High Gear Cyclery go out of biz?

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
No grand opening. I drive by this place many times a week and it was a soft opening for sure. It's slowly been getting branded. But it's also still raw. The signs have been going up slowly but I think they are all temporary still.

My guess? They wanted to have something in place for the summer. Just to make sure they capture that drive-by/routine client base that just goes there and does not read the Internet and knows nothing about what happened. It would be a huge miss to leave the store dormant for a full summer then try to re-start again next year.

Jforce

I'm surprised a company as large as Trek with such a big retail division would open softly. All of the big retailers & restaurant chains have contractors and start up crews and they can open and staff a new location in a matter of weeks.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I'm surprised a company as large as Trek with such a big retail division would open softly. All of the big retailers & restaurant chains have contractors and start up crews and they can open and staff a new location in a matter of weeks.

They can't afford to send the personnel out at this time of year. I think the idea was to do that in February but it all fell apart. Then this was the sort of last-ditch effort to put something together.

This is based on a combination of second-hand discussions and speculation.

The Kalmyk

Is this a stand alone unit or in a stripe mall? I would like to know who owns the real asset (property). Does anyone know this? It could explain a lot.

Could it be an asset liquidation of the previous owner?

Last edited:

qclabrat

Is this a stand alone unit or in a stripe mall? I would like to know who owns the real asset (property). Does anyone know this? It could explain a lot.
stand alone building, not sure who owns it? Though I'd be surprised if it was the former owner, as its a fairly prime corner property with a large parking lot.

The Kalmyk

stand alone building, not sure who owns it? Though I'd be surprised if it was the former owner, as its a fairly prime corner property with a large parking lot.

Hmmm. Then why would Trek try to sell out of such an expensive property? Retail in NJ is super difficult across all markets. Labor costs alone are silly. Not saying they are wrong but just wondering why.

Who is taking the risk? Trek? Is the previous owner still involved?

Last edited:

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's

Independently owned, as I understand it.

The Kalmyk

I wonder when that lease was last signed. Generally speaking commercial contracts are a minimum 10 years.

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I'm curious how this will pan out with Trek/Marty's as Marty's is well connected with Trek, and has been for decades.

MadisonDan

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I'm curious how this will pan out with Trek/Marty's as Marty's is well connected with Trek, and has been for decades.
They used to be a Specialized shop, at least from ~2009 to 2014 or 15. Don't know about before that, but yeah, now they're all Trek.

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
They used to be a Specialized shop, at least from ~2009 to 2014 or 15. Don't know about before that, but yeah, now they're all Trek.

They had Specialized, but I think they've been Trek since the 70s.

It's a deep enough relationship they have that Marty felt comfortable inviting me and a few others hanging around to an open bar small party down in DC a few years ago Trek had for VIPs. I think I ate my weight in lobster tails.

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.

I know personally I'd be furious if a manufacturer opened a few minutes down the street. They're now in competition with their supplier!!?? They have unlimited access to inventory and can sell at a lower margin because they're cutting out the middle man. Corporate pockets are deeper than any local businesses and they can easily put Marty's under if they flexed even a fraction of their power.

MadisonDan

Team MTBNJ Halter's
They had Specialized, but I think they've been Trek since the 70s.

It's a deep enough relationship they have that Marty felt comfortable inviting me and a few others hanging around to an open bar small party down in DC a few years ago Trek had for VIPs. I think I ate my weight in lobster tails.
:shrug: The Morristown location didn't have a single Trek on the floor for a few years. Lovers quarrel? I dunno. I bought four Specialized bikes from them, never even seeing a Trek, and the Sunday Group rides were like an S-Works parade, until magically they weren't.

Jforce

The property is owned by the founder of High Gear. They were on the side of the Stirling Shoprite building before buying and moving to the property on the corner of Vally & Main . My guess is the landlord is tickled to have a paying tenant.

Top Bottom