High Mountain Conditions

piffinainteasy

anyone have a good suggestion for my first ride out here? just got into mountain biking this year, long time bmxer. was at lewis morris last week and was pretty sweet, but looking to hit more places in the area.

thinking of going today around 530/6pm so would only have a good 1-2 hours of day light. looks like parking at the bottom on college road is best entrance?

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
With all the recent "improvements" at HM, I would strongly urge for someone to give you a tour or at least maprika. Could get lost.

I think there is a group ride tomorrow.

piffinainteasy

appreciate it, might do a little riding there today and maybe check it out tomorrow too. downloaded the maprika map and put a route through on strava so i should be alright.

Mr.Moto

Just rode there tonight with someone that really knows the trails. This place just gets better and better. With a mix of technical singletrack, rocks, rollers and elevation this place has a lot to offer. We did 10 miles, a lot of it on the "newer" stuff and it was a blast.

Last edited:

piffinainteasy

High Mt has more elevation change than most parks around.

Stick to the plateau trails if you want to avoid major climbs:
Glass, Junkyard, Secret, Wolf, Indians, Shelf and Twisty Deer Path,

These three all terminate at the same spot and have moderate climbs:
Cracked Foundation, Snake, and Dark Forest. Dark Forest is the easiest of the 3 to climb.

These all have tough climbs:
Skytop, Deer Pen.

Most of the blazed trails are washed out fire roads.

Maprika will be a big help if you don't have a guide. Enjoy!

will have to get back out there. i really stuck to the yellow and red trails and took my time getting around but holy hell were there a ton of rocks and can see what you meant by washed out roads/trails. will have to explore the options you mentioned. are they are rocky and loose as the red/yellow trails? those were pretty brutal haha

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
will have to get back out there. i really stuck to the yellow and red trails and took my time getting around but holy hell were there a ton of rocks and can see what you meant by washed out roads/trails. will have to explore the options you mentioned. are they are rocky and loose as the red/yellow trails? those were pretty brutal haha
Many who visit HM alone are introduced with the colored trails and they don't come back. You have to ride the unmarked trails and since the unmarked trails usually runs along the colored trails, it could get confusing which is where a guide can be of help. There are hardly any loose rocks on the unmarked trails. But I do love the the colored trails when ripping it on a downhill.

piffinainteasy

Many who visit HM alone are introduced with the colored trails and they don't come back. You have to ride the unmarked trails and since the unmarked trails usually runs along the colored trails, it could get confusing which is where a guide can be of help. There are hardly any loose rocks on the unmarked trails. But I do love the the colored trails when ripping it on a downhill.

i did find a couple on my route down with that seemed to be cut out somewhat recently that were real fun to rip down but ya that was pretty brutal with all the rocks. it's close enough that i would definitely go back, just pick a different route. seems like a lot of people enjoy it there so im looking to find my way.

definitely wouldnt mind being given a tour of the joint. some of the maps ive seen arent too great either, but strava's online map shows a lot of the non colored trails which is pretty cool

nj6964

how well does high mtn drain off after a rain? I was hoping to hit it today around 1 pm as long as its not raining. I rode there once in an area that was almost all rocks so I'm thinking it should drain well. If anyone's looking to get out today around 1 I don't bite. thanks.

1TrackMind

It seems like the unblazed trails drain well while the blazed trails have some swampy parts... I have never ridden them less then 24 hours after a rain... How were they?

nj6964

Conditions were great, the ground was firm just a little moist. The rain was light enough that the trees really shielded the trail and myself from too much rain.

Thanks a ton to berms for creating that Maprika map, I checked it a bunch and it worked like a charm. I rode it counterclockwise, is that typically the direction people ride the trail? There were a few rock gardens that I went downhill thru that would be wicked going uphill. Also that switchback to the top tells me how much I improving I need to do. Overall a great trail.

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Caution! Someone has been sabotaging the trails at High Mt. Today I found 8 piles of roofing nails covered with leaf piles in the trail on the lower half of Dark Forest. I removed everything I found and filled up gallon bag with the nails. Please post if you find any other nonsense to keep us all aware.

That's crazy. Probably the same asshat that was always putting logs across the trail coming down from the top. Did you let Steve know?

nj6964

Wow that's weird. I was riding there yesterday and saw a few empty shotgun shells on the trails. Anyone know what those could be from. It looked like the brass corroded away so maybe they were really really old.

roc

Caution! Someone has been sabotaging the trails at High Mt. Today I found 8 piles of roofing nails covered with leaf piles in the trail on the lower half of Dark Forest. I removed everything I found and filled up gallon bag with the nails. Please post if you find any other nonsense to keep us all aware.
View attachment 36901
Other than that...the trails are in perfect conditions.
where is dark forest?

crkiernan

Good Morning! I am new to mtbnj & forums in general but I thought this information deemed post worthy! I see that someone else has posted sightings of jerkass nails discretely placed on a few of the trails here at high mountain. I was out yesterday on grandpa's favorite and pop! Damn near instant flat. My advice is always bring good friends & extra equipment to make sure you can get out while still having fun. Having to walk our bikes out is exactly what this culprit wants. (I did NOT walk my bike out, ha!) My question is, what if a horse steps on it? Or a dog? What if someone not properly dressed happens to step on a nail bare foot? What then? So, what's the purpose of the nails? To take us down one tire at a time?! If that is the case, whomever behind the nails is...well, a loser. Sorry, mountain biking is legal in Passaic County. Pump the brakes!
NAILS.JPG

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions