How to Fix a Tire Sidewall When You Have Too Much Time on Your Hands

so let's do some math.

new 4000sII - $60
mileage from new tire ~6000
tire has 25% life left.
savings $15
risk vs unrepaired tire - lets say chance of catastrophic failure has gone from 1 in 10,000, to 1 in 1000. ??
your risk premium $1.50 (i think - it may be backwards - who does monte carlo simulations?)
so you are saving $13.50......

conclusion: sewing tire shut seems like a reasonable thing to do until the new tire arrives....in the next couple of days.

as a DIY project to keep it rolling i'd give it a 9 out of 10 tho..

is it on the back or the front?
which would produce less damage to person on failure?
or reduce likelihood of failure?

so let's do some math.

new 4000sII - $60
mileage from new tire ~6000
tire has 25% life left.
savings $15
risk vs unrepaired tire - lets say chance of catastrophic failure has gone from 1 in 10,000, to 1 in 1000. ??
your risk premium $1.50 (i think - it may be backwards - who does monte carlo simulations?)
so you are saving $13.50......

conclusion: sewing tire shut seems like a reasonable thing to do until the new tire arrives....in the next couple of days.

as a DIY project to keep it rolling i'd give it a 9 out of 10 tho..

is it on the back or the front?
which would produce less damage to person on failure?
or reduce likelihood of failure?
I have it on the front, which is more likely to produce more damage to ones person but is less likely of a catastrophic failure or even a flat.

Who gets 6000 miles out of a good road tire with these characteristics? I get 2500-3000 out of these but I ride them down to the threads. I have probably 1500 left in these, so I am saving at least $25 and that is assuming I paid $50. Deprecating the tire doesn't count because there is little resale value and I will rise them until they die.

I have it on the front, which is more likely to produce more damage to ones person but is less likely of a catastrophic failure or even a flat.

Who gets 6000 miles out of a good road tire with these characteristics? I get 2500-3000 out of these but I ride them down to the threads. I have probably 1500 left in these, so I am saving at least $25 and that is assuming I paid $50. Deprecating the tire doesn't count because there is little resale value and I will rise them until they die.

I'll still claim they have a life that you pay for, thus you are saving 1/2 a tire. if someone would pay for a used tire with a cut, it would be a no brainer.
i get more mileage cause i go slower ;)
and i always flat the front tire cause too much weight on my hands.

Loved this guy..

Attachments

• gyver.jpg
    gyver.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 255
I'll still claim they have a life that you pay for, thus you are saving 1/2 a tire. if someone would pay for a used tire with a cut, it would be a no brainer.
i get more mileage cause i go slower ;)
and i always flat the front tire cause too much weight on my hands.
If you can get 6000 out of that tire, very impressive.

$15 to hem your pants, as long as your don't mind them looking like a kid sewed them, and not those sweat shop kids, like spoiled American suburb kids

Update 07/13/2016, roughly 3 months later: This repair survived roughly 2,000 miles since the repair, including the brick / cobbles and generally crappy pavement for 100 miles in Pittsburgh. What was @fidodie saying about ROI for this repair? Alittle extra dry rot than normal, maybe and looking good otherwise then looking crappy.

5F233111-3166-4397-B743-58365815E7A7_zpsspr3dtne.jpg

Last edited:
Update 07/13/2016, roughly 3 months later: This repair survived roughly 2,000 miles since the repair, including the brick / cobbles and generally crappy pavement for 100 miles in Pittsburgh. What was @fidodie saying about ROI for this repair? Alittle extra dry rot than normal, maybe and looking good otherwise then looking crappy.

5F233111-3166-4397-B743-58365815E7A7_zpsspr3dtne.jpg
So is risk increasing as you ride?

im sure you could light a piece of furniture on sale and make a quick $100... you cheap bastard

I once patched a inch long slash in the tread of a Geax Saguaro with a piece of tube and superglue...ran that thing tubeless after that for like 800 or more miles without a problem.

6575FDF7-2ECA-40E4-9B8A-ACC402046867_zpsrq65zag0.jpg

late October update, since July, another 1,500 - 2,000 miles and original fix is going strong. This has been regulated to the front wheel and the pair to this tire that was on the rear met its maker in early September when the new chip seal in the sourlands ate it. This tire is coming to the end of it's life. What is the ROI value now @fidodie?

this looks better than when you started, maybe just the picture, but have you filled in the seams or is that good old fashion road crud?

Back
Top Bottom