Help with knee pads

jerseyjeffr

I am getting back into mountain biking after a good long while off of the bike (hint my last bike had a triple ring up front and v-brakes) and I have been having a blast. A family member did a number on her knee on a bike, and I decided knee pads are pretty cheap insurance. I have been looking at lighter pads, and currently the two I have narrowed it down to are the Troy Lee Speed Sleeves and the Fox Launch Enduro knee pads. The price on the two pads are pretty much the same, and I have worn both for a bit, and tried both spinning on a stationary bike. They pretty much feel about the same. The fox pads have low density foam, and the TLD pads have a VERY thin layer of D30. Does anyone have either of these pads and have you crashed hard in them? should I be looking at something thicker? (Last knee pads I wore was for tiling, so I am wondering if everything is going to feel thin). This will be for chasing my kids in places like 6 mile, Tourne, and chimney rock. I am also not going to be setting any records for speed.

Ryan.P

Team MTBNJ Halter's
+1 for troy Lee speed sleeve I pretty much wear them all the time . Can't say how much they actually protect you but climbing technical stuff and spinning the tire and smashing the stem with my knee is non issue with these pads just enough to keep that pain free.

MissJR

not in the mood for your shenanigans
Team MTBNJ Halter's
+1 G form for trail riding.

I have heavier stuff for the little down hilling I do, but for the places you mentioned, I just use g form.... And I've taken some good spills with them and walked away without injury.

Juggernaut

Master of the Metaphor
^ Concur, the g-form pads are super light and flexible yet do an unexpectedly good job at keeping my impromptu dismounts........ repeatable.

qclabrat

You won't wear them if you find them restrictive especially for XC riding, go with the TLD or others recommended here

Top Bottom