How is start position/call ups handled at XC nats?

1683600229301.png

1683600242791.png

So you work hard and get all of these points, then they totally ignore all that stuff and put you in the back anyway.....Thats what happened to me in the two years I did it.

Not a big deal tho at bear creek, in 3 laps, you will end up where you belong

i wonder how many people are going to bring their battery removed SS bike to the start line and realized they are F'd

We send NICA series results to USAC and they count for points, as do any USAC sanctioned races. it's tough to get into called up land though as the race quality criteria takes some years to build, as does the amount of ranked riders. Here is their FAQ on rankings: https://legacy.usacycling.org/news/user/story.php?id=6998

Excerpt:
Rank Points are calculated based on the Race Quality value plus a rider’s place minus one multiplied by the points per place for the event. In summary:
  • Race Quality Value = (Average of 5 best ranked riders in race’s top 10) x 0.9
  • Points per Place = (((Avg. ranking of all finishers) – (Race Quality)) x 2) / (total number of finishers – 1)
  • Rank Points = Race Quality + ((rider’s placing – 1) x Points per Place)

We send NICA series results to USAC and they count for points, as do any USAC sanctioned races. it's tough to get into called up land though as the race quality criteria takes some years to build, as does the amount of ranked riders. Here is their FAQ on rankings: https://legacy.usacycling.org/news/user/story.php?id=6998

Excerpt:
Rank Points are calculated based on the Race Quality value plus a rider’s place minus one multiplied by the points per place for the event. In summary:
  • Race Quality Value = (Average of 5 best ranked riders in race’s top 10) x 0.9
  • Points per Place = (((Avg. ranking of all finishers) – (Race Quality)) x 2) / (total number of finishers – 1)
  • Rank Points = Race Quality + ((rider’s placing – 1) x Points per Place)
This. More asking for a very fast local NICA racer.His dad doesn't want him doing nats because he felt last year all the west coast riders got call ups first. He's probably #1 or in Md here. I want to see him race nats.

This. More asking for a very fast local NICA racer.His dad doesn't want him doing nats because he felt last year all the west coast riders got call ups first. He's probably #1 or in Md here. I want to see him race nats.
So my first year, I had some cat 1 wins, had a bunch of points....got sent to the back...But I finished 7th, so that automatically got me a call up for the following year. Well I guess they forgot bc I got sent to the back again. Point is, id prepare for starting the back and dont worry about it. It will most likely have zero impact on the outcome on that course. Had no effect on my races

There is likely going to be a huge presence from PA NICA, which is huge compared to the surround states. Some of the PA varsity kids are crazy fast.

There is likely going to be a huge presence from PA NICA, which is huge compared to the surround states. Some of the PA varsity kids are crazy fast.
Yea. This kid owen has been racing the va high school series as well as a couple mass races. I think he got 8th or 9th at granogue reverse last year.

USAC accepts NICA race results but the league must send them in. I've done so since they began accepting them from us, in 2021. That was also the year in which they updated their points system. I am fairly certain PA and MD also submit results, but see my earlier statement re: race quality formula. We do not yet have enough data/racers to turn the dial. Utar's advice is solid here.

What does the kid want, and is it truly his thoughts or those of the adults living through his youth and ability?

We just interviewed 20 kids this past weekend for a film project (@JPark for the win!) and the overwhelming response to why they race, whether they were the 2 time varsity champion in the hunt for yellow after race #3, a middle school girl racing varsity and crushing it, a full on beginner and/or every level of ability in between, was fun. A very close second, perhaps equal, was friendship, and nearly every one of them mentioned community. Out of 20, maybe 2 mentioned competition, yet many of them were wearing yellow and incredibly fast racers. None said competition first.

Nats are fun, and the community is there. The competition is there too, and will add fun to those who choose to line up, but I hope coaches and parents are paying attention to the student's why.

What does the kid want, and is it truly his thoughts or those of the adults living through his youth and ability?

We just interviewed 20 kids this past weekend for a film project (@JPark for the win!) and the overwhelming response to why they race, whether they were the 2 time varsity champion in the hunt for yellow after race #3, a middle school girl racing varsity and crushing it, a full on beginner and/or every level of ability in between, was fun. A very close second, perhaps equal, was friendship, and nearly every one of them mentioned community. Out of 20, maybe 2 mentioned competition, yet many of them were wearing yellow and incredibly fast racers. None said competition first.

Nats are fun, and the community is there. The competition is there too, and will add fun to those who choose to line up, but I hope coaches and parents are paying attention to the student's why.
I agree, I think he should race. I think his dad wants the best for him.

Someone even said "It's not like you have like soccer parents screaming at you in the background. It's not like you have people getting angry at you for no reason on your team."

Back
Top Bottom