How to Fix a Tire Sidewall When You Have Too Much Time on Your Hands

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Tire are expensive and even good tires fail. I am a big fan of Conti 4000s and now the sII even though people seem to have problems with the sidewalls tearing. I have put thousands of miles on both the s and sII, in many different conditions and surface types and have had very few issues. That being said, I recently got a flat with a nice sidewall gash, likely from a sharp stone or glass. I originally tried to fix it using a tube patch but after a few hundred miles, the tube was still trying to push through the hole at 90 PSI. So I could fix it more better or trash the tire. Considering this tread probably has 1500 miles left,trashing it is not an option. I could use a tire boot, which has worked fine in the past, but given the size of this gash and it being on the tire wall, I may be able to feel the tire boot under the tire whilst riding, which would be annoying. In any case, time for a longer term solution by stitching it.

EA8DF0EF-EDBF-49C1-8E7B-8AC4FCF97214_zpss13xjbp7.jpg

Stitched using heavy duty thread with knot on the outside as to not cause an issue with the tube on the inside
62A8B4D9-7C25-438D-9EF5-365B0E6186CA_zpsik5szftp.jpg

Tire patch on on side just to help hold everything together and protect the tibe from the stitches
D5C72A2F-24CD-411B-BFF2-F15F3779E650_zpsdfjsz91z.jpg

Mounted at 90 PSI. Very small bit of bulging in the area but much better than the tube sticking through. 1500 more miles pls. The rip started to go into the tread, so we will see what happens.
8CB9C300-BA6A-411B-A15E-3E1582FBF727_zpsvanwval5.jpg

rottin'

Staff member
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Interested to see how long this holds up...good luck. Did you use any type of glue with the thread or in the cut besides the patch on inside?

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Interested to see how long this holds up...good luck. Did you use any type of glue with the thread or in the cut besides the patch on inside?
No, figured the patch on the insides main purposes was to help hold it all together.

Mumonkan

viable for tubeless also, fire some superglue or shoegoo in the cut after you sew it (kevlar thread or floss work great), fire a patch or boot (chunk of old sidewall works as DIY boot also) on the inside and put a tube in overnight to press it into the tire so it gets a good seal

profit

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
I
Tire are expensive and even good tires fail. I am a big fan of Conti 4000s and now the sII even though people seem to have problems with the sidewalls tearing. I have put thousands of miles on both the s and sII, in many different conditions and surface types and have had very few issues. That being said, I recently got a flat with a nice sidewall gash, likely from a sharp stone or glass. I originally tried to fix it using a tube patch but after a few hundred miles, the tube was still trying to push through the hole at 90 PSI. So I could fix it more better or trash the tire. Considering this tread probably has 1500 miles left,trashing it is not an option. I could use a tire boot, which has worked fine in the past, but given the size of this gash and it being on the tire wall, I may be able to feel the tire boot under the tire whilst riding, which would be annoying. In any case, time for a longer term solution by stitching it.

EA8DF0EF-EDBF-49C1-8E7B-8AC4FCF97214_zpss13xjbp7.jpg

Stitched using heavy duty thread with knot on the outside as to not cause an issue with the tube on the inside
62A8B4D9-7C25-438D-9EF5-365B0E6186CA_zpsik5szftp.jpg

Tire patch on on side just to help hold everything together and protect the tibe from the stitches
D5C72A2F-24CD-411B-BFF2-F15F3779E650_zpsdfjsz91z.jpg

Mounted at 90 PSI. Very small bit of bulging in the area but much better than the tube sticking through. 1500 more miles pls. The rip started to go into the tread, so we will see what happens.
8CB9C300-BA6A-411B-A15E-3E1582FBF727_zpsvanwval5.jpg
i the sam over a 3/4" hole in my ground control fatbike tire about 2 months ago... 300 or so miles on it tubeless and no problemo

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Sure do. Especially with a tube. The pressure will actually force the patch in place.
Well, the thread on the outside of the tire would probably not last a single ride so it would be a question if the patch on the inside would be enough to support the glue and thread to keep the rubber together.

Dingo

I don't like walking while pushing a bike. However, I do like my front teeth just the way they are....So nope not gonna try this one.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
I don't like walking while pushing a bike. However, I do like my front teeth just the way they are....So nope not gonna try this one.
I already have fake front teeth, but do you really think a catastrophic failure would happen? Besides, tuck and roll, or err, slide.

Dingo

a mtb tire with 20psi no worry's 90 psi in a road tire going down hill at 35+ mph not chancing it.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
a mtb tire with 20psi no worry's 90 psi in a road tire going down hill at 35+ mph not chancing it.
Think about how good a story that would be though.

In all seriousness, I will check it periodically but really have no issue with the current setup.

Top Bottom