HPCX Saturday & Sunday - Live Photo Thread

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Thanks for the photos guys, next time someone complains about people riding MTB trails after a rainstorm, i'll be forwarding them this gallery of CX photos from an actual public park. So funny.
The courses designated for cx races are rented spaces that the person hosting the race pays for. The people who rent the space realize the grass is going to be destroyed and the cost associated with renting the property for the race accounts for re-grassing and grading. Sometimes there is an agreement that the race host will repair turf damage.
Also, the grounds where cx races are held make up a relatively small amount of open space on the property, which means that yes, while the damage is devastating to the grass, there are other sections of the park land/open space available for park users and or those seeking recreation.
I can see how some who look at these pics may see a disaster created by a cx race. Yes the grass is destroyed, however it can be repaired and will not require closing the entire park for others wishing to use it. The fact that land owners rent space out for cx races year after year is telling that this is a relationship that works and provides a quality of life for those who enjoy cx racing.
Hopefully fellow cyclists can understand this and be supportive of it, even if you don't enjoy cx.

DownhillR3

@pooriggy @Norm thanks for the detailed response. Appreciate the information. My comment was half serious, half not. A lot of generic riders in this area always snicker when it comes to damage caused by bikes after torrential rain/snow melt, so seeing these CX races just gave a solid laugh.

For those who don't know, I've been a race promoter in the past, both H2H and Pro-GRT / UCI Level. Not including the full-time trail building job had for 5 years. Totally get it from the promoter standpoint and was curious of the agreement with the parks about re-growing the vegetation. Glad to see the turn-out for CX is so big that it can cover the costs with the parks and still make ROI, a few of the CX pro's always try to get me to come compete, if someone has a bike they want to lend.. i'll giver her a go. :)

Last edited:

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
@pooriggy does that have something to do with why cx races are held this late in the year?
CX racing, from my understanding, was something road racers did at the end of road racing season to stay in shape in the off-season but as we know, cx is something that has morphed into a stand alone cycling competition.

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
few of the CX pro's always try to get me to come compete, if someone has a bike they want to lend.. i'll giver her a go. :)
Lol, you don't need a cx bike...just hop on a mtb and go nutz;)

Attachments

• 8662C17C-4DAE-4E76-9E26-A5C760AB5D5C.jpeg
    8662C17C-4DAE-4E76-9E26-A5C760AB5D5C.jpeg
    199.9 KB · Views: 89
Top Bottom