hours?!? 100% of the criticism is towards the mcps that this is how they address trail maintenance,

But, hey, there's always a photo op at the end so they put on their website (or whatever) so can feel good about it.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions