How should a skills-challenged former cat-3 roadie get acquainted with MTB?

echappy

I am (or perhaps was) a decent cat-3 roadie with a diesel engine. Can't sprint to save my life, but got in quite a few breaks that stayed away and generally did well in ITTs.

After moving to Morris county, I've found myself enjoying road riding a lot less due to narrow/no shoulders, high traffic volume, and sinuous roads, and I basically spent the last six months exclusively doing Zwift.

I've now bought a MTB that's wayyyyyyyyy too nice for my needs. Part of this is to use it on gravel trails (e.g. Columbia Trail) on which my road bike won't fare well, but I'd also like to learn how to ride a MTB properly and perhaps even compete XC one day. When I started on the road, I was fortunate that the cycling club of my school had skills rides and riders willing to help out the newbs with techniques. Is there any clinic I could attend or perhaps group rides you'd recommend where they'll show beginners the ropes? Any clubs in the area that might take in a rider like me?

I realized that I'm extremely fortunate to live close to Lewis Morris Park; which of the trails would make for a good loop if I just want to crank away? And which would you recommend for improving skills? I don't ever foresee myself pushing the envelops too much, as I've already got titanium hardwares in my mouth from road racing, but it'd be nice to be technically adequate so that if I do decide to race, I won't be so out of place.

Many thanks in advance!

Jim

xc62701

I am (or perhaps was) a decent cat-3 roadie with a diesel engine. Can't sprint to save my life, but got in quite a few breaks that stayed away and generally did well in ITTs.

After moving to Morris county, I've found myself enjoying road riding a lot less due to narrow/no shoulders, high traffic volume, and sinuous roads, and I basically spent the last six months exclusively doing Zwift.

I've now bought a MTB that's wayyyyyyyyy too nice for my needs. Part of this is to use it on gravel trails (e.g. Columbia Trail) on which my road bike won't fare well, but I'd also like to learn how to ride a MTB properly and perhaps even compete XC one day. When I started on the road, I was fortunate that the cycling club of my school had skills rides and riders willing to help out the newbs with techniques. Is there any clinic I could attend or perhaps group rides you'd recommend where they'll show beginners the ropes? Any clubs in the area that might take in a rider like me?

I realized that I'm extremely fortunate to live close to Lewis Morris Park; which of the trails would make for a good loop if I just want to crank away? And which would you recommend for improving skills? I don't ever foresee myself pushing the envelops too much, as I've already got titanium hardwares in my mouth from road racing, but it'd be nice to be technically adequate so that if I do decide to race, I won't be so out of place.

Many thanks in advance!

Jim

Ride any Lewis Morris if you want to crank away. Ride any other trails if you want to work on technique.

Seriously though LM is one of the tamest trail systems around. If you want to work on tech Tourne is slightly rougher and then go to Wildcat/splitrock if you really want to work on tech. There is mild to wild there if you know where to look.

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Welcome!

Lewis Morris is certainly a great spot to have in your backyard for training. It seems like you have the base power to grind out some climbs, so something like the H2H race loop like this would probably be one of the best routes to get the most out of the park. As mentioned above, Lewis Morris is very tame, though it does have some rooty sections. For me, Chimney Rock in Martinsville was my next go to park for advancing my riding. Six Mile and Lewis Morris was the first single track I ever rode a few years ago.

You just missed our MTBNJ Group Ride at Nassau trails. Keep an eye on the 'Rides' section of the forum for our next group rides as well as posts from other groups of riders going out to explore new places.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Welcome!

I'm sure you'll find a few people to help out - there is a wednesday night lewis-morris ride, just jump in and pedal. you'll do fine.
then recruit some people to take you on the tuesday tourne ride
then the monday chimney rock ride
then the wednesday wildcat ride

all no drop, but the skill level goes up, as does the elevation.

maybe we'll restart the tuesday ride up at stephens/deer park ?

there are some faster road rides available - contact the morris area freewheelers - https://www.mafw.org/
they also know the better routes - traffic and road conditions.

have fun.

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I'd also like to learn how to ride a MTB properly and perhaps even compete XC one day.
Ride your mtb bike a lot and enjoy doing so. If you enjoy it you will ride more. Get out with others on group rides, ask inappropriate questions.
Don't wait until you know how to mtb properly to race, race now, sign up for a Cat 3 race within the next month. You will find answers to questions you didn't even know you had.
Finally, listen to what I tell you, I was pre-law in college.

https://www.h2hrace.com/h2hrace.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=179&Itemid=148

echappy

This is great! Thanks everyone for the helpful suggestions. I would really like to do the race at Lewis Morris if possible.

Ride your mtb bike a lot and enjoy doing so. If you enjoy it you will ride more. Get out with others on group rides, ask inappropriate questions.
Don't wait until you know how to mtb properly to race, race now, sign up for a Cat 3 race within the next month. You will find answers to questions you didn't even know you had.
Finally, listen to what I tell you, I was pre-law in college.

https://www.h2hrace.com/h2hrace.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=179&Itemid=148

I just hope to know what these questions are by then :)

echappy

No one asked what bike he bought?

What bike did you buy!!??

Anthem Advanced SX; got it new for a song.

Giant Anthem Advanced SX.jpg

After my zwift ride today, I wanted to practice proper bunny hopping (saw a video on youtube where the guy did it so effortlessly). The way they are doing it is a bit different from the way I bunny hop on the road (pedals at 3 & 9, and essentially use my legs to lift the bike by being clipped in). So far, i've managed to destroy a shoe box and run over my hiking boots a good 10 times without clearing them :oops:. Back to youtube watching and see what pointers I could pick up. As I said, the bike is way too good for my current skill level, though right now the same might be said had I bought a Wal-Mart bike.

Btw, @jimvreeland, it was thanks to Eric in your Madison shop that I can actually ride Zwift right now. Turned out my saddle was half a centimeter low, and I had been riding in that position for the previous 2 years (before then it was even lower.

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Preload your suspension before obstacles while getting into the cat pounce position then pouncey obstacle. Now here is the key rotate your wrist forward as this will unweighted the rear wheel. Lager logs will require a different approach by tapping front wheel on top of log. Pedal position on the approach is where practice will need to be repeated over and over. Good luck and keep riding. The more the better. And if you ain't crashing your not going fast enough unless its rock garden then the opposite applies.

qclabrat

Think you're doing the English bunny hop whereas Matty's explaining the American. Which one you trying to do?

GreenMachine

Preload your suspension before obstacles while getting into the cat pounce position then pouncey obstacle. Now here is the key rotate your wrist forward as this will unweighted the rear wheel. Lager logs will require a different approach by tapping front wheel on top of log. Pedal position on the approach is where practice will need to be repeated over and over. Good luck and keep riding. The more the better. And if you ain't crashing your not going fast enough unless its rock garden then the opposite applies.
Good advice on the rock gardens - being a newer rider , I tend to try to muscle over / through them - but you’re saying navigate your way through them - makes sense.

echappy

Think you're doing the English bunny hop whereas Matty's explaining the American. Which one you trying to do?
I think i'm doing the hopping for fat bunnies ;)

jest aside, American bunny hop, like in the video below. Though I'm more interested in whatever that may help me get through a trail faster.

Amazing that the experts can jump while standing on their pedals, without being clipped in. Right now, i'm just trying to lift up the front end of the bike as high as possible, but instead end up doing what's at 2:16 of the video.

Soundguy

#SenditGuy
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Dickerson Mine is a great trail only about 15 min from Lewis Morris and has some very beginner friendly tech. As mentioned, Lewmo is quality cardio but has zero obstacles...Dickerson has plenty of “beginner friendly” rock gardens to learn on, which you will need to know if you want to ride in north Jersey. I can show you around if you ever want a tour.

mustclime

My advice to roadies that try dirt... watch your hart rate..... on the road you can you can ride with tunnel vision, do that in the dirt and you will crash or brake something on the bike. Learn to ride with your hart rate 10-20% lower than you do on the road. Just because you can push yourself to a certain point does not mean you should...... slower=faster

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Good advice on the rock gardens - being a newer rider , I tend to try to muscle over / through them - but you’re saying navigate your way through them - makes sense.

rock gardens are different. a very wise rider on here once told me - weight back, keep pedaling.
this isn't trials work, where reposition is needed - just riding through the crap.
learn to ride them the downhill way first, then uphill. huge difference
there is probably a prefered line, but....

Last edited:
Top Bottom