How should a skills-challenged former cat-3 roadie get acquainted with MTB?

echappy

i've been out riding my MTB a few time at Lewis Morris, and it's been an eye opener. Can't descend switch backs, and basically had to get off the bike countless times. It seemed that people rode the back section of the Lewis Morris race in ~10 min or less, and i took a good 20 min to navigate all those steep switchbacks.

From what I can gather from @jShort 's video on youtube, the short track at Allamuchy seems to be smoother (as in fewer steep switchback descents). Are the remaining two races in the H2H series comparable to Allamuchy? ( It would appear that Kittatiny would be similar to Lewis Morris). What other events (either NJ or within a reasonable drive) might be similar?

In the mean time, I'm trying to get more comfortable with just regular descending. I foresee a lot of hill repeats in my future, not necessarily for the Vo2max/anaerobic benefits, but more for the chances of learning how to ride faster downhill.

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
I suck at turning too and its still something I am working on but where your eyes are focused on is half the issue.

MadisonDan

Team MTBNJ Halter's
i've been out riding my MTB a few time at Lewis Morris, and it's been an eye opener. Can't descend switch backs, and basically had to get off the bike countless times. It seemed that people rode the back section of the Lewis Morris race in ~10 min or less, and i took a good 20 min to navigate all those steep switchbacks.

From what I can gather from @jShort 's video on youtube, the short track at Allamuchy seems to be smoother (as in fewer steep switchback descents). Are the remaining two races in the H2H series comparable to Allamuchy? ( It would appear that Kittatiny would be similar to Lewis Morris). What other events (either NJ or within a reasonable drive) might be similar?

In the mean time, I'm trying to get more comfortable with just regular descending. I foresee a lot of hill repeats in my future, not necessarily for the Vo2max/anaerobic benefits, but more for the chances of learning how to ride faster downhill.
Welcome to the madness. I think there is a beginner ride there on Wednesday's. Check the What's Happening thread. If you're really just starting out, don't worry..... yet. Keep at it. The group rides will allow you to follow lines and watch other riders as they navigate the terrain.

As for the Short Track video, do not confuse that course, which is at the BSA Camp at Allamuchy, with Allamuchy proper. They are way different.

Try different parks too. LewMo is a rooty place. Check out Nassau Trails and Six Mile Run. Both are beginner friendly and have good flow. Just make sure you check conditions first, cause mud = trail damage.

Maybe hit up a clinic when they come around, or get some private lessons. @muddybike @Robin ????

As for events, I can't speak to Kittatiny, but the race at Port Jervis was a pretty good for a beginner if I remember correctly from last year.

Keep riding

echappy

Welcome to the madness. I think there is a beginner ride there on Wednesday's. Check the What's Happening thread. If you're really just starting out, don't worry..... yet. Keep at it. The group rides will allow you to follow lines and watch other riders as they navigate the terrain.

As for the Short Track video, do not confuse that course, which is at the BSA Camp at Allamuchy, with Allamuchy proper. They are way different.

Try different parks too. LewMo is a rooty place. Check out Nassau Trails and Six Mile Run. Both are beginner friendly and have good flow. Just make sure you check conditions first, cause mud = trail damage.

Maybe hit up a clinic when they come around, or get some private lessons. @muddybike @Robin ????

As for events, I can't speak to Kittatiny, but the race at Port Jervis was a pretty good for a beginner if I remember correctly from last year.

Keep riding
well, you know it's a madness when you go back for seconds. Will be there tonight for the intro ride :)

@echappy , join us on Sunday morning at LewMo. That's one of the best sections in the park in both directions. We'll do hill repeats together

thanks for the invite.

had Sunday penciled in for MTB; what time are you guys meeting up?

qclabrat

well, you know it's a madness when you go back for seconds. Will be there tonight for the intro ride :)

thanks for the invite.

had Sunday penciled in for MTB; what time are you guys meeting up?
Sunrise lot, 7AM preride, 8AM loop back for rest

echappy

Gotcha; so pretty much meet at 6:50 for preride and 7:50 for main event?

Also, which trails will be tackled?

echappy

i'd love to, but i've only been there two times. hardly sufficient to give others a tour.

and not so sure how good my climbing legs are, but if you wait up at intersections, that would be great :)

trener1

BTW I believe that this Sundays D&Q Sizzler race is pretty beginner friendly, mostly smooth trails with very little climbing.

Top Bottom