Hitch bike rack?

MissJR

not in the mood for your shenanigans
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I have a saris (I'll look up model later)... There are things I really like about it and I would've recommended it to anyone at first. But I've had issues and have changed my opinion drastically.

clarkenstein

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
I have a saris (I'll look up model later)... There are things I really like about it and I would've recommended it to anyone at first. But I've had issues and have changed my opinion drastically.

What happened with it? There’s a Saris at REI (I still have my dividend) but you need to take out a second mortgage to buy the thing.

MissJR

Team MTBNJ Halter's
What happened with it?

i have the older version of the superclamp 2 bike rack (mine doesn't swivel down to allow for opening the back of the car)

my issues: the bike lock jammed and we had to saw the lock cables off. the clamps that go down on top of the wheels constantly get stuck. the one side arm no longer ratchets.

i purchased the rack in May 2017. they replaced the parts for the lock/cables in july 2018. i've been meaning to message them about the ratcheting issues with the arm (it's been a while).

clarkenstein

JORBA.ORG
i have the older version of the superclamp 2 bike rack (mine doesn't swivel down to allow for opening the back of the car)

my issues: the bike lock jammed and we had to saw the lock cables off. the clamps that go down on top of the wheels constantly get stuck. the one side arm no longer ratchets.

i purchased the rack in May 2017. they replaced the parts for the lock/cables in july 2018. i've been meaning to message them about the ratcheting issues with the arm (it's been a while).

Wow this is all within ~18 months?

Geez.

MissJR

Team MTBNJ Halter's
It's NJ. Unless you take it off in the winter, it will rapidly go to shit in 2 years.

Every rack will have this same issue.
i take it off the car in the winter.

rick81721

Lothar
After consciously dismissing all the puns that ran through my head about racks...

I need a hitch bike rack that fits 4 bikes. I have a 2” hitch.

After searching for all of ten minutes I immediately became overwhelmed and decided I should ask the peanut gallery. I need to be able to move 20”, Road bike, 26”, and 27.5+ Tire Mountain bikes with it. Sometimes all of those wheel sizes at the same time.

What’s your recommendation?

Hey Dave how easy is it to chuck one bike (without removing wheel) into the Forester? We should be getting ours in a day or two.

PS I should sell our thule 2 bike hitch rack. Think I used it twice in 3 years

MissJR

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Do you store it in the bathtub?
then that would make it difficult for steve to take his bubble baths

i either store it in the storage unit with all the bikes or sometimes just toss it in the back of the car.

clarkenstein

JORBA.ORG
Hey Dave how easy is it to chuck one bike (without removing wheel) into the Forester? We should be getting ours in a day or two.

Very easy to fit one bike in the back. Take off the front wheel and you are good to go.

My daughter is cruising on two wheels now so family bike trips are officially in the works. And my son wants to hit parks on the bmx so I want to be able to move two 20” (and maybe a cruiser if I have a moment of weakness) without stacking them in the back.

DownhillR3

NorthShore if you are always carrying alot of bikes.

If not, 1Upusa for ease of storare, all aluminum and good design.

Customer Service sucks, they don't give any discounts or any assistance for shipping damaged product. Product was not damaged from transit.

Big Dumb Animal

Hippo Nipples' #1 Fan

Do you have pictures? I'm sort of looking for a hitch rack.

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
It's NJ. Unless you take it off in the winter, it will rapidly go to shit in 2 years.

Every rack will have this same issue.

None of the issues with the Saris rack were weather/rust related.

1) The lock mechanism failed, with the bikes locked up. Luckily it was after our ride. Cutoff wheel cut through the cables like butter to get the bikes off. Saris gave us a new lock mechanism and cables, however I still haven't figured out how to install the new cables as they weren't meant to be changed.

2) The grips don't slide up and down well on the arms. I think here the issue is the paint has worn from the up/down motion and so it's not smooth and it sticks.

3) One of the two arm's ratcheting mechanisms wore out so it doesn't stay in place. It's due to the ratchet/pawl not being designed very well. The pawl is a soft material that wears out quickly and isn't easy to replace.

The rack on paper is a great rack. Lightweight so it's easy to take on/off, and it's extremely secure carrying two bikes.

I leave my Kuat on most of the winter, since it's aluminum it doesn't have much in the way of issues. I'm starting to see rust on the lower portions that are made of steel but it's mostly cosmetic. I did just recently replace some of the steel rusting washers with Stainless Steel.

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Lost as in fell off or lost as in stolen?
Fell off, pretty sure it was on 4 bidges if you know it's a steep road. It was and older first gen 1 1/4 in a adapter for 2". Thing would loosen up on it's own over time. It didnt surprise me. what surprised me was I noticed about an 3 hours later?

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Fell off, pretty sure it was on 4 bidges if you know it's a steep road. It was and older first gen 1 1/4 in a adapter for 2". Thing would loosen up on it's own over time. It didnt surprise me. what surprised me was I noticed about an 3 hours later?

My biggest gripe with the 1up is that it's held into the hitch via friction only. Everyone else uses a bolt that can be locked. My Kuat has a wedge pulled by a bolt so it is snug and doesn't shake, but also has a threaded bolt that takes a lock. Way more Secure.

Second gripe is the fact that anyone with the correct tool, which is a commony purchased security bit, can steal or dismantle the rack.

HenryK

I'm looking for a new rack also, but only a 1 or 2 bike Rack. I was looking at the 1up and also the RockyMount monorail. I also had the concern about the friction fit on the 1up. Having owned both, how do you feel the Rockymount stacks up to the 1up.

Thx

Frank

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I'm looking for a new rack also, but only a 1 or 2 bike Rack. I was looking at the 1up and also the RockyMount monorail. I also had the concern about the friction fit on the 1up. Having owned both, how do you feel the Rockymount stacks up to the 1up.

Thx

Frank
Really like 1up a lot but replacement cost vs. Mono rail was half the price. Monorail out of the box has everything (straps for fatbike and locks) vs extras with 1up. The monorails t bar pull for tilt is tight (not sloppy) and smooth. Also has a lock on hitch bolt. Monorail double is 40lbs which is pretty respectable.

If money was not issue I would have bought another 1up but i researched the hell out of an alternative and i am glad i did. In fact i am buying another monorail and a monorail one bike extension.

Top Bottom