High Mountain Conditions

Mtbdog

When doing Wolf ccw I always do that and don't realize it until I'm in the wet area of lower wolf. That's a fun loop you put together! @ReggieHammond if you enjoyed the plateau loops you will love ancients,rambler, cracked foundation, water tower , glass, secrets, indians to shelf. Hopefully you can ride HM on Sunday!

roc

When doing Wolf ccw I always do that and don't realize it until I'm in the wet area of lower wolf. That's a fun loop you put together! @ReggieHammond if you enjoyed the plateau loops you will love ancients,rambler, cracked foundation, water tower , glass, secrets, indians to shelf. Hopefully you can ride HM on Sunday!
I love ancients. We had a little bit of time restrictions, I figured if he’s never been to high mountain, you have to go to the top and get the view.

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
Got slightly lost because of the leaves at Ancients today and I ran into this...
Screen Shot 2018-12-01 at 5.19.05 PM.png

serviceguy

In theory. It's definitely not allowed, but people do hunt there. There is a tree stand off one trail that overlooks a large bucket on a tripod, that has a mechical spreader. Maybe for corn or some kind of bait.
What if you kick it ?

roc

Is there any authority poachers should be reported to?
There is a no hunting trespassing sign with ten feet of the tree stand. It could be private property, in any case, I can't see the police doing anything. I like to let sleeping dogs lay.

Mtbdog

One poacher is most probably the grounds keeper from the golf course. When I found carcasses I followed tracks to golf course. On the other side of the mt. by the ganja farm(Pauls picture of lair) is probably police or local who knows police(dpw worker etc..). Over by blue trail it's neighbors that live along berdan ave. Backyards there are not defined on the ground only a map and they hunt and quad pretty much freely. That 55 gallon sized feeder near dark forest is most likely grounds keeper also.

JerseyPete

Is there any authority poachers should be reported to?

If it was on the marked trails clearly in the Preserve, that is one thing. NJ Conservation Officer, not local police.

Do you know for certain it is on Preserve land not private property?
Even then it is still a tough call. First question from the CO, what trail were you on? Answer, mtb-ing on non-marked trails...
Just stay away and be aware that the area may be hunted, and may be legal for all we know. And if it is not legal, action may not be predictable for the hunter or riding. There was already nail boards in this park not long ago, yes?

serviceguy

If it was on the marked trails clearly in the Preserve, that is one thing. NJ Conservation Officer, not local police.

Do you know for certain it is on Preserve land not private property?
Even then it is still a tough call. First question from the CO, what trail were you on? Answer, mtb-ing on non-marked trails...
Just stay away and be aware that the area may be hunted, and may be legal for all we know. And if it is not legal, action may not be predictable for the hunter or riding. There was already nail boards in this park not long ago, yes?
That’s why I specifically used the word poacher.

Mtbdog

Yes it is preserve land, and what their doing is ILLEGAL!!! So it's fair game. If you want to hunt illegally fine,but to destroy trails above and beyond normal,rational actions is not acceptable someone gonna get hurt walking the trails never mind riding. The white trail has been next to the course for 45 years that I been going up there and now there are signs back further in the woods are bogus I will get the map at town hall and that should show where the borders are. I shouldn't have to worry about getting shot in a public park, run over by a few Nazi killers. Big men shoot something that doesn't shoot back,cowards, in a confined park where the animals are used to human traffic, lots of skill there aye.

JerseyPete

If the Conservation Officer gets rid of the ILLEGAL hunter, is there any risk they will also get rid of the ILLEGAL trails?

Mtbdog

Those trails are not illegal they've been there for hundreds of years by the Indians (Leni-Lenape I believe) and bikers only rediscovered them. All the colored trails are fire roads to aid in assistance to hikers and anyone else. The what we call singletrack was individual roads to the houses that the McBride company was going to build on the mt. but the money ran out, and they(McBride) ceded the land as a preserve. This is where the plateau's come from up there(think the loops). Why should a few bad people(hunters) be allowed to commandeer a whole nature preserve when hundreds use it daily? What gives them the right to do illegal things and see no repercussions for their actions while we cower in the corner? B.S. It's not the American way to sit idle. Stand for what is right or you'll fall for anything!

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions