How Quickly will mwlikeseBikes be Banned on Trails in our Area?

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
Not to mention, they handle like complete dog-ass. Any time they gain on a wide open flat immediatly
Do eBikes cause more trail damage? Do they make the trails more dangerous for non-ebikers (including hikers)? Serious questions.
What exactly is the issue other than someone on an ebike having to work less than you? Or that they can have a few extra beers during the week?

They don't do anymore damage than a normal mountain bike will. They're just new subject matter for the fear mongers. Should probably pay more attention to all the rogue enduro trails popping up everywhere. Those will get trails closed down a hell of a lot faster than an eBike ever will.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Not to mention, they handle like complete dog-ass. Any time they gain on a wide open flat immediatly

They don't do anymore damage than a normal mountain bike will. They're just new subject matter for the fear mongers. Should probably pay more attention to all the rogue enduro trails popping up everywhere. Those will get trails closed down a hell of a lot faster than an eBike ever will.
I’m sorry, but the full assist bikes, at a place at 6 mile is a huge advantage, being able To have a conastant assist in the twisty stuff. Will it lead to trail damage? probably not but it will lead to people skidding off the trail, more Collisions ( with other trail users and trees) and people without skills not knowing what to do with the speed.

Would you think any different if giant and specialized weren’t pushing ebikes at the moment?

Last edited:

Steve Vai

I wouldn't think any different. The control argument is lame. Again I'll argue the enduro bros offer a significantly greater risk. At Allaire I almost rode off a 6 foot drop with no warning at all. If I wasn't with a local I would've ended up in the hospital.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
I wouldn't think any different. The control argument is lame. Again I'll argue the enduro bros offer a significantly greater risk. At Allaire I almost rode off a 6 foot drop with no warning at all. If I wasn't with a local I would've ended up in the hospital.
I’m not arguing about the enduro bros, but just think if the ebike guys ride off that and get hurt, would be worse for everyone.

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
I’m sorry, but the full assist bikes, at a place at 6 mile is a huge advantage, being able To have a conastant assist in the twisty stuff. Will it lead to trail damage? probably not but it will lead to people skidding off the trail, more Collisions ( with other trail users and trees) and people without skills not knowing what to do with the speed.

Would you think any different if giant and specialized weren’t pushing ebikes at the moment?

This is where my experience aligned with Jim precisely.

Those who are less experienced while on a pedal assist bike is nearly always slower than an experienced rider specifically in technical terrain (think twisty as being technical).

I’d go as far as to say a very experienced mtbiker can be faster than a oof road motorcycle when ridden by a total noob.

As a side here, the writing is on the wall.

- Like it or not, the bike industry is pushing ebikes WAY WAY harder than you know.
-Within the next 5-10 years, ebikes will be indistinguishable from an analog bike from 5 feet away.
-people who have zero interest in mtbing in its current for will be VERY interested in ebikes.

Reactions: don

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad

Those who are less experienced while on a pedal assist bike is nearly always slower than an experienced rider specifically in technical terrain (think twisty as being technical).

I’d go as far as to say a very experienced mtbiker can be faster than a oof road motorcycle when ridden by a total noob.

- Like it or not, the bike industry is pushing ebikes WAY WAY harder than you know.
-Within the next 5-10 years, ebikes will be indistinguishable from an analog bike from 5 feet away.
-people who have zero interest in mtbing in its current for will be VERY interested in ebikes.
The BMC eroad bike I rode in philly looked pretty damn close to a pedal bike. Kinda silly hunter could get up to 20mph in 5 pedal strokes.

In any case, the obvious issue will be people making them faster then intended. Hopefully this goes the way of the fat bike, who even @jimvreeland doesn’t ride most of the time anymore.

Monkey Soup

Angry Wanker

I find it hard to believe that someone who had zero interest in MTB or being in the woods will suddenly get off their fat asses and become interested because they can now buy a $4000 battery operated bike, to finally realize their life-long dream of “pedaling” on a trail. I think that’s wishful thinking.

Steve Vai

Hopefully this goes the way of the fat bike, who even @jimvreeland doesn’t ride most of the time anymore.

Only 7,300 miles on the Fat Bike this year :)

Screenshot_20181126-223806_Strava.jpg

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
I find it hard to believe that someone who had zero interest in MTB or being in the woods will suddenly get off their fat asses and become interested because they can now buy a $4000 battery operated bike, to finally realize their life-long dream of “pedaling” on a trail. I think that’s wishful thinking.

It’s understandable that it’s hard to understand..

That said, the people who come in asking for ebikes are generally not cyclists. They do however want to be outside and they are typically out of shape. This is where ebikes are seeing great success.

Steve Vai

Sure, but you know the industry is over the hump when you started riding skinny tires again. It was similar to when @jdog called death to the 26er.

Oh yeah, for most of the world Fat Bikes are dead. Our Fat business has grown as a result of all the other shops jumping ship. Which is kinda like how it was when I was on the front end of this thing. Dennis and I commute on fat bikes almost everyday. For any recreational riding I'm on a skinny bike, I honestly don't remember the last time I brought my Fat Bike anywhere to go mountain biking.

graveyardman67

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Just a comment on the E-Bike vs pedal bike in the gnar. I ran into my partner at the Splitrock dam over the summer. He was on his E-Bike.

Sidebar on why he has an E-Bike. He's been on a MTB as long as I have; circa '86/87. He's a very good rider but maybe not as fit as us racer types (I use that term loosely). He loves that he can jump out on the E-Bike and blast 25 miles through Splitrock in 2 hours. He actually has 2 so other people can go with him. I've done it. It's actually a blast covering huge terrain then ripping the road at 20 mph to connect trails.

I digress. He says hey let's go around the reservoir. I immediately think this is going to hurt a lot; me vs. e-bike. The fire road was no contest, he had to lay back hard not to crush my soul. Once we hit the white trail, oh baby! I went to gnar auto-pilot at volume 11. Maybe I was highly motivated but I crushed the entire section and he simply could not keep pace through rock gardens and really difficult tech stuff. Funny thing is the Strava segment KOM was done by a dude on a moto (a decent rider at that) and only put a little over a minute on me https://www.strava.com/segments/15784867 .

DownhillR3

Now that i've rode an E-Bike after having spent my entire life on conventional bikes. Downhill, XC, road racer... e-bikes aren't as bad as I thought. Yes, ate my words. Absolutely hated them when they came out and knocked everyone who rode or bought them.

I don't see them starting to ruin highly trafficked trail networks until the prices start to drop... still need to dish out $4-5K and that is still a serious small market... not families looking to get into MTB as a way to have fun on a Sunday.

Looking to pickup an E-bike once the battery range technology increases. To have the option of going out for a day and crushing 50+ miles on ATV trails that include inclines that regular MTB's would destroy the body to make it up without walking is the plus I see with E-bikes. E-bikes aren't any easier to ride... just allow us to go adventure farther. IMO.

Just remember, once the battery dies and you are 20 miles from the car... that is when the true in shape people show their colors.

Monkey Soup

Angry Wanker
Now that i've rode an E-Bike after having spent my entire life on conventional bikes. Downhill, XC, road racer... e-bikes aren't as bad as I thought. Yes, ate my words. Absolutely hated them when they came out and knocked everyone who rode or bought them.

I don't see them starting to ruin highly trafficked trail networks until the prices start to drop... still need to dish out $4-5K and that is still a serious small market... not families looking to get into MTB as a way to have fun on a Sunday.

Looking to pickup an E-bike once the battery range technology increases. To have the option of going out for a day and crushing 50+ miles on ATV trails that include inclines that regular MTB's would destroy the body to make it up without walking is the plus I see with E-bikes. E-bikes aren't any easier to ride... just allow us to go adventure farther. IMO.

Just remember, once the battery dies and you are 20 miles from the car... that is when the true in shape people show their colors.

If your going to crush ATV trails all day, why not just spend the extra $2-3k and get a moto or an ATV? And those soul-crushing climbs are what actually make you stronger, faster. I thought part of the whole bike-riding thing was exercise, cardio, keep the weight down, etc. ?

RobW

by the time the battery is completely gone to shit, the rider should be in good enough shape to pedal it without the battery.... just a thought

Top Bottom