Hub Suggestions

02camaro

I am looking to upgrade my hubs that came with my bike. I cant stand the low engagement and they do not get really stellar reviews. They are know for randomly exploding. The stock wheel set is DT Swiss m1900 spline with DT 370 hubs.

https://www.dtswiss.com/en/products/wheels-mtb/all-mountain/m-1900-spline/m-1900-spline-30/

I want to upgrade the hubs at the very least, I like high engagement and previously loved the hope hubs I had on my other bike, I am also interested in I9 too.

I know the factory wheels is 28 hole with strait pull spokes. Hope doesn't make a strait pull 28 hole boost hub, I9 doesn't make one either. So I would need to convert to j bend, buy all new spoke, pay to have the wheel built etc. At that point would it be worth it to just buy a whole new wheel set and keep the stock ones as spares? Or should i just buy the spokes and the hubs and keep the stock hoops? Or dare i say, build a set of China Carbon wheels with i9 hubs??

This complete wheel set caught my eye
http://www.jensonusa.com/Industry-Nine-Grade-29-Wheelset/

Thoughts, suggestions, destructive criticism welcome.

Last edited:

gtluke

The Moped
I9, I'm rolling on i9s from around 2010 and I've serviced them once.
I have the aluminum spokes version and I have broken 5-8 spokes in that time though.

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
Something new for me, I'm going to suggest a box carbon wheel. The Reserves by Santa Cruz. We just got a pile in. Build quality is top notch, lifetime warranty, and nearly indestructible. (See Danny Macacallacaskillz video)

02camaro

Something new for me, I'm going to suggest a box carbon wheel. The Reserves by Santa Cruz. We just got a pile in. Build quality is top notch, lifetime warranty, and nearly indestructible. (See Danny Macacallacaskillz video)

Unfortunately the reserves are about $600 out of budget for me.

The nextie premium with the i9 hubs, plus spokes and build cost i think will put me right in where my budget needs to be

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
i have always been all about engagement
hopes are complete garbage in fact those DT Swiss would be a much better choice
i have king hadley I9 and never serviced any of them for years
my next wheel lace will be onyx hubs because its all about the engagement!!!

Those Cruz rims are beast mode!

qclabrat

i have always been all about engagement
hopes are complete garbage in fact those DT Swiss would be a much better choice
i have king hadley I9 and never serviced any of them for years
my next wheel lace will be onyx hubs because its all about the engagement!!!

Those Cruz rims are beast mode!
i was going to ask about Hadleys for a next build after I learn to lace a set on Saint hubs
How they compare to Kings and I9s?
also any big differences lacing carbon vs AL rims?

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
Unfortunately the reserves are about $600 out of budget for me.

The nextie premium with the i9 hubs, plus spokes and build cost i think will put me right in where my budget needs to be

I have the Nexties in stock if you want to see them in real life.

ebineezer

If you are just looking for more engagement, you can possibly upgrade the star ratchet that DT Swiss offers.

That’s what I did.

02camaro

If you are just looking for more engagement, you can possibly upgrade the star ratchet that DT Swiss offers.

That’s what I did.
good idea, but i already looked into this. these hubs are DTs bottom barrel variety and do not use their signature star ratcheting system rather a conventional pawl design therefor non upgradable

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
I9s are great but if u change cogs or cassettes often go for steel freehub as the aluminum is way too soft and they get stuck on.

Ryan.P

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Dtswiss re hub for the win , you can find straight pull 240'S and 350's very cheap online

Mr.Moto

also any big differences lacing carbon vs AL rims?

From an amateur standpoint there is very little difference in lacing carbon vs. Al. I have found that carbon seems to snap into true very nicely. Maybe because of the stiffness of the carbon.

02camaro

i went through and ordered i9 hubs, its a real bugger finding a deal on those guys even with black friday sales going on. Seems like i9 has got their MAP pricing locked down tight. BUTTTT i did find a website willing to do 20% off
http://www.bikehubstore.com/Default.asp
got the pair for $460 shipped, should be here Tuesday.

i also have a few friends that want nextie rims so i emailed them and they are going to do a "group" price rate.

02camaro

A little update... Got my wheelset built. Nextie carbon blanks no decals, black Dt nipples and dt 2.0 spokes, turquoise i9s from and rear. Just got the tires mounted first ride is tomorrow. I already know I'm going to love them just running up and down the street.

For shits and giggles I weighed the rims + rim tape and valves. New set up weighs 1870g old dt Swiss m1900 2054g. So 184g or 6.5oz off the rims. The new rims are also 32 spoke compaired to 28. Overall I'm happy, I wasn't looking to save weight just get better hub engagement and I got both.
20180125_142413_HDR.jpg
20180125_142444_HDR.jpg
20180125_142435_HDR.jpg

Top Bottom