Hope brakes?

DargSide

I've been throwing the idea of getting hope brakes on my trail bike for awhile, so a few questions to those who own a pair:

Is it worth it?
Tech e4 or v4?

I normally ride round valley, and chimney rock, but like going other places and finding steep rocky stuff
i have some older xt's but have been really satisfied with any other hope product ive purchased and have general upgrade-itis

02camaro

my friend upgraded his XT to all hope stuff. i think they are the v4. i briefly rode his bike and they feel GREAT and he stays they are much nicer than the XTs he had. they are my list of future upgrades.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
these have been one of the best investments i've made for my bike.
hope tech 3 x2 - The v4 looks similar with the extra piston.
tons of adjustability, and they are very consistent.
i had XT on my anthem, and Level tlm(?) on my tallboy. the hopes blow them away.
and using some generic/inexpensive rotors too. (btw @jimvreeland recommended them to me)

i'm considering moving them to the tallboy.

soundz

The Hat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
e4 and v4 are mostly the same.. execpt one of the pistons on the v4 is a bit bigger

so u get a bit more stopping power with v4 at the expense of a bit more weight

v4 is advertised for downhill theoretically but i say run whatever u feel more comfortable with

jackx

After about 3 seasons of use, I replaced Avid Elixirs with Hopes and it has been the best upgrade to my bike. Perhaps more in terms of reliability and ease of bleeding, although I think the modulation and stopping power of the Hopes are great too.

For the front, I have a 4-pot E4, which I think is their Enduro model.
For the rear I have a 2-pot X2, which I believe is their XC model.
Both use the Tech 3 lever and standard plastic cable, not stainless braided cable.

Xler8

E4 Hope binders here. Had XT and Guide. The build and feel of the Hope brakes are very different. They are easier to bleed, come in a nice array of colors, however a little heavier. The one thing that I wish was different was the actual lever. The SRAM levers seem to have a better feel to me. It's a small offset for the performance gain. Where I feel the Hope brakes shine is where you would be on the brakes for an extended period of time. They keep a consistent feel no matter how much you use them whereas the others would fade. I would be really surprised to find someone who didn't think it was a worthwhile upgrade.

Mare

I have Hope Tech X2s on my older bike, then I have Hope something or other newer brakes (I think Race Evo E4) on my newer bike. Hope makes great products and they are worth the pennies! I've had XT (ugh), Avid Juicys (horrible to bleed), and Avid BB7s. The BB7s don't compare to the Hopes, but I am just mentioning anyway that they were the best ones out of all my disc brakes before Hope to give you an idea of my lineup. Plus Hope comes in all these pretty colors and they are a piece of art :)

Edit: Hope brakes are the ones that will still be working like new in 10 years. You'll bleed them periodically, and change break pads. That's it.

Blair

I've been throwing the idea of getting hope brakes on my trail bike for awhile, so a few questions to those who own a pair:

Is it worth it?
Tech e4 or v4?

I normally ride round valley, and chimney rock, but like going other places and finding steep rocky stuff
i have some older xt's but have been really satisfied with any other hope product ive purchased and have general upgrade-itis
With your xt's, how often have you been in a position where you think you need more stopping power? I rarely use my brakes as it is, I focus on achieving flow.

soundz

The Hat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I think xTs have plenty of stopping power. It’s just the on-off feel some people don’t like.

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I think xTs have plenty of stopping power. It’s just the on-off feel some people don’t like.
Your finger is your modulator. Do you slam the brake pedal every time you drive? TAKE IT EASY!

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Your finger is your modulator. Do you slam the brake pedal every time you drive? TAKE IT EASY!

i'm bubbling over with disrespectful, racial, misogynistic comments, but i had the o-rings replaced lately, so they stay where they belong.
does that make me a bad, white guy? (i realized that most of those comments aren't funny anyway.....except the one over in Glenn's thread)

DargSide

I find I don't have that much modulation on the xts, some sometimes not enough stopping power for me when it gets steep

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
XTs have a servo wave thing in the lever. Basically it pulls more lever at the beginning of the stroke to start the pad engagement earlier, then there's not a lot of movement for the modulation part.

Top Bottom