How the hell are we supposed to retire?

MissJR

not in the mood for your shenanigans
Team MTBNJ Halter's
don't freak - leads to "flee to safety" which is totally backwards! buy low, sell high - not the other way around.

the property (and timing) was totally a mistake... but that's a whole personal family story which i won't get into...

i'm going to get my butt in gear and talk to a financial planner about my accounts and all that... everyone says real estate is the best, but i'm still not giving up the idea of being an eternal renter.

rottin'

Staff member
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Bogleheads.org has some good insights if you're looking to keep your money in the market. Based on principles developed by John Bogle, founder of Vanguard . 3 fund portfolio, rebalance 1 year, outperforms 96% of actively managed funds

rick81721

Lothar
Back to @rlb, imo I'd put investment/retirement planning advice in the same category as medical/rehab advice - it's interesting to get various perspectives from people on the internet but I'd only follow through with advice from a professional. Talk to a financial planner. Never too early to make a plan.

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
@MissJR just needs to downsize.

maxresdefault.jpg

Wobbegong

you're never going to retire off your 401k. i have audited dozens of plans, and have prepared 401k financial statements for almost every place i have worked at. since i prep all the stuff and get the plans through the audits, i have had the opportunity to see hundreds of participants balances.

CEOs are the only people with substantial amounts of money in their 401k plans.

regular schmoes have shit. no one (who isn't an executive) breaks the $200k mark. and that's not much of a nest egg.

This is untrue in my world. I don't think there are many employees who wear the pecten for 10 years with less than 200k in their account. I love my job.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
the property (and timing) was totally a mistake... but that's a whole personal family story which i won't get into...

i'm going to get my butt in gear and talk to a financial planner about my accounts and all that... everyone says real estate is the best, but i'm still not giving up the idea of being an eternal renter.

i understood the property thing - like my experience, it happens - was referring to current investments - lots of people pull their money out and put it in a bond fund
at 2% then miss the run back to the avg line. then they think it is safe again...move again. money goes up, then down, repeat.

don't use a commissioned planner - pay for time, and recommendations. Over the last 5 years, my s&p 500 fund is leading in earnings.
to @rottin's point.....and as a hint, most of our investing is in market funds. watch ETFs, cause i swear they don't move as far up, but they always come
as far down as their underlying stocks.

there is overhead to buying a house, so if it is an investment, as well as living, ya gotta do the math.....and calling someone when the sump pump
stops working has its appeal!

Last edited:

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I personally want to end up building 3 of these for my retirement.
image.jpeg
1 up north
1 out west
1 on an island
All need to be set in foothills or mountainous near running water.
Will return to wasting many hours fly fishing like my youth.

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
So Pat, where do you keep your investments? (Brokerage, not underlying securities)

Patrick

Staff member
I personally want to end up building 3 of these for my retirement.
View attachment 31198
1 up north
1 out west
1 on an island
All need to be set in foothills or mountainous near running water.
Will return to wasting many hours fly fishing like my youth.

i was going to rent each one 4 months at a time - there is your income stream.....

Reactions: rlb

ChrisRU

Most people in the "everyone who says" that tell you real estate is a great investment couldn't explain to you why in real financial terms.

Patrick

Staff member
So Pat, where do you keep your investments? (Brokerage, not underlying securities)

1. Chase managed services. This costs $$ but has some benefits - they didn't do better than the market.
- 1 benefit is an equity secured credit line with no annual fee. as a business owner, i sometimes need to finance cash flow - rate is low, cause it is a secured line (much lower than home equity)
- 2 someone calls me and invites me to ranger and knicks games that i never attend. maybe tennis this year.
- 3 i knew the guy i started with - he was a double major. Lawyer/Finance. He did the finance thing long enough to figure out how to specialize in the legal field. i trusted him.
2. Some $$ i manage myself, inside a SEP (again, business owner version of 401k). Got a few funds, some stocks that i should sell. it lags behind the market,
but still goes up because of an income fund with auto re-invest
3. wife's 401k - she's been with SXM for 7 years now - previously vonage, prior ATT - we rolled those into the chase fund. since she has the corporate match, we push money there, rather than my SEP.
4. house. my mortgage is close to when we purchased it 25 years ago, but that is because we did some major changes (improvements?) - and refi'd a couple times to take
advantage of market conditions. there are 2.75% 5/1/15 arms out there now. double pay the principal, at this low rate, and get a capped change at year 5. good deal.

----
we are kindofa neurotic savers, although not the best with investing. We have been consistent, and once accustom to ignoring the $$ and moving up the
savings as income increased, it doesn't hurt anymore.

imho, the market flux is now part of the continued news cycle, and it turns into a Good v. Bad story. like every good movie.
the 1987 crash was like a two day panic, it cost some ridiculous amount of money to
make a trade, so the money just sat there, and it bounced back in 14 months - all that time we were still putting money in from the regular monthly paycheck.

jackx

i understood the property thing - like i said, it happens - was referring to current investments - lots of people pull their money out and put it in a bond fund
at 2% then miss the run back to the avg line. then they think it is safe again...move again. money goes up, then down, repeat.

don't use a commissioned planner - pay for time, and recommendations. Over the last 5 years, my s&p 500 fund is leading in earnings.
to @rottin's point.....and as a hint, most of our investing is in market funds. watch ETFs, cause i swear they don't move as far up, but they always come
as far down as their underlying stocks.

there is overhead to buying a house, so if it is an investment, as well as living, ya gotta do the math.....and calling someone when the sump pump
stops working has its appeal!

I dumped the planner last year. No sense paying them 1% of plan balance, especially if all they do is put you in a particular time-until-retirement allocation and rebalance yearly.

Last year I had a planner, I paid him more in fees than the plan made. But that was not the best year.

Now I keep my eye on the market. Sold high in December and moved almost all of to cash. Stuff is on sale now. Going to get back in the next few weeks. Probably after 25 or more down results for the market. We'll see if market correction is over then. Of course, being an election year, that makes it harder.

Vanguard's Admiral funds have low expense ratio. Their 500 Index (VFINX) is like 0.05% fee. But some more expensive mutual funds such as JAGLX are good performers, and the returns seem to be worth the high fee.

Would think that if the FBI pursues Hillary, the market should go up.

rlb

Lots of good insight here. Think I need to re-read a few and digest a bit more. I just feel like I'm missing the boat by just sticking $$ into my 401k. I do get a match and I take advantage of it, but I guess the ups and downs make me nervous. I suppose its time to take my financial knowledge beyond paying my bills and keeping expenses < income

Top Bottom