How would Sam do today?

NJ-XC-Justin

KY-DH-Freddy
Most of us are old enough to have watched Sam Hill in his prime which was a special thing. The incredibly casualness while going so much faster than nearly everyone was a mystery and a joy at the time (unless he was putting 8 seconds into your favorite rider). Have bruni/pierron/brosnan and the rest caught up and even surpassed him? With the better bikes I'm sure their times and speed are better, but all things equal would prime Sam win DH world cups today?

Most of us are old enough to have watched Sam Hill in his prime which was a special thing. The incredibly casualness while going so much faster than nearly everyone was a mystery and a joy at the time (unless he was putting 8 seconds into your favorite rider). Have bruni/pierron/brosnan and the rest caught up and even surpassed him? With the better bikes I'm sure their times and speed are better, but all things equal would prime Sam win DH world cups today?
Sitting this one down with popcorn at hand, I started watching/following DH racing only in the last few years after coming back to the sport, I never really saw Sam Hill racing other than in old videos and the awestruck narration of other riders. Great rider for sure.

Hard to say. The riders of today built upon the riding styles of the riders before them.

Of course, the exception to the rule is Greg Minnaar (who is 4 years older than Sam), who somehow managed to build upon the past as well as learn from the riders who came after him - and continues to win. And to some extent, Peaty before him.

Hard to say. The riders of today built upon the riding styles of the riders before them.

I admit its always tough seeing your heros get eclipsed in a sense. First gwin, and then the French riders each took things to the next evel. Training, intense focus, and amazing competition on top of evolution of bikes. Hell even just the clothing -- when you go back and watch races from 2008 they look comical in their baggy moto kit!

Last edited:
BikeMag had a great article on him a few years ago, He stopped downhill and was racing enduro afterwards. He said the sport changed, more long flowy descents and huge gaps, less like downhill during the last few decades. His riding style was more a match for the new enduro events than the newest DH courses. He even rode the DH world cup on his enduro bike in 2017, the same year he won the Enduro WC. But besides all that, His baller descent in Champery Switzerland in 07 puts him as one of the best of all time, regardless of current course style- you dont often hear your competitors talk in awe of your performance like they did of him that day.

Back
Top Bottom