Hitch bike rack?

clarkenstein

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
After consciously dismissing all the puns that ran through my head about racks...

I need a hitch bike rack that fits 4 bikes. I have a 2” hitch.

After searching for all of ten minutes I immediately became overwhelmed and decided I should ask the peanut gallery. I need to be able to move 20”, Road bike, 26”, and 27.5+ Tire Mountain bikes with it. Sometimes all of those wheel sizes at the same time.

What’s your recommendation?

serviceguy

After consciously dismissing all the puns that ran through my head about racks...

I need a hitch bike rack that fits 4 bikes. I have a 2” hitch.

After searching for all of ten minutes I immediately became overwhelmed and decided I should ask the peanut gallery. I need to be able to move 20”, Road bike, 26”, and 27.5+ Tire Mountain bikes with it. Sometimes all of those wheel sizes at the same time.

What’s your recommendation?
New bikes with consistent wheel size. J/K Yakima holdup, I've used it for about 2 years and seems solid. A little heavy, the lighter version is too mucho dinero!

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I was and am a big fan of 1up but after losing mine off the back road of somewhere in Chester, I couldnt bring myself to $$$$ on a new one then a fat kit. I ended getting rockymounts mono rail 2 bike rack for half the price. I am exceptionally pleased with the quality and no need for extras. All wheel size bikes fit. Your problem is 4 bikes and there only one is the upgrade version split rail rack but still less then a 1up 4 bike kit. Another option is Hollywood racks or north shore racks, extremely popular out west and amongst the gravity crew. I pretty sure @chemgirl has one and can offer her opinion and probably brought it from out west. Hope this helps....

RSAmerica

I am happy with my Thule T2 Classic it’s very sturdy and I just got the Add-On to make it into a 4 bike setup for big road trips. FYI, I got the rack 1/2 off (HighGear going out of biz sale) and the Add-On cheap too. So I did not look at any other brands before buying.

ilnadi

I have a hollywood. It is a frame grabber (instead of tire grabber) and is 2/4 bike convertible. ou adjust the wheel holders any way you want. I now have 3 normal and 1 fat bike holder. Downsides: it is a beast, heavy; the set-up/takedown is awkward. the paint is peeling off and there is rust everywhere. OTOH it is so much steel not sure what the rust is doing to it. If I had to do it again I'd get something lighter and maybe not so bomb-proof.

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Sorry I thought Hollywood made a rack like northshore

Northshore rack
475f00b48354daa6c0d2464037cd830f.jpg

Rockymounts splitrail
Rocky-Mounts-rack-review-split-rail-24.jpg

MadisonDan

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Thule will carry anything from a kids bike up to a fat bike, methinks.
I has the double. It heavy, but strong AF.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
i gotz the kuat - $$$ tho. and heavy, like really heavy.
works great tho.
do a two bike hitch 1-up, and a couple on the roof..the 2 bike 1-up
will make lots of sense as the family goes in different directions on certain days.
and easier to deal with 1 bike if needed.

Matt_

I Get Jokes
I use 3 racks on the daily:
Thule T2 XT Pro
Kuat NV 2.0
1up

Carry 20", 24", 29ers, and fatbikes any given day.

My nod goes to the Thule. Only two negatives are:
1) when in 4 bike mode, most fat bikes cant be in 3rd spot because derailleur hits arm of 2nd spot.
2) it's a bit of a PITA to swap between 2 and 4 bike modes... but I have the process down to less than 10 min.

The Kuat is much easier to swap between 2 and 4 bike modes, but:
1) is impossible to tilt down/up without someone to help
2) has noticeably more bars/seat interference of bikes VS the T2

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I not trying to shit on anybody's rack but I guess I just did.

Thule and Yamika dont even compare rockymounts quality. You need to see first hand.

RobW

i heard that thule is going to put a rack out that is just like the 1UP, so you may want to wait for that if the 1up isnt your thanggg

iman29

I only have experience with the Thule XT Pro2 with 2" hitch that I bought off here from someone for a great deal, and I have only used it with 2 bikes so far, a few times with 2 MTB (26 and 29) and a few times with 2 road bikes.

When I was looking into a rack I had the same problem, totally overwhelmed and they are so much money brand new. I decided on this one and I waited patiently to get the one I have used for a decent price, but I guess you could try to catch a sale at some point.

Pros:
- as others have stated its built solid and the trays accept all kinds of bikes out of the box including fatbikes.
- no frame clamping its all from the wheels
- setup and operating it are not that complicated
- key locks the hitch to the car, and also the built in cable locks that come out of the clamping arm
- solid build and the bikes dont seem to move around a lot with any bad bouncing

Cons:
- the main 2 bike part is a bit heavy, but not terrible though I didnt really compare it to any others in person. I could see with the add on this thing will be a beast size wise.
- cable locks are not foolproof but I am sure no one on here would rely only on those and leave the bikes on the rack for any extended period
- With 2 MTB bikes I had some minor ground clearance issues on my 2013 Santa Fe when backing up into my driveway, but I have an aftermarket Curt hitch on there, and I probably went a little too fast and scraped it a little. Good thing they designed a little steel skid plate on the hitch just for that purpose so no damage.

Overall I would probably buy this one again if I had my choice, mostly because I got great customer service. the rack I got was missing one of the rubber guards from the rear wheel strap on one of the trays, and when I emailed Thule they sent it to me free with no questions asked!

Hope that helps and good luck.

Robin

I have the Thule XT Pro2 1.25" hitch mount rack (which is similar to the 2"). It fits all of my bikes - BMX to DH and the tire tray can accommodate a Fat Bike. I realize that this only carries 2 bikes but what I wanted to chime in about was their Warranty and customer service.

I did have some excessive rusting on the arm of one of the trays after only 2 years. Thule stepped up with their Warranty and not only replaced one tray but both trays - and very speedy responses/delivery. So I'm quite happy with their customer service and Warranty.

Ron

We have the Hollywood rack, 4 bike. I like that you can pull off a section and use as a 2 bike set up if needed. It is heavy and well built. We put anything from a 29", 27.5, 26, and 20 bike on it, and they stay put.

Top Bottom