How to remove this????

I can appreciate trying to fix what you got and keeping costs down. Also, those who bike tour in far away places are often faced with these problems, with limited resources and access to parts. This is how you learn to adapt. There are folks on the forums at MTBR who would probably know how to fix this and take the time to provide a thorough explanation.

I can appreciate trying to fix what you got and keeping costs down. Also, those who bike tour in far away places are often faced with these problems, with limited resources and access to parts. This is how you learn to adapt. There are folks on the forums at MTBR who would probably know how to fix this and take the time to provide a thorough explanation.
Although reducing cost is a side benefit I always like to figure things out and fix things myself, sometimes to my own detriment and end up costing more when all is said and done. My curiosity for seeing how things work goes way back to when I was a kid which explains how I ended up doing what I do for a living. Anyway, MTBR is a good resource so I'll try there too. Thanks.

Last edited:
I would contact Novatec with the problem you are having replacing the ring. Maybe they will send you a new wheel.

Real talk. It's press fit.

000575.jpg

Yeah, I got confirmation that I'll need a blind hole bearing extractor to get that sucker out. Long story short, I actually did get a new wheelset, not just a rear wheel from Diamondback. I contacted Novatec for the replacement parts (pawls and ratchet ring) to repair the busted one to use as a spare set. Worst case is I get a new rear hub and re-lace it. I've been eyeing a couple of possibilities. Hope Pro 4 is on the top of that list.

20170506_085208_1494075156318.jpg
20170506_085152_1494075156562.jpg
Update for those who gives a hoot. As suggested, I took a look at the old ratchet ring that I couldn't removed and see if it was too damaged because I probably don't even need to replace it. Upon closer inspection the teeth on the ring didn't look so bad compared to the new ring so I kept it in there and replaced only the pawls. Took it for a test ride at Stephen's last night for a 10-mile ride and so far so good. I also put on a drop of blue lock tite so only time will tell how long this will last. BTW, attached are pictures of the replacement ring.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom