How many states have you

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
The entire thing was a pinch-me moment. Flowy with some tech. High altitude though. But I made it through OK. Rent a dream bike from Over The Edge and ride from there or they will shuttle you. Just a great experience. Biggest Blue Jays I’ve ever seen.

probably steller's jays - awesome bird.
they puff out their feathers when it is cold. Cool crest on the head too.

teabagger11

The entire thing was a pinch-me moment. Flowy with some tech. High altitude though. But I made it through OK. Rent a dream bike from Over The Edge and ride from there or they will shuttle you. Just a great experience. Biggest Blue Jays I’ve ever seen.
how about the giant pine cones that can throw you off the trail!

jmanic

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
Staff member
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I will add that north Tahoe is pretty great too. For there, rent at Flume Trail Bikes, and get the shuttle to Mt Rose.

tonyride

Don't piss off the red guy
I will add that north Tahoe is pretty great too. For there, rent at Flume Trail Bikes, and get the shuttle to Mt Rose.
Same situation for me with North Tahoe also. I've skied Squaw Valley a couple of times (actually my favorite place in all of Tahoe) and I wondered how it would be to ride down KT22.

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
20170730_115939.jpg

KenS

JORBA: Director
JORBA.ORG
I'll bite, Tahoe is incredible. I did a few amazing road rides out there. Around the lake, from North Lake to Carson City to Reno and back to North Lake, etc. Descending from the big passes was a rush.

'08, rocking the mtbnj colors. Sean R. gave me a great tour from Spooner.
IMG_4874.JPG

qclabrat

Sure many have seen this, and it's probably semi supported given that the BOB "disappears" at times
But I just love the kids' enthusiasm and jealous of their adventure. They're hitting so many more place then I'll likely ever ride.

1speed

Incredibly profound yet fantastically flawed
I'll bite, Tahoe is incredible. I did a few amazing road rides out there. Around the lake, from North Lake to Carson City to Reno and back to North Lake, etc. Descending from the big passes was a rush.

'08, rocking the mtbnj colors. Sean R. gave me a great tour from Spooner.
View attachment 62532

Very cool, @KenS ! Tahoe Rim Trail is a bucket list ride for me. Once I'm done racing for good, trips like that will be what riding is all about for me. (Would not do with any snow around, though!)

Ian F

Hmm...

PA - M & R
NJ - M & R
DE - M & R
NY - M
NH - M & R
MA - M & R
ME - R (oddly enough, when I lived in NH, I did road rides in Maine a lot, but for MTB riding, I went to Kingdom or Highland)
VT - M
VA - M & R
MD - M & R
WV - M
NC - M
GA - M (assuming I can count all of the trail riding I did as a young kid on my 20")
CA - M (edit - I'd forgotten I'd rented a bike and rode some trails somewhere between San Jose and San Francisco back in early 2002 when I was out there for work).

BC - M

Last edited:

roc

Ny Nh Me Nj. Vt Va. Ma Ut Az - MTB
HI, road.
No Pa, crazy!
And New Jersey has some of the best out of all of them!

don

New England: VT, NH, ME, MA, CT, RI
Northeast: NY, NJ, PA
South: FL
Europe: France (Chamonix)
Canada: BC (Whistler)

My favorite place for MTB is Vermont by far
Best dirt jump trail spots are in PA and NJ
Florida isn't as bad as you might think

The Kalmyk

Starting from Square 1 here. I will not complete this nor do I have the desire to do so. I’d rather try and make it a family affair. If my boys love cycling like I do, I’m hoping they can finish the job. This month I have Nevada, Rhode Island, Connecticut and Massachusetts routed out. Certainly will have to note RI as it’s impossible to color it in.

E167E026-A281-4582-8C40-BFFC0B897166.jpeg

Last edited:

Jmann

Never gonna let you down.
Starting from Square 1 here. I will not complete this nor do I have the desire to do. I’d rather try and make it a family affair. If my boys love cycling like I do, I’m hoping they can finish the job. This month I have Nevada, Rhode Island, Connecticut and Massachusetts routed out. Certainly will have to note RI as it’s impossible to color it in.

View attachment 104496
Where do you plan on riding in CT, RI and mass?

The Kalmyk

Jmann

I wish I was more exciting from a mtb perspective but these are gravel rides- for now. Next year more mtbing as my son wants to get into the NICA thing. The first route is planned for September 26th and the second route (Southern Trunkline) will be done the following day after a business meeting.

https://www.strava.com/routes/21540696

https://www.strava.com/routes/21559735
There’s a lot of great gravel riding in CT. My father in law lives in litchfield and you can ride all day and barely touch pavement. The southeastern part by the Connecticut River has a lot too, that’s where they do the nutmeg noreaster ride.
Your actually really close to great mtb on that ride in southern mass, if you get back there I can give you some spots.

The Kalmyk

There’s a lot of great gravel riding in CT. My father in law lives in litchfield and you can ride all day and barely touch pavement. The southeastern part by the Connecticut River has a lot too, that’s where they do the nutmeg noreaster ride.
Your actually really close to great mtb on that ride in southern mass, if you get back there I can give you some spots.
You know the funny thing i was looking into the Connecticut River area but wanted to knock out three states on this trip. The other thing is my customer is in Lynnfield which is very close to Lynn Woods. Going to take advantage of that just not this trip.

What trails are you referring to in So Ma.?

Last edited:

chemgirl

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Considering I've been to 46 of our wonderful states, my state ride list is not as impressive. Think I have a new goal moving forward, to ride in at least two new states a year.
I've mountain biked in: ME, NH, VT, MA, NY, CT, RI, PA, NJ, DE, MD, FL, OH, WA, OR, CA, CO, and Canada and Mexico.

Jmann

You know the funny thing i was looking into the Connecticut River area but wanted to knock out two three states on this visit. The other thing is my customer is in Lynnfield which is very close to Lynn Woods. Going to take advantage of that just not this trip.

What trails are you referring to in So Ma.?
Lynn woods is definitely worth checking out. The trails in southern mass are Sutton state forest. It’s one of my favorite places period. It’s one of those spots that’s not well know but has a small crew that builds great trails. Lots of rock features and rollers but still has flow.
Your also going to be very close to Arcadia when your in southern RI. It’s ok, but I usually go to Lincoln woods when I’m in the area.
Another fun thing to do is to take the ferry to Block Island. There’s not much car traffic there to begin with and the off season is really quiet.

The Kalmyk

Lynn woods is definitely worth checking out. The trails in southern mass are Sutton state forest. It’s one of my favorite places period. It’s one of those spots that’s not well know but has a small crew that builds great trails. Lots of rock features and rollers but still has flow.
Your also going to be very close to Arcadia when your in southern RI. It’s ok, but I usually go to Lincoln woods when I’m in the area.
Another fun thing to do is to take the ferry to Block Island. There’s not much car traffic there to begin with and the off season is really quiet.

Block Island... Yes! My father was a bus boy at one the restaurants way back when. I’ve thrown back my share of Mudslides at Mohegan and some Narragansett’s at Three Kittens. Not sure if they are even there anymore, lol. I spent two year wasting my parents money at Providence College. I know all about RI.

I will certainly have to check Sutton sooner than later. I’m in Southern NE at least 5 times a year so no excuses. Thanks for the lead- sincerely.

Top Bottom